Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Festival of the Arts

1. Default Re: Festival of the Arts TIF Money

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    This festival belongs in the "Civic Center" (MAPS 0 not the municipal auditorium).

Personally I wish they would use Couch/Colcord/Latting for the food court so it would be contiguous. Going back and forth between the two halves is ridic on the crowded nights. Those areas could be repurposed if the food was moved to the other side of City Hall. You might then say that the food would be too removed from the core of the festival, but it kinda was before in the previous location.
    I’ve thought the same thing and I’m pretty sure I’ve heard someone trustworthy say that is a part of a long-term plan or at least consideration. Wouldn’t swear to it though.

2. Default Re: Festival of the Arts TIF Money

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Being a sentimental type I was slow to embrace the new location but a few seasons in I'm now a big believer. It feels purpose-built for this event and other than not being next to the Myriad Gardens - and also Stage Center, which was gone either way - I feel like the new location is superior in pretty much every way. The primacy of the food court is reduced, but I would not say that's a bad thing. It's an arts festival, not a food festival. And certainly there is still just as much food available and truthfully better areas for consumption, including the steps of the civic center.
    Speaking to this, I hope Oklahoma City does not duplicate efforts here at the Scissortail Park. I hope they keep the Arts Festival at the Civic Center and move the food festival, aka, the 'Taste of Oklahoma City' to the new park.

Take a note from Chicago's Taste (the best one there is) and go from there, but don't diminish nor try to move the existing ART festival to the much larger park. Could also benchmark the Bite of Seattle for ideas for the food festival but OKC already has a top knotch arts festival right where and when it is. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Festival of the Arts TIF Money

Press release:

Festival of the Arts Returns – Moving from April to June 2021

After weeks of deliberation and planning with the city and community members, Arts Council Oklahoma City (ACOKC) has decided to move Festival of the Arts from its usual time in April to new June dates: June 22nd - 27th. “Moving Festival of the Arts to June this year is the right decision for the event and the community,” says Peter Dolese, ACOKC Executive Director. “It gives more time for vaccine distribution and protection allowing us to design an outdoor event that implements CDC guidelines and creates an enjoyable, safe experience.”

Traditionally, Festival of the Arts takes place outdoors the last full week of April each year at Bicentennial Park. However, the event was canceled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 outbreak. “Knowing what we are up against this year and with the advancement of vaccine distribution, we are confident in providing an in-person outdoor event, with some changes, to make a safe experience for all,” says Gilbert Magdaleno, Festival of the Arts Director. Changes include expansion of festival grounds to the east lawn of City Hall and Patience Latting Drive. “Festival of the Arts is a major cultural event in our city and its return will, certainly I think, bring with it a return to normalcy in our community that is very welcome and very much missed," says OKC Mayor David Holt.

The decision was made in a joint effort amongst city officials, ACOKC board, staff, and Festival of the Arts volunteer Co-Chairs Kaycee Nolting and Randy Cassimus. “We are so thankful for the hard work put in by the City of Oklahoma City and Arts Council OKC, which has resulted in a safe, workable plan for us to host Festival of the Arts in 2021,” says Cassimus. “We missed the event in so many ways last year. To say we’re excited to hold an in-person Festival this summer – with our artists, performers, wonderful volunteers and festival-goers - is an understatement.”

Default Re: Festival of the Arts

An outdoor even in June will likely be unpleasant (at least for those of us who don't like the heat), but it's a smart change if there is going to be a chance of having an arts festival this year. I might have pushed for fall if it had been my decision. June might be a little optimistic, but hopefully they can pull this off safely. I know of several artists who depend on the revenues from the arts festival, and who were really hurt this past year by it's cancellation.

Hurd on Heard in Edmond said it is on so far. Hopefully the fair will not be cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeareese View Post
    Hurd on Heard in Edmond said it is on so far. Hopefully the fair will not be cancelled.
    The fair should be fine, still a long way away till September.

7. Default Re: Festival of the Arts

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    An outdoor even in June will likely be unpleasant (at least for those of us who don't like the heat), but it's a smart change if there is going to be a chance of having an arts festival this year. I might have pushed for fall if it had been my decision. June might be a little optimistic, but hopefully they can pull this off safely. I know of several artists who depend on the revenues from the arts festival, and who were really hurt this past year by it's cancellation.
    Yeah. We only go to Paseo occasionally because Memorial Day weekend can be miserably hot with all the buildings and tents blocking the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    It might be a little warmer but I think people will be looking forward to going anyway after missing last year.

After missing last year due to the pandemic, the Festival of the Arts is back at Centennial Park starting tomorrow (Tuesday) and running through Sunday.

Pete, I really love those pictures. Downtown looks so ... dare I say ... dense.

Seriously, these are every bit as impressive to me as a skyline shot from 30 blocks away.

^^^^^

Blog Entries

Maybe if the four surface lots in the pictures had buildings on them

ShawnW, of course nothing is perfect. There is more work to do. And I am also aware that the presence of the booths in the streets ringing the park also adds to the impression of density. I was just struck by these pictures (particularly the top one) because of I'm not used to seeing a lower-level view from this direction. Usually pictures of our skyline feel the need to get the whole Devon Tower in the picture, which means it has to be farther away and usually at a higher altitude. This means you see more open space in the usual photographs. I just like these as a contrast to those.

Have a friend performing at 5 p.m. Friday on the Main Stage, crossing my fingers that it'll be in the shade of City Hall by then given the weather forecast that day, lmao.

Why does the grass already appear to be dead/burned in this park?

Blog Entries

I think I recall them laying new sod this past winter/spring and it kinda looks like it didn't take

Well, it was nice having it back! I sorely missed the Strawberries Newport, though. Anyone have a story as to why it wasn't available this year and if it will make a comeback next year?

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    Well, it was nice having it back! I sorely missed the Strawberries Newport, though. Anyone have a story as to why it wasn't available this year and if it will make a comeback next year?
    Due to the pandemic, they didn't allow any food service by volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Due to the pandemic, they didn't allow any food service by volunteers.
    The Lost Ogle's Louis Fowler wrote that the organization that normally sold them decided on a food truck theme and hence went with something else and didn't offer them (or something like that). I can't verify since that story's behind a paywall now and their content is not worth what they charge, unlike some other OKC-specific sites.

^

Food trucks were required this year as part of the 'no volunteers handling food' mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Food trucks were required this year as part of the 'no volunteers handling food' mandate.
    Gotcha, I don't think the TLO article included that bit.

I went one of the days. It was a great setup. But honestly ending at 9pm in late June is pretty strange considering the sun is just down by then for relief from the heat.

Blog Entries

I agree but it's always ended at 9 right? I get what you mean that it should have been tweaked for June vs April.

Lack of Strawberries Newport was disappointing.

IMO they should keep some food trucks even when they go back to the old way of doing it. Nice for local concepts to be represented like that.

Really liked having a stage on the east side of city hall.

Great to have the festival back. Would be nice if they would push tents out into street further so you don't have to navigate the curb and the low trees when looking at the booths. Also, those booths seemed to be traffic jams as egress was limited between booths.

25. Default Re: Festival of the Arts

Any discussion of moving it to Scissortail or do people prefer the smaller venue?

Thread Information