Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunnyside Diner

Classen Sunnyside Diner

Coming to the west side of downtown.

Cracking eggs and smiles: New diner coming to downtown OKC’s west side
    By Molly M. Fleming
    The Journal Record

OKLAHOMA CITY – The city’s west side will have a new diner by early 2016.

Shannon Roper and Aly Branstetter of S&B’s Burger Joint are creating a restaurant that they think is needed in the market, Branstetter said.

“We wanted a place where we can go get home-cooked food like you would have on a Sunday morning, and not be so weighed down that we can’t do anything the rest of the day, and a place that’s not so high-end I had to fix my hair,” she said. “There wasn’t a place where we could go, so we decided to make one.”

Sunnyside Diner will be in the former Mid-Town Service Center at NW Sixth Street and Classen Boulevard. The building sits on the corner, but the diner will be in the all-glass side that faces Sixth Street. Construction has started and an opening is anticipated for February 2016.

The diner will offer breakfast and lunch from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. The menu has recipes from Roper’s mom, with Hillbilly’s chef Norm Thomas adding some tweaks. Urban Agrarian will supply local eggs, and Henderson Coffee will provide the daily roast. The diner will have a liquor license and offer mimosas, bloody mary’s, and other concoctions to get one’s day started.

Robot House Creative design company created the logo and tagline for the company. Brian Winkeler with Robot House said he asked Branstetter and Roper what would be a theme song for the restaurant, and one answer was Lionel Richie’s Easy Like Sunday Morning.

Now, the restaurant wants people to feel like “It’s always Sunday morning,” as seen in the tagline.
    Winkeler’s design sets the diner’s aesthetic, with a vintage, clean feel and a bright, cheery sunny egg. His team also created the re-branding for Hillbilly’s, formerly Hillbilly’s Po Boys and Oysters.

Inside Sunnyside, customers can sit at the bar, a booth or a table. The wall will have black-and-white photos of the city’s west side during its earlier years.

While the west side might have been bustling years ago, it’s nearly vacant compared to downtown’s east side. Branstetter said she and Roper think the area will be the next big place, with housing under construction, the 21c Museum Hotel in development and more apartments planned.

“When you think about that (tagline) and see that logo, we want people to know that the warmest, happiest people are going to be serving you these amazing dishes that your mom cooked or Grandma cooked every Sunday,” she said. “It’s going to be a bright, uplifting place that will give you great stuff.”

Default Re: Sunnyside Diner

This looks great! Sounds like they'll be offering "real food" for lunch. Thanks for posting!

3. Default Re: Sunnyside Diner

+++1 Yes!

That's the diner going into this development:

916 NW 6th - OKCTalk

5. Default Re: Sunnyside Diner

Looks like around 80 seats. Will probably be a line-out-the-door place like Waffle Champion most days.

Stoked that they're finally getting down to business on this project; I've known/been hearing about it for what seems like almost a couple of years now. It's a great, central location, and even more so considering that I'm just a few blocks away and I don't have to drive all the way to Beverly's or the like if I want some decent diner grub.

Aly is a good egg!.. I look forward to this getting open!

^

I'm two blocks away myself... I'm sure I'll be seeing you there!

I can't wait for this to open! Being able to walk a few blocks to a diner will change my life. I may give up my car.

This will likely become a great SoSA neighborhood hang-out.

This would make a great 24hr diner someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I agree. I am kind of disappointed this will be closing at 3PM. It's baffling why nobody in downtown OKC wants to take the plunge and open late nights. My guess is a lot of it has to do with the liquor laws in Oklahoma and the fact restaurants with ABC-2 licenses have to be completely cleared out by 2AM. They aren't allowed to simply stop serving alcohol yet keep serving food after-hours. To open a 24-hour diner in Oklahoma they would either need to serve no alcohol or 3.2 beer only.

This is another aspect of OK's liquor laws that need revised and I think that could easily be pushed as a public safety issue. It's more dangerous to dump people who have been drinking out to the streets at 1:45 then it is to have last call for alcohol at 2am but allowing establishments to stay open later if they choose like they can in most other states.

Knuck's is open until 3AM and Pump Bar and Guyutes also serve food late.

Those are three additions in just the last year. We're getting there.

No one at this point is going to go 24 hours and I don't blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. I am kind of disappointed this will be closing at 3PM. It's baffling why nobody in downtown OKC wants to take the plunge and open late nights. My guess is a lot of it has to do with the liquor laws in Oklahoma and the fact restaurants with ABC-2 licenses have to be completely cleared out by 2AM. They aren't allowed to simply stop serving alcohol yet keep serving food after-hours. To open a 24-hour diner in Oklahoma they would either need to serve no alcohol or 3.2 beer only.

This is another aspect of OK's liquor laws that need revised and I think that could easily be pushed as a public safety issue. It's more dangerous to dump people who have been drinking out to the streets at 1:45 then it is to have last call for alcohol at 2am but allowing establishments to stay open later if they choose like they can in most other states.
    That is extremely stupid. I will be writing a very strongly worded letter to someone about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I had a conversation with one of the workers at Empire Slice House about this, probably a year back when they kicked everyone out at 1:45. They said Oklahoma law requires ABC-2 licensed restaurants to have everyone out by 2AM. Has something changed recently or was the guy mistaking?

I agree that downtown isn't ready for a true 24-hour diner yet, especially one that's open all week. There needs to be more population density before that becomes viable. In the meantime, staying open until 3 or 4 on Friday and Saturday makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

R&J's also.

Given the choice, I'd rather have access to decent eggs sausages ham grits and good gravy between midnight and midnight next than add in the availability of a mixed drink to the rest of the lineup when one must cut the hours dramatically to include the drinks.

Nothing against a decent drink, but there is little better than fresh hot breakfast food to close off a night, or a very early jump start for the day.

That is extremely stupid. I will be writing a very strongly worded letter to someone about that.
    It is also not true.

And remember, it's not just a breakfast place. It's going to be good old fashioned diner food. The article specifically mentioned a daily roast. This will be great.

All a place has to do. Is be able to physically lock up all booze and the booze store room to be able to stay open and serve food only after 2 am

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    All a place has to do. Is be able to physically lock up all booze and the booze store room to be able to stay open and serve food only after 2 am
    Thanks for clarifying. Places that throw everyone out at 1:45 are probably places that don't want to or can't lock up their alcohol.

22. Default Re: Sunnyside Diner

^^^^^^^
    Exactly.

There used to be a little (kind of dumpy) place called the Rustic Inn cafe on 6th and Western that was 24 hrs a day. I used to go by there late night/early mornings back in the 70s and they made one of the best double cheeseburgers around. Back then you were pretty limited on dining options after about 10:00 pm. Nice to see this area come back alive.

BTW all the late night drunks would swarm the place around 2:00 am.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Im pretty sure that is incorrect unless it's an OKC specific law. Several restaurants in Norman operate as ABC-2 bars serving a full or near full bar worth of alcohol and stay open well after 2:00. Off the top of my head, New York Pizza & Pasta, Fuzzies, Pickleman's, and diamond dawgs.

There's a great diner in Dallas that just caps the bottles at 2am. The Texas laws let you keep your drink as long as it's served before 2. The OK laws don't allow anyone to touch a drink past 2 or in the case of abc-3 even stand inside the property after 2. Hence the mad rush to make sure every last body not on the time clock be out the door. Some places stop serving at 1:30 and let people meander out. Others do it at 1:45 then pressure the stragglers.

I think the smart thing to do here is design a cage around the bar. Like a shopping mall shutter.

Thread Information