Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Select Committee on Benghazi

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Well didn't somebody say "never let a crisis go to waste"?
    I'm thinking that was Bush/Cheney

<LOL> Go reread your history book.

and Bush/Cheney used it perfectly..... However it was Winston Churchill that said it.

Accurate tweet

Did Obama fly to a campaign fundraiser the night of the Benghazi attack?

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    People who supported HRC will find things to justify their position. People who demonized her will find things to justify their position.
    I am not a supporter of her, nor do I want to demonize her. I was just confused what was happening. It actually looked like a debate instead of a hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Did Obama fly to a campaign fundraiser the night of the Benghazi attack?
    This reminds me of the time George played golf before going to the site of Hurricane Katrina.

I am not really a Hillary supporter (to be honest I don't really know if I would vote for any candidate at this point) but listening to some of the coverage on NPR people would just say a statement with no question half the time. This just seems like a waste of time. I am thinking Hillary might come out on top from this since it was kind of side show with nothing really gained from it.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I am not really a Hillary supporter (to be honest I don't really know if I would vote for any candidate at this point) but listening to some of the coverage on NPR people would just say a statement with no question half the time. This just seems like a waste of time. I am thinking Hillary might come out on top from this since it was kind of side show with nothing really gained from it.
    I have a few friends who vote strictly for Republican candidates. They want the hearings to stop as well. They think it is helping her and hurting the Republican party. Regardless of the outcome of the hearings, we all know that what happened that night was a horrible thing. We weren't expecting it, but we also didn't act accordingly.

If anybody could be honest, nothing came of yesterday and that wasn't the point of the hearings anyway. The only point is an attempt to make something appear sinister.

But what's the point of that? Hillary isn't losing support from her base or those in the center who aren't ever going to vote for Trump or Carson. Those who will vote for Trump or Carson will never accept Hillary in any capacity other than as a federal prisoner for the mere crime of being alive.

Rush Limbaugh has made a career of demanding imprisonment for Hillary.

What's the point again? To find the truth or the version of the truth that favors one party over the other?

Whitewater snipe hunt version two.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    "(A)Torture.—
    The act of a person who commits, or conspires or attempts to commit, an act specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control for the purpose of obtaining information or a confession, punishment, intimidation, coercion, or any reason based on discrimination of any kind."

You'd have a hard time trying to convict the president of torturing anyone, except maybe during the state of the union speeches. And I'm not sure the English language counts as an enemy combatant.
    I think you'd have a hard time convicting the president anytime for anything. But the key word here is conspire, which is "make secret plans jointly to commit an unlawful or harmful act." If what was done was torture, and the U.S had previously defined much of it as such, and Cheney or Bush discussed using the techniques, which we know they did because there are memos of them discussing it, then they conspired to commit war crimes. Or, really, what they did is redefine those crimes as permissible.

And the difficulty in getting in getting a conviction if anyone ever wanted to try and go to trial (which they won't), would really stem from that last part. They basically just changed the rules for themselves and said that things that had been considered torture by the US since WWII are now no longer torture. Whether they can actually do that or not would most likely be the ultimate legal question. This is something most in power do not want to challenge, which, to answer the original question, is why these principles will not be put on trial for conspiring to commit torture.

The Benghazi hearings though are completely different than a trial anyway. The hearings can be used for political leverage and to vet any allegations, but it won't affect real legal change or end in criminal charges. To date, it has been more about public shaming than public policy or legal allegations.
    Last edited by BDP; 10-23-2015 at 01:05 PM. Reason: I said they committed ware crimes and I didn't want anyone to think that they abused cutlery.

Puts a different light on it:
    Special committee on Benghazi needs to ask the right questions | News OK

Special committee on Benghazi needs to ask the right questions
    Oklahoman Published: October 23, 2015

Regardless of congressional intent in the investigation of the awful incidents in Benghazi, the special committee keeps asking the wrong questions.

Why was responsibility for security at our embassies and consulates taken from the U.S. Marine Corps and farmed out to private contractors? Security at our state facilities is not the immediate responsibility of the secretary of state. It's in the purview of the Diplomatic Security Service, which I served as a special investigator for some years after retirement from the Army. That agency responds to requests for added security. Our ambassador didn't request such until there was evidence of an escalated threat. The request was under review when the attack took place. There was no timely emergency response force available, because adding such required consultation with the contracting company.

Why did the ambassador refuse extra security in the first place, when it was offered? It was well known that dissident groups that were frozen out of the formation of a new Libyan government were exploring opportunities to attack U.S. persons. The ambassador wanted a low-profile chance to explore relationships with possible allies. The resulting risk escalation was not well analyzed.

Why is there a rush to find a person to blame when any good management analyst would immediately look at what was wrong with the system that allowed the failures that led to the deaths of our citizens?

