Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mid-Del Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

A couple of things I would like to see in this area..

-A movie theater.

I'm not sure why we don't have a movie theater. Even in the 1950s we had one at Air Depot and SE 15th (it's now a furniture store). I think with the success of the shopping centers along I-40, a movie theater would do well here.

-A natural food store.

I know we have one on Midwest Blvd but I think it's overpriced and small. I would like to see something like a Sprouts or a Natural Grocers.

What are some other businesses you think the Mid-Del Area is lacking that would be good here?

Default Re: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

A Real Pizza Place ie Hideaway

A Real BBQ ie Earls

Quote Originally Posted by usmbubba View Post
    A Real BBQ ie Earls
    Usmbubba,
    Seriously? I know food taste is subjective, but in my opinion, the only good thing they have is the cheddar burger. Have you tried J T's barbecue at 505 South Sunnylane? It's really good.
    C. T.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Usmbubba,
    Seriously? I know food taste is subjective, but in my opinion, the only good thing they have is the cheddar burger. Have you tried J T's barbecue at 505 South Sunnylane? It's really good.
    C. T.
    C. T.
    I'm a fan of Earl's, CT, but I must admit my *first* attraction to Earl's was, in fact, their cheddar burger. It was a long time before I tried anything else.

Their BBQ is good enough for me, maybe not for some more refined BBQ afficionados, but c'est la vie, I s'pose. I guess I kinda got my BBQ world realigned when I went to Memphis one year and was ready to just be knocked out with some "real Memphis BBQ," identified some local spots (no chains), only to find out, "uh, how is this so much better than what we have back home?"

Like you said, it's subjective.

5. Default Re: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    ...when I went to Memphis one year and was ready to just be knocked out with some "real Memphis BBQ," identified some local spots (no chains), only to find out, "uh, how is this so much better than what we have back home?"
    I'm not sure you should really compare Memphis style to the more Kansas City style of BBQ served here. They are in two very different parts of the BBQ spectrum.

I guess I kinda got my BBQ world realigned when I went to Memphis one year and was ready to just be knocked out with some "real Memphis BBQ," identified some local spots (no chains), only to find out, "uh, how is this so much better than what we have back home?"

Like you said, it's subjective.
    SoonerDave,
    I'm surprised you didn't enjoy Memphis' barbecue. I really like Corky's and have been there four times, but there are several really good restaurants I wish I had tried. I didn't enjoy North Carolina style very much. It was ok, just not my cup-of-tea.
    C. T.

C.T.

I also like Corky's in Memphis very much. It's funny, they opened a restaurant in Baton Rouge a number of years back and just couldn't duplicate the taste or overall experience. It closed after a short time. Corky's was always my favorite in Memphis, but I haven't had a chance to go back for a number of years.

My brother in law is a huge bbq fan and says a lot of good things about Alabama bbq. However, like you, I am not a fan of N. Carolina bbq. Too much pulled pork for me. I'm a rib lover.

8. Default Re: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

A Real BBQ ie Earls
    In my subjective opinion.... I'd choose Spencer's over Earl's any day.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    In my subjective opinion.... I'd choose Spencer's over Earl's any day.
    Just out of curiosity, BBQ, what's wrong with Earl's?

10. Default Re: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

Just out of curiosity, BBQ, what's wrong with Earl's?
    For me it's just mediocre, inconsistent, made for the masses BBQ... But that describes about 99% of the BBQ I find in the area and really even Spencer's falls in that category. so I tend to go with Mom & Pop over chains when the mediocrity is that close.

There are two basic business philosphies in BBQ... Quantity over Quality and Quality over Quantity..... The majority of Q-raunts use that first business model and most turn out the same inconsistent, mediocre, product.... Some rise above the rest but most are just mediocre.... I find absolutely nothing wrong with that business model because it does what a business is supposed to... Make a profit.

The second model is where the really good BBQ is made.... Unfortunately most of the pitmasters that choose this route will tell you that it is the hardest they have ever worked to make so little profit. It's not an easy way to make a living and I have a lot of respect for their love of the craft and the dedication they have to their product.

11. Default Re: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

Amen on Sprouts, a movie theater, laser tag, we really have ZERO entertainment destinations on this side of the county.

Actually I really enjoy their Cheddar Burger, As far as Spencers, they are way Overpriced. The only good thing is the rolls.

13. Default Re: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

As far as Spencers, they are way Overpriced.
    So are you saying your definition of real BBQ is the price point?

I checked the menu's for Earl's and Spencer's meats by the pound and I'm not seeing much difference and Earl's is actually almost $3 more on beef.

