Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Eleanor (formerly Rockford)

Uptown/23rd The Eleanor (formerly Rockford)

The old Grandad's space will soon reopen as Rockford, a 70's-themed cocktail lounge.

The operators are Drew and Anna Mains of Knuck's Wheelhouse and In the Raw fame.

They still have a lot more furniture coming but I took this photo last week:

Also, this is their sign going up from https://twitter.com/robothouseOKC:

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Rockford

Can someone clarify what happened with Granddad's? I thought it was doing well, then it was gone.

There were issues with the main investor (who is still involved in Rockford) and the bar manager/operator.

The sign looks very nice along 23rd St at night. Once the Tower is complete, that stretch from Robinson to Shartel is going to be a real gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There were issues with the main investor (who is still involved in Rockford) and the bar manager/operator.
    This is somewhat vague.

6. Default Re: Rockford

Meh. Not everything needs to be hashed and rehashed in a public forum. It's a private business. Let's let their laundry stay in the hamper.

HangryHippo Guest

Are the former operator's of Granddad's looking for a new venture?

That ’70s bar: Couple mix up new format for former Grandad’s site
    By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record October 7, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – Northwest 23rd Street will have a new bar by month’s end, though the location previously drew crowds as another venue.

Grandad’s Bar, 317 NW 23rd St., is being refurbished and updated into Rockford: A Cocktail Den. The bar is owned by attorney Kyle Sweet and husband-and-wife team Anna and Drew Mains. The Mains operate two restaurants in Bricktown: Knucks Wheelhouse and In The Raw Sushi Bar.

“We’re excited to bring something Oklahoma City hasn’t seen yet,” Anna Mains said. “Our cocktail scene has grown rapidly here. We wanted to create something where you could have a drink specially made for you, but in a lighthearted setting.”

The Rockford name pays homage to Norman native James Garner, who played private detective Jim Rockford on TV’s The Rockford Files from 1974 to 1980. The show’s starting date influenced the bar’s interior.

Anna said they visited a bar in New York that was a throwback to the ’70s, but not the disco era. They loved the idea, and went to Brian Winkeler and his Robot House Creative design crew to create a brand.

Winkeler’s team scoured The Male Mystique, a book by Jacques Boyreau that features 1960s and 1970s male-focused magazine advertisements.

“We didn’t want it to be a Disneyland version of a ’70s bar,” Winkeler said. “We wanted it to be inspired by vintage elements.”

They were inspired to make a sexy, swagger feel for the logo and other promotional elements. The team browsed vintage Playboy magazines and found subtle yet sexy photographs. The group re-created the photos using Oklahoma City models, and the photos became the bar’s advertisements and other publicity material.

“I think (the concept) is definitely different than what anyone else is doing,” Anna said. “It’s racier than what anyone is doing right now.”

Original vintage Playboy photos will be inside the bathroom as well.

Other changes to the building’s interior include new paint, wallpaper, and period furniture that will be put in small, living room-type settings to keep the coziness of Grandad’s. Anna said hospitality is being emphasized strongly with her bar team because she wants customers to feel comfortable ordering their drinks or figuring out what they want to drink.

The bar will offer a modern take on classic cocktails, such as the Harvey Wallbanger, Long Island Iced Tea and pina coladas. The drinks will be made with fresh juices, house-made colas and house-made grenadine. Thirteen beers and three wines are slated for the tap, with bottled and canned beer available as well. Vintage-inspired bar snacks are being generated by Chef Jason Heald. The overall price point is $8 to $11.50 for a cocktail, including tax, and other drinks at a lower price.

The hospitality will extend outside, where Rockford will offer a free limo ride to customers who need transportation to their next location.

“It’s a nice way to encourage safe driving and not have to deal with parking somewhere else,” she said.

Winkeler said he enjoyed creating the logo and feel for a place that he thinks will be a huge success. It will open on Oct. 30.

“I hope there are lines out the door, because there’s nothing else like it,” he said.

9. Default Re: Rockford

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CQzSTjfUwAEYuJz.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	11590 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CQzmG0_U8AAgm7o.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	11591

I'm kinda excited about this place. It'll be different than anything I've ever experienced.

Drew and Anna really know what they are doing.

Talked to him extensively about this and they have really done their homework.

They've done a great job at Knuck's and In the Raw and I think this will be another success.

I'm a child of the 70's (graduated HS in 1978) so this is particularly appealing to me.

I'll be glad to try this out. It's cool to see more unique themed bars opening. Plus, this is within walking distance of where I live now so that is a huge plus.

13. Default Re: Rockford

Rockford Cocktail Den opens on Friday, October 30th.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12105812_620630848079480_6414567352884186956_n.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	11619

Is it just me or is that ad too provocative (and objectifying) for a cocktail lounge? Just seems like an ad for a strip club.

It's 70's swank.

They'll have Burt Reynolds style ads as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Is it just me or is that ad too provocative (and objectifying) for a cocktail lounge? Just seems like an ad for a strip club.
    That ad as well as the banner on their facebook page convey perfectly to me the feel they are going for. I dig it. Very American hussle or Playboy Mansion.

I'm very much looking forward to this opening up. I'm good friends with the group that is opening the Rockford and they would never open a cocktail lounge that would be anywhere near that of a strip club or anything that was considered objectifying. A handful of bars in OKC and Tulsa both have had images of women on the walls that were tasteful but a take on the 1970's past. It's just a pop culture thing to go along with the theme....I mean...Burt Reynolds on a bear rug?! What's more awesome than that?! LOL. Mad Men fans are going to love it. It's just something different but not offensive IMO and that's what OKC needs. I've worked on projects in Uptown alongside the Uptown 23rd Director and Board of Directors and if this place was something remotely close in resembling a strip club, you'd have the neighborhood and the association both up in arms and it wouldn't even be considered. I don't even drink but I'm social and I'm looking forward to this new spot in Uptown coming to fruition. Anything that Drew, Anna, Seth, and anyone else in this group has been involved with have all been a success. This place will definitely follow suit. I'm pretty stoked about it being non-smoking, too.

Just to clarify, I certainly didn't think Rockford would actually be a strip club. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Yes. I was excited about this place but to me that ad is tasteless and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think the model could also be 70's swank with underwear on. Maybe I just don't understand advertising.

Walked by last night...

Is this modeled on Welcome to the Johnson's in Manhattan? As someone born in the 80s, the decor seemed to lack "sexy, swagger feel" and more like the grandma's living room. Not that I didn't have fun times at The Johnson's but it certainly doesn't invoke racy/Playboy heyday/a place where 70s Burt Reynolds would be caught dead in.

Quote Originally Posted by sixkiller View Post
    Walked by last night...

Is this modeled on Welcome to the Johnson's in Manhattan? As someone born in the 80s, the decor seemed to lack "sexy, swagger feel" and more like the grandma's living room. Not that I didn't have fun times at The Johnson's but it certainly doesn't invoke racy/Playboy heyday/a place where 70s Burt Reynolds would be caught dead in.
    Welcome to the Johnons, ha. I stumbled upon that place in a NYC visit several years ago. Dug the decor, good jukebox too.

They aren't finished with the decor.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Yes. I was excited about this place but to me that ad is tasteless and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think the model could also be 70's swank with underwear on. Maybe I just don't understand advertising.
    . . reminds me of "Night Trips" ads. . .NOT a good thing. . .

Kinda what I was thinking. I'm still excited about the place, I just think they missed the mark on what they were trying to achieve with this ad.

It will be an interesting show for the couple. In the raw was already built and established when they took over. Knucks? knucks looks like knucks... This will be they're opportunity to show off what they got.

Thread Information