Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuzo

Default Re: Yuzo

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Asian fusion sushi formula 1 racing ADT restaurant.
    Come for the sushi, stay for the ADT.

2. Default Re: Yuzo

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Remember, this is on Auto Alley.
    And the building is owned by a guy who owns exotic cars and who has raced internationally.

And I'll bet chris doesn't eat sushi in or during either one

Nope, but I've served him and other guests sashimi at Nani and at the Caliber; awesome dude. #keeptheADTwall.

Yuzo coming soon banner now up

6. Default Re: Yuzo

Here is their full color logo I have been given.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yuzo Sushi Tapas.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	12234

7. Default Re: Yuzo

LOVE IT!!! Fantastic!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Was in there late last week and they've really picked up the pace now.

Shouldn't be a whole lot longer.

I didn't get a pic, but they have the sign up now and it looks great. It looks like they've made a fair amount of progress inside since the last time I looked.

HangryHippo Guest

Are there any improvements planned for the exterior of the building?

2Lanez Guest

Looks like a little, but not too much in the renderings. Signage looks great. The building, not so much.

They still plan to do a rooftop deck a bit later and I'm sure there will be other improvements as well.

I'll ask them about it next time I talk to them. Right now, they are just trying to get open as this project had been long delayed due to permitting issues of some sort.

14. Default Re: Yuzo

I'm sure that there will be new paint applied to the exterior and windows, and perhaps (hopefully..?) awnings and/or other window treatment. Would also hope there is outdoor seating added. But don't look for the building itself to be substantially altered. That building actually received a pretty faithful HP renovation in the late nineties, which restored the historic window/door configurations and preserved/stabilized the plaster exterior, per period photography. The work was overseen by Rand Elliott. Yeah, it looks bland right now, but that is because it isn't accessorized in any way and because the paint needs to be refreshed.

15. Default Re: Yuzo

They should be finishing up the floors either today or tomorrow. Things should speed up once they're complete.

Rolling in: High-end sushi restaurant coming to Automobile Alley
    By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record April 1, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – Dallas residents Tommy Lee and Yuzo Toyama wanted to be in Oklahoma City so much that they spent two years trying to find the right space.

Their restaurant, Yuzo, finally settled at 808 N. Broadway Ave. in Automobile Alley.

“I like the historical area,” Lee said. “It has a lot of potential for growth with the new residences behind us. Automobile Alley is coming up. After doing my homework, this area made sense.”

Lee and Toyama worked with Newmark Grubb Levy Strange Beffort retail broker Danny Ojeda on finding a place. He said they looked at the suburbs, but Lee couldn’t pass up the excitement in downtown.

But the 5,000-square-foot space wasn’t in the best condition, so they were able to get a good deal on the rent, Ojeda said. A new retail property in downtown leases for $20 to $22 per square foot, and Lee and Toyama are paying less than that, Ojeda said.

Because owner Chris Salyer has had the building for several years, he can offer a lower lease rate, Ojeda said. County records show Salyer bought the building in 1988. The 13,000-square-foot building was constructed in 1925. Banta Properties broker Chad Elmore represented Salyer in the transaction.

“(Lee and Toyama) are investing a substantial amount of money fixing the building,” Ojeda said.

Lee said interior construction has slowed progress on opening the sushi and tapas restaurant.

“Once you open up a can of worms, you see what’s inside,” Lee said.

The restaurant will offer sushi and izakayas, the Japanese term for small-plate dishes. The menu has South American and Japanese influences, with ceviche, gazpacho and sushi rolls.

This is Lee and Toyama’s second restaurant venture. They have worked together for more than 10 years, Lee said. He said they created the concept before coming to the city.

“I wasn’t looking for a prime-time market,” he said. “I wanted a secondary market. I think there’s a market for us. I think Oklahoma City is underserved.”

People can start trying the menu later this month, Lee said. The restaurant will open with low-point beer, but a larger alcohol selection is planned, with martinis being the cocktail menu star.

“I think they’re a great fit,” Ojeda said. “We don’t have any really high-end sushi restaurants in the downtown area.”

17. Default Re: Yuzo

I'm not sure how I feel about some of those quotes.

I know these guys pretty well and I don't think some of that came across as intended.

Basically, they feel like there is lots of opportunity in OKC and that's why both of them have moved here permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about some of those quotes.
    Which ones?

20. Default Re: Yuzo

Some of them just came off as negative toward the market, and the building, neither of which is great from a PR standpoint. But like Pete says, chances are that impression came from the reporting more than the attitudes or statements from the owners. I've been involved with stories before where the message didn't come through how I hoped it would, from the perspective of the person being quoted.

And the part about OKC being underserved? I feel like sushi in OKC is pretty easy to come by, maybe that is just me, though.

How close are they to opening?

They are hiring, so I would guess in the next few weeks.

They stalled out for a while but are now going great guns... They have most their equipment and furniture on site so hopefully they'll be opening their doors soon.

Thread Information