Slab of Ribs - Earl's: $21.99 Spencer's: $21.95
    Pulled Pork - Earl's: $12.99 Spencer's: 13.00
    Chopped Beef - Earl's: $15.99 Spencer's: $13.00
    Smoked Turkey - Earl's: $12.99 Spencer's: $13.00
    1/2 Chicken - Earl's: $6.99 Spencer's: $7.50

14. Default Re: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

I like Spencer's sauce, but the fact that you have to tear the meat off a rib like a dog always turns me off....and the fact that they're so freaking expensive. You can get so much better BBQ all over the place for a WAY better deal.

15. Default Re: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

I don't eat at Earl's either...I don't care for the flavor there.

No way am I paying either of those prices for BBQ.

16. Default Re: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    No way am I paying either of those prices for BBQ.
    Where are you finding it any cheaper? Those prices are in line with all the Q-chains in the area with the exception of Swadley's who charge a flat $15.99 for all meats by the pound.

17. Default Re: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

As an example, if you go to Rib Crib, you get a sliced brisket plate with more food per dollar than at either of the other options. If you want to look at more local options, check out Ray's in Norman as an example. It's DOLLARS less for comparable items. Because I work in Norman, I actually eat there more than any BBQ in MWC these days. And even at other places, I'm spending less than what the places mentioned above....and in Norman, no less.

The fact is, people have complained about the prices at Spencer's for what you get, from the time that family took over from the previous owners. They're in their 60's now, so probably not anywhere close to thinking about retiring, so I wouldn't expect it to change for the better any time soon. They still win the sauce award for me, but they keep jacking that price up too so I moved to buying Billy Simms. And BTW, Billy Simms is also cheaper. You have to accept the fact it's made in a central kitchen and not on-site though (so fyi, no fried items...ie no okra).

Just my opinion on BBQ places. I would rather have a locally owned BBQ place than a franchise but local businesses seem to struggle a bit here for some reason. I haven't been to TJ's in awhile. I
    need to go back and eat there again.

Another store I just thought of that I hate driving 30 minutes is a Toys R Us.

I did find it somewhat interesting that everyone was quick to debate the "Earls BBQ" choice.....but everyone let the "Hideaway Pizza" slide on by. Its no better than all of the other cookie cutter/franchise pizza joints. I would think that a smaller independent pizza shop, that actually serves up a good pie would do well in MWC. (The Wedge, Jo's, Humble Pie, Gusto, Empire, Knucks etc...)

20. Default Re: Businesses you would like to see in Mid-Del Area?

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    I did find it somewhat interesting that everyone was quick to debate the "Earls BBQ" choice.....but everyone let the "Hideaway Pizza" slide on by...
    Well I think it was the "real BBQ" part that set us off on Earl's. Especially when the area already has two other BBQ chains and a couple of family owned Q-raunts. ;+)

I'm not a big fan of Hideaway but it would be big step up from the pizza options currently in the area. They had a Falcone's for awhile but the teenagers they had working there ran it in the ground.

Have y'all forgotten about Old Chicago?! Hideaway has nothing on them, in my opinion. Old Chicago has the best deep-dish pizza I've ever had! I hate thin crust and could care less about regular so Hideaway has no pizza I want to eat. The first time I tried it, I was so confused because everyone said it was amazing. Any time I go now, I just get pasta.

As for restaurants I'd like: I really wanted Olive Garden to go where Raising Canes is being built now. They would be a nice addition, especially for lunch. A Del Taco would be nice over here; they have a particular burrito I love. I'd like a Freddy's and Lotsa Noodles too.

Quote Originally Posted by JesStang View Post
    As for restaurants I'd like: I really wanted Olive Garden to go where Raising Canes is being built now. They would be a nice addition, especially for lunch. A Del Taco would be nice over here; they have a particular burrito I love. I'd like a Freddy's and Lotsa Noodles too.
    JesStang,
    I have never been to Del Taco, so I shouldn't judge them, but isn't it just another Taco Bell/Taco Bueno/Taco Mayo type store? And by the way, have you tried Mid Del Taco? Not gourmet food, but fairly inexpensive ($.89 to $1.59 per taco depending on options), and pretty decent tacos. I can't speak for any of their other choices, I haven't tried them.
    C. T.

Baja Jacks

Goldie's

Cafe 7

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Baja Jacks

Goldie's

Cafe 7
    Are there any Goldies left in OKC? I think there is still one in Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Are there any Goldies left in OKC? I think there is still one in Tulsa.
    Jeepnokc,
    No, but there are nine Goldie's, four of them in Tulsa, and the others are in Owasso, Claremore, Pryor, Broken Arrow, and Bartlesville.
    C. T.

Thread Information