Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Andrews Park

Default Re: Red Andrews Park

A big problem -- which is being address through this plan -- is the big surface parking lot.

I look directly out on this park and every single day I see people pulling in there, parking, cranking music and not using the park at all. It all gives of a very shady vibe.

The timing is right to get this park on the right track. Tons of great development and new home owners all around now and there it's the only park in the immediate area.

Any news on this?

Looking at it right now.... Nope! Nothing happening yet.

I remember playing basketball there back in the 70s with the triplets, Winford Boynes and some other really good ball players. The place was always packed back in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Looking at it right now.... Nope! Nothing happening yet.
    Cool yeah I forgot you live right across from here. So I'm guessing you'll let us now when work starts! I drive around all the time and usually take a drive through SOSA and it's really cool at night.

SoSA is really starting to fill in and feel like a neighborhood.

When Sunnyside Diner opens at NW 6th & Classen, I think that will give us a true neighborhood place, although Elemental somewhat serves that purpose now.

Is Elemental the new coffee shop in the Main Street Garage? I went by it the other night and it looks almost done but not completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is Elemental the new coffee shop in the Main Street Garage? I went by it the other night and it looks almost done but not completely.
    I believe that is Clarity Coffee. Elemental is on Hudson and 8th.

It looks like they will start work on the gym soon according to OKC's Urban Design meeting.

Yes, been meaning to post this... Just doing a minor remodel and replacing the old painted windows along the top with metal.

Application says the windows produced way too much glare.

Does this mean they will also start work on the park as well?

So who can use this gym? And how would one go about being able to access it, you know, to get their ball on?

They are open from 3:30-8:30 and any adult can use it. Costs $2 to get in. I believe they also rent it out for $20 /hr, like the other OKC rec centers do. They are closing Friday for 6 months for the reno, though.

Just read on Twitter that this park could be under construction before the end of the year.

Is the gym currently under renovation?

Red Andrews Park redo set to start soon

The City of Oklahoma City is to receive bids in May for remodeling work at Red Andrews Park in the heart of the SoSA / Cottage District.

As we were first to report in September of 2015, the park will see the large parking lot and labyrinth of ramps removed in favor of angled street parking on NW 8th and a gently slopping terrain.

The existing play area will remain as will the centerpiece gym, although the later will receive aesthetic enhancements including a covered entrance.

Several mature trees will remain and more will be added along with other landscaping.

The improvements will be funded by TIF money as well as proceeds from the 2007 General Obligation Bonds. Private donations will help complete the $1 million project.

The remodel comes as scores of new housing has been built in the surrounding area, with much more planned.

Red Andrews is the only city park in the entire Midtown district.

Work should commence this summer after bids are received.

I'm pretty excited about this. Doing away with that parking lot will open up so much space.

I'd like to learn more about that community gym. There is no mention of it on the City of OKC Parks and Rec website, yet I know I have seen various sports leagues and stuff in there.

This is the gym:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Johnn...12928495455075

For almost a year, I lived directly west of this park and overlooked it from my home office.

I'd sit there and watch all these really shady characters park in that lot, use their phone, have people show up and leave... Repeat almost every day.

I'm not paranoid but it was hard to sit there and watch that day after day. All facilitated by that huge largely empty lot with ample shade trees where people could park and camp out for hours at a time and nobody bothered them.

Whatever was happening there it was not good for the park or neighborhood.

There will be a groundbreaking 8/1 at 4PM.

Looking forward to this project getting rolling.

From today -- work has started.

They renovated the gym before this, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    They renovated the gym before this, correct?
    Yes, slightly.

They are now in the process of tearing out that terrible asphalt parking lot:

Thread Information