Widgets Magazine

Thread: Donatos Pizza

Large Chain Donatos Pizza

Donatos has a franchisee in Oklahoma now, and the first location in Edmond (15th and Bryant) seems to be moving forward. This was announced a few months ago, but I had not heard anything until passing the new location: https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/don...nding-oklahoma

I lived in Ohio for a while, and these are everywhere there. It is the thin crust Connecticut style pizza, but slightly less of a salt crust than other examples. I would put the quality ranked quite a bit higher than other quick service pizza in Oklahoma (Domino's, Mazzio's, etc.) but a click down from Hideaway. I am looking forward to having this in Oklahoma!

Default Re: Donatos Pizza

^

Yes, I've talked to the local franchisee and they'll open in Edmond this summer.

More OKC-area locations will follow.

Thanks, Pete! I wish the local group a lot of luck. I think the concept will do well here.

Looks like the franchise group is made up of former Sonic bigwigs, and they are planning to open "dozens" of locations in OKC and Tulsa. Donatos' Columbus-style thin crust is supposed to be pretty similar to Chicago tavern-style pizza (just using provolone instead of mozzarella), and from what I gather it's their best-selling crust option. I'm pretty excited to give them a try, because I'm a FIEND for some good tavern-style pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Looks like the franchise group is made up of former Sonic bigwigs, and they are planning to open "dozens" of locations in OKC and Tulsa. Donatos' Columbus-style thin crust is supposed to be pretty similar to Chicago tavern-style pizza (just using provolone instead of mozzarella), and from what I gather it's their best-selling crust option. I'm pretty excited to give them a try, because I'm a FIEND for some good tavern-style pizza!
    74 has pretty good bar/tavern pizza.

Listed on their website. Coming soon to 1148 S Bryant Ave in Edmond.

I am so happy. I’m originally from Ohio and LOVE Donato’s. It’s my favorite pizza in the world. I never ever thought we would get them in Oklahoma. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    You will LOVE it!

Well their web site is horrible. Won't let you look at their menu without starting an order. I hate restaurant's that do that.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Won't let you look at their menu without starting an order. I hate restaurant's that do that.
    totally agree on this... it's poor useability in my opinion. some restaurant sites won't let you go through the order process outside of their business hours, so the place has to be open for you to even see what they serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    totally agree on this... it's poor useability in my opinion. some restaurant sites won't let you go through the order process outside of their business hours, so the place has to be open for you to even see what they serve.
    Wendy's was ridiculous yesterday, went to their website around 6:45 AM, wanted to see what their breakfast options were and it said "online ordering isn't working, head to a store", then brought up a map with no way to get to a menu! We just went to the 36th/May location since it's just a few blocks away, and has a big window sized sign saying "Dining Room opens at 6:30", and it wasn't open, and there was only one employee standing in the kitchen looking at her phone, ignoring the knocks on the door. **** Wendy's.

11. Default Re: Donatos Pizza

It's been about 20 years ago so my memory could be off a minute or two but I remember eating at a pizza place in Columbus that I think was Donato' s and I remember seeing their pepperoni pizza on a bill board and it was edge to edge pepperoni from center to crust on the sign.... We stopped and tried it and the pizza that hit the table looked exactly the same as was on the billboard. It was solid pizza.

Well their web site is horrible. Won't let you look at their menu without starting an order. I hate restaurant's that do that.
    It seems that the vast majority of restaurants I look at have websites set up like that. I just chalk it up to the ever expanding competence crisis this country is experiencing.

This is now open! I had it for lunch and it’s as good as I remember from Ohio, if not better!

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    It seems that the vast majority of restaurants I look at have websites set up like that. I just chalk it up to the ever expanding competence crisis this country is experiencing.
    This is done because it is easier to for them to change prices on certain items or other locations have set different prices. If a menu is created for all locations and they have to change costs then they have to create a different menu. Quite standard since the pandemic, but I do empathize with you as it is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    This is done because it is easier to for them to change prices on certain items or other locations have set different prices. If a menu is created for all locations and they have to change costs then they have to create a different menu. Quite standard since the pandemic, but I do empathize with you as it is annoying.
    So they should just not put prices on a general menu up on a website, lots of places do that, can stay the same for a long time...

We tried it last night on their grand opening. The service was really good and they were all very friendly. We ordered several things to try. We did like the crispy pepperoni on their "famous" thin crust, yes it was good. The Margherita pizza was good on their thin crust. The cheese pizza on their hand tossed crust was not cheesy at all -- there was not much cheese or sauce so it was quite a bit of crust. Wings were not good to us, I mean the skin was not crispy at all rather all chewy and lose but it did have a good mild sauce. The meatballs were small and doused in a shell of cheese, we weren't really impressed with them.

We'll keep the jury out. We really enjoyed the interaction with the employees so we will try it again. We were not blown away in the least bit, but we think it will be a great option for thin crust pizza via their drive-up take-out window.

I just checked out website and maybe they have changed it. Actually thought it was straight forward and easy to check out menu. Click on menu and ordering button. Was able to go through the entire menu without starting an order or entering any information Each item had a picture which is nice. Also, the price is listed. I have been to other sites that require you to actually start an order and enter information. This site doesn't do that and just gave me an option to hit an order button when going through the menu.

Tried it. liked it

Anything special about it? Or just good in general?

Was ok. Probably won’t go again since I don’t live near it. Wasn’t bad just generic.

Had a Pepperoni and a Works on Saturday, and it was exactly like I remember from living in Ohio.

I wish them well. The owners and staff seemed nice.

Gave it a try on Friday night, and if our experience is any indication, they are definitely suffering from some right-after-opening issues.

We had issues with the app but finally got the order in, though it wouldn't let us use any rewards it offered and staff on phone wasn't any help (think it was a call center). We hit go, and it said it'll be ready in an hour. Surely, that can't be right, we thought, and since we were already in the car, we figured we'd stop in and if they said that was right, we'd just cancel the order and get something else (it was already pretty late). When we got there, the young lady said it was about to come out of the oven, so cool. Well, apparently she lied because it was nowhere close to being ready.

When we finally did get our order, almost all of it was quite burned. The manager was extremely nice and apologetic. He offered to remake it, but by this point, it was really late and we didn't want to wait. He refunded our money and gave us vouchers for a future purchase, which was really nice of him.

We had ordered all three types of crust to try them all, and fortunately, there were a few fairly edible pieces on each. I actually really enjoyed the thin crust stuff; it was the best of the three in my opinion. The middle option was the least impressive to us. The nice thing was that the pizza actually had sauce. I hate, hate, hate dry pizza that so many places offer, so it was a pleasant surprise, and I liked the flavor of the sauce.

Given the manager's handling of the situation, we will definitely try it again, but we'll wait until they get some of the glitches worked out.

Thread Information