Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Andrews Park

Default Re: Red Andrews Park

Blog Entries

Looking good.

Drone shots: Still awesome w/ no signs of wavering.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    Drone shots: Still awesome w/ no signs of wavering.
    Glad others enjoy them because they just provide such a great perspective on most projects / districts.

They are in the final stages of this project with sod and new trees starting to go in.

Blog Entries

I'm glad they were able to keep most of the trees that were there.

I used to live on the top floor of that building in the lower right of the first photo and that storm siren -- which was about level with my deck and apartment -- was absolutely ear-splitting. As in my ears would ring long after it stopped, even with all my double-paned windows closed.

They really should have moved it more to the center of the park to at least create some distance from residents. I pity the people who live there now.

Also, it's really good that massive parking lot is gone, and not only for appearance.

Urban streetlife has never bothered me but there were a bunch of shady characters who would park there for long periods, always on their cell phones, then others would show up and leave. Not very hard to figure out what was going on but it was unsettling to see it happen in such an open way and so close to a playground.

O’Connor: Partnership brings park to life

By: Cathy O'Connor Guest Columnist July 17, 2018

This Saturday is the unveiling of the newly renovated Red Andrews Park. Located at 720 NW Eighth St., the Midtown park once consisted of a municipal gym, a play area and large parking lot. The unveiling will show a different, more vibrant and interesting park due to a successful public-private partnership.

The idea began several years ago when the city allocated funds to repair the Red Andrews Park parking lot and upgrade the park’s municipal gym. Residents and area businesses began working with the city of Oklahoma City to figure out a way to renew the park in a way that expanded its use and encouraged more people to interact with the space. The question was how to fund the renovations. The answer – a public-private partnership. The $1 million renovation was funded through bond funds, tax increment financing and private donations. Fitzsimmons Architects created the design.

One of the exciting components of the park is that it was redesigned for different interests and uses. It has a volleyball court and a renovated Johnnie Williams Gymnasium, which continues to have an active basketball league. The park also includes a sun lawn, a walking path with mature trees, a public art piece, and new lighting and landscaping to encourage people to get out and enjoy the green space. The new design also includes a covered pavilion that can double as a stage for outdoor concerts. The redesign means more reasons for residents, families and employees of surrounding businesses to gather and host events.

Public-private partnerships for parks are increasing across the country. These partnerships successfully combine the needs, wants and assets of the public and private sectors in a way that improves quality of life, raises property values and gives the surrounding area a sense of ownership of the park.

There are longtime examples of these partnerships, such as Central Park in New York and Balboa Park in San Diego, California, but historically they have been focused on large public areas. Red Andrews Park is a great example of how public-private partnerships can be successful in a more localized area. I expect we will see more opportunities for such partnerships in the future.

Cathy O’Connor is the president of the Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City.

Blog Entries

It's at 9:30am and there will be free Hurts Donuts and a Spaghetti Eddie concert.

Looks like they have all the plantings in now and the work is pretty much complete.

Quite a picture, Pete.

14. Default Re: Red Andrews Park

the city looks awesome. Look at that infill!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

New sculpture on tap:

I've noticed they many people do not use the sidewalks to get from the parking to the gym. That is probably due to the design... I predict a dead-grass pathway.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I've noticed they many people do not use the sidewalks to get from the parking to the gym. That is probably due to the design... I predict a dead-grass pathway.
    Parks people call these "outlaw paths" and indicate the need for additional sidewalks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	14962

Blog Entries

Is that the main door?

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	14962
    Hey, but it looks great on Google Maps

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Is that the main door?
    There is one on the south, but yes.

Blog Entries

seems like the sidewalks on the south side might lead to a door, weird to do it that way if not the main entrance, but also weird to put the parking on the opposite side if the south entrance is where you intended folks to go.

There were some really good basketball players that used to go to the gym back in the day. I don't know how it is these days but the gym used to be pretty full of basketball players daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Hey, but it looks great on Google Maps
    Too many architects seem to only care about how things look in a photo, not how it functions.

25. Default Re: Red Andrews Park

Yeah, seems to be an obvious mistake in hindsight. While the meandering trails and sidewalks are nice, and should stay, there should have always been direct connections to the building's entrances.

Also like how, Pete pointed this out, the Parks Department recognizes the need of sidewalks because of these "outlaw paths". Pete, does that mean there is some mechanism that allows them to address that need?

Thread Information