Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Eleanor (formerly Rockford)

Default Re: Rockford

Absolutely. And it's a career move for the elite. It's not uncommon for the top servers and bartenders in OKC to make upwards of 60k. And it is undoubtably a difficult niche skill. The problem solving and organization and craft that goes into getting product in your hands while making it seem so easy, effortless, and stress free. That's the beauty of great service.

Went last night. Place was absolutely slammed…we had to wait like 5 minutes just to get in. Made it difficult to get a drink in a quick amount of time, but they were working well and it wasn't an annoying wait.

They don't really play 70s music, but whatever, the actual feel of the place is great. It's nice to go into a bar that is not too dark.

Overall, Rockford is a *great* addition to 23rd, which is rapidly rounding into form between Dewey and Harvey on the South side of the street.

^

They tend to place about an hour or two of 70's, then switch to newer stuff, than back to 70's.

I know this because I once spent 6 straight hours there.

They’ve added a couple of pool tables.

I heard through the grapevine that Rockford is done and has already been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Wow, really? I haven't been in a while (maybe that's the problem) but whenever I was there it was totally packed.

New owners, the same group that owns Hopscotch.

Added a bunch of beers on tap, added 2 pool tables... Aiming more for a neighborhood bar type place.

Their numbers are already way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Added a bunch of beers on tap, added 2 pool tables... Aiming more for a neighborhood bar type place.

Good move! so much space there that they needed more than just furniture to lounge about on.

They will be making more upgrades as well.

I already like the place way more.

They will be making more upgrades as well.

I already like the place way more.
    Keeping the name?

I may have to give the place another try. The only time I've been I almost got in a fight because some frat guy accused me of hitting on his girlfriend (I did not). I haven't been back since.

I think given the location going for a more neighborhood bar feel is a step in the right direction.

This place used to suck to order drinks @. So I stopped going, but may give it another shot if they have redone the joint.

I was there last week and was saddened as it was one of my favorite places. I loved what was the unique feel, their cocktails, and their attention to detail in their cocktail making. Their cocktail list was gone. They couldn't make a Manhattan to save their life. Had quasi-heavy metal playing. It was bad. I wish them well with their brah-tastic endeavor, but it's not for me.

Blog Entries

Rockford, Dekora, and Knucks were all the Mains, right? Rockford sold and Dekora closed, is Knucks in danger?

Keeping the name?
    Dropping "Cocktail Den" from the end - now solely "Rockford"

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Rockford, Dekora, and Knucks were all the Mains, right? Rockford sold and Dekora closed, is Knucks in danger?
    Knuck's will live on.

Knucks is in the hearts of many a drunken souls every weekend, I would be shocked if they closed. The only thing I would suggest to Knucks is to have a promotor or two near the clubs/bars in Bricktown between 1:45am and 2:15am. Handing out a cozy deal with directions pointing the masses where to go can score you a lot of business. A lot of people don't know KNucks is even there - as the location is somewhat hidden from the Sheridan shenanigans.

The Rockford relaunched officially on Wednesday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23795100_1014472192028675_8753211918826833389_n.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	14293

Sadly looks soulessr, the original place was unique and had an awesome vibe

Is it just another ultralounge clone place? I know the 70s theme wasn't for everyone but damn if it wasn't unique!

The original Rockford had a great vibe for a while... Then completely died -- which is why they sold out.

Serious change was needed and their numbers are way up.

Yeah....6 months tops.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Yeah....6 months tops.
    kinda what i'm thinking, stuck in a typical "club" cycle now

really makes you appreciate the places that have established and remained popular

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Yeah....6 months tops.
    I'll take that bet.

The new operators know what they are doing.

What are the prices like?

Also, one of the things that will be integral to the success of this venue is a Tower Theater that is blowing full steam ahead. There are too many places that you can go in OKC these days and walk less than a block between multiple places for a place as sequestered as this to really hit on all cylinders. The Tower's rise is probably the biggest hurdle holding back 23rd from beginning to reach its potential.

Thread Information