Thomas Baines, Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    This reminds me of the time George played golf before going to the site of Hurricane Katrina.
    my point exactly and how many liberals ridiculed him for it? Even posters on this board have mentioned it. Never saw any ridicule for Obama going to a fundraiser though....

Regardless of congressional intent in the investigation of the awful incidents in Benghazi, the special committee keeps asking the wrong questions.

Why was responsibility for security at our embassies and consulates taken from the U.S. Marine Corps and farmed out to private contractors? Security at our state facilities is not the immediate responsibility of the secretary of state. It's in the purview of the Diplomatic Security Service, which I served as a special investigator for some years after retirement from the Army. That agency responds to requests for added security. Our ambassador didn't request such until there was evidence of an escalated threat. The request was under review when the attack took place. There was no timely emergency response force available, because adding such required consultation with the contracting company.

Why did the ambassador refuse extra security in the first place, when it was offered? It was well known that dissident groups that were frozen out of the formation of a new Libyan government were exploring opportunities to attack U.S. persons. The ambassador wanted a low-profile chance to explore relationships with possible allies. The resulting risk escalation was not well analyzed.

Why is there a rush to find a person to blame when any good management analyst would immediately look at what was wrong with the system that allowed the failures that led to the deaths of our citizens?

Honestly when you look at the hearings it is kind of sad. Why can't they spend less time on a hearing and maybe find a better way to protect embassies or see what went wrong in this instance? Politics man.

Why was responsibility for security at our embassies and consulates taken from the U.S. Marine Corps and farmed out to private contractors?

Oh man, can we have 21 hearings on that alone, please.

I also I agree that as frequent as attacks on our diplomats around the world are, we should be constantly monitoring the threats to them and adjusting to them. Using a middle man seems to only slow that down. Our embassies and foreign diplomats are really the most accessible targets symbolizing the US around the world. I don't think a lot of people realize the risks they take to try and keep America safe and the world as a whole more stable. Without their presence, I think there'd be even more chaos, but it does create a security liability that probably shouldn't just be farmed out for profit.

So when does Petreus, the Sec. of Defense at the time, and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff get called?

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    From everything I've heard yesterday was not a good day for the committee, at least the Republicans on the committee.
    FOX became the first news channel to quit coverage at 4:00. You knew it was not going well in the star chamber for their allies.

Cha Ching...

Benghazi hearing floods Clinton campaign coffers with cash

Call it the Committee To Increase Hillary Clinton's Fundraising.

Donations have been flooding into campaign coffers over the past 13 hours since her testimony in front of the House Benghazi committee wrapped late Thursday night, thrilling Clinton fundraisers on the eve of a weekend-long finance committee meeting that couldn’t have come at a better time. According to communications director Jennifer Palmieri, the hour between 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. last night was their best fundraising hour of the campaign to date. Rallying in Virginia Friday, Clinton said her campaign had broken the 500,000 donor mark, meaning she has gotten over 100,000 new contributors in October alone.
    Benghazi hearing floods Clinton campaign coffers with cash - POLITICO

Speaking of made up crisis...

The Justice Department notified members of Congress that it is closing its two-year investigation into whether the IRS improperly targeted tea party and other conservative groups. There will be no charges against former IRS official Lois Lerner or anyone else at the agency.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    my point exactly and how many liberals ridiculed him for it? Even posters on this board have mentioned it. Never saw any ridicule for Obama going to a fundraiser though....
    How many hearings did Congress have about the poor handling of Katrina?

He wasn't just playing golf but he did stay on vacation.

President George W. Bush was nearing the end of a month-long vacation at his Crawford, Texas, ranch on August 29, 2005, when Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast of the United States.

In 2001, the Federal Emergency Management Agency ranked a major hurricane strike on New Orleans as “among the three likeliest, most catastrophic disasters facing this country,” directly behind a terrorist strike on New York City. Yesterday, disaster struck. And even as one of the strongest storms in recorded history rocked the Gulf Coast, President Bush decided to continue his vacation, visiting the Pueblo El Mirage RV and Golf Resort in El Mirage, Ariz.

The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

Matt Taibbi had about as much to say in his piece

Trey Gowdy Just Elected Hillary Clinton President

Trey Gowdy Just Elected Hillary Clinton President | Rolling Stone

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    I am not a supporter of her, nor do I want to demonize her. I was just confused what was happening. It actually looked like a debate instead of a hearing.
    It was just a show. Same questions, same answers. It was all about beating up on Hillary, and had very little to do with the how and why. Whole lines of questioning were devoted to wether or not ambassador Stevens had HRC's personal contact information, as though that makes any difference. Sad.

I saw a meme on Facebook that said Bernie Sanders was demanding that Trey Gowdy investigate him in the interests of equal time.

Marines do still guard embassies. They don't guard ambassadors, and the facility in Benghazi is neither an embassy nor a consulate, so marines would have no authority or mandate there.

Thread Information