Thread: OKC Development on Google Maps

Default Re: OKC Development on Google Maps

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I've been helping out where I can too.
    Thanks a million!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We have a 'dead' project list.

What do you think should be moved to 'on-hold'?
    Flatiron Phase 2? OK Contemporary? Where is that Canopy Hotel? FNC is getting AICC'd by the state (tax credits). Sycamore Square expansion or whatever that's called? Anything Dowell related? The Civic condos? That C2S law firm?

There's more that's just off memory. I am NOT trying to make OKC look bad. Honestly I am impressed that my gut tells me downtown will be buoyed by the national trend into cities, and ride the storm around the rest of the state. I hope. But it's natural that stuff will fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Flatiron Phase 2? OK Contemporary? Where is that Canopy Hotel? FNC is getting AICC'd by the state (tax credits). Sycamore Square expansion or whatever that's called? Anything Dowell related? The Civic condos? That C2S law firm?
    Flatiron 2 is future development, not on hold. It was never expected to start soon.

Canopy has moved to Bodyworks site and a new hotel is going in at Sheridan and Oklahoma.

FNC is moving forward every day.

Sycamore Square is moving forward.

Dowell is already working on Dowell Center and everything else of his is complete.

Civic condos are well under construction.

Law Firm project in C2S is dead.

Just did a massive update to this...

For those helping with the map, this is a good checklist to make sure everything is covered:

Urban Project Summary - OKCTalk

Very nice!

Here is a link to the maps on Gmaps for this page: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...0.k6VwEG_cmKNg

Is it possible to shift these to a different category or map once completed? It seems a shame to lose the coordinates and links on the site for projects once done.

It would be nice to have a different color / category for complete, under construction and planned.

We have Orange for u/c, blue for proposed(would proposed be planned?), so if someone wants to make one for complete feel free! How long should the completed projects stay on the map?

I had actually added a "Completed Projects" category (colored light gray) some time ago, but it appears to have been removed. Completed projects could stay on the map pretty much indefinitely, as you can turn the display of entire categories on and off with just one checkbox, but we might want to standardize with adding a completion date either to the title or body of the info popup. If we do want completed projects to drop off, I'd say the time limit should be something like 6 months to a year or so...

Also, how are we defining the cut between "Proposed" and "Under Construction"? Does a project flip to U/C when a permit is issued, or once dirt starts moving? My thought would be once actual construction begins, but what do you guys say?

I went ahead and added the "Completed" category back.

This is awesome!

I did something similar a while back but it was too much work for just me to keep current.

Thanks so much guys and keep up the great work!

Here is how to add an image to the map for each project, which is easy to do and will greatly enhance the info.:

1. To get the URL for the image (off the Urban Project Summary or from the wiki article; these are all sized at 375 px wide) , just right click on the image itself and chose 'Copy image address' to put it on your clipboard:

2. Then, go to the map and click on the project. A box pops up and at the bottom there is a camera icon; when you click on it you'll see this:

3. Merely paste the link from the picture into the Image URL box.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I had actually added a "Completed Projects" category (colored light gray) some time ago, but it appears to have been removed. Completed projects could stay on the map pretty much indefinitely, as you can turn the display of entire categories on and off with just one checkbox, but we might want to standardize with adding a completion date either to the title or body of the info popup. If we do want completed projects to drop off, I'd say the time limit should be something like 6 months to a year or so...

Also, how are we defining the cut between "Proposed" and "Under Construction"? Does a project flip to U/C when a permit is issued, or once dirt starts moving? My thought would be once actual construction begins, but what do you guys say?
    You know, that has been an issue I have had. Since I'm no longer in Oklahoma, I can't be there to see if the projects have turned dirt or not so with the smaller projects I've just been making them show as U/C after a permit has been issued, but with the more high profile ones, I've been waiting for actual construction reports.

I agree with you I'd wait until they actually start construction.

You guys need to look into having only approved people make changes.

As it is, anyone can change or delete things posted to the map.

How would I go about doing that? I know there is a function where you can make it editable by anyone or only the person that started the map. Is there a way to select certain people?

That is one thing that has concerned me is a troll going through and doing something stupid like deleting a bunch of stuff for no reason or the like.

Click the Share button, then under Who has access, click Change.... Select your preference for how people can access your map - Either On - Public on the web or On - Anyone with the link are the options you want. This only changes how users can view your map. To change the Edit preference, change the Access: drop-down to Can view, then click Save. Finally, back on the Sharing Settings screen, under Invite people:, enter the user names or e-mail addresses of the users you would like to specifically grant edit access to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Google Maps Edit Setting 1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	12244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Google Maps Edit Setting 2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	12245

^

So, PluPan is the owner?

If so, they anyone wanting edit access needs to send him a PM with your email address or Google ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here is how to add an image to the map for each project, which is easy to do and will greatly enhance the info.
    I'll go through sometime this week and add as much as I can.

This is such a valuable resource and tool I created a page for it and embedded the map:

Development Map - OKCTalk

And for quick reference, it's now a drop-down selection on the Urban Projects menu:

Thanks to all who have and continue to contribute to this project!

I added a bunch of pictures to a lot of the developments.

122nd & Rockwell

There is some dirty movement on the south side of the new Autozone.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    122nd & Rockwell

There is some dirty movement on the south side of the new Autozone.
    Zaxby's

I added the future commuter rail. This will be really cool to see come to fruition.

What kind of timeline are we looking at for the commuter rail line?

I have updated several projects on there to add pictures and fix broken links. PS, if anyone wants to edit just ask me, Pete, or Baralheia, the more people contributing the better. You don't have add pictures or even link. If you see something being built and can just add it to the map, I'm sure Pete, me, or Baralheia will fix it up. Cheers

BTW, there is quite an impressive amount of construction going on. I want to see more on the southside though.

PPS, does anyone want to see single family subdivisions or should we just leave those off? I have added a few notorious ones, but I can add everyone I see on Oklahoma City council meetings, it just takes more time but it's harder to place those in proposed and move them to construction or keep them categorized right as I don't live in the metro anymore and it's hard to know when they're actually under-construction.

Thread Information