Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Default How to make an Attractive City

    I thought some out there might find this interesting.

    https://youtu.be/Hy4QjmKzF1c

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to make an Attractive City

    Love It. Love It. Love It.

    Under #3 they talk about "The Square". That's exactly why I want the Cox center to be redeveloped with this in mind: If we created a "Town Square" right across from the Intermodal hub, then it would be the first thing people see coming out the doors and it would connect with the Myriad Gardens.

    That triumvirate alone would give OKC something that not many American cities have. I honestly think it would be the Crown Jewel of the region.

  3. Default Re: How to make an Attractive City

    Well that was simply amazing. 7 years of what I have been arguing for summed up in 10 minutes. Thanks for finding and posting.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,362
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How to make an Attractive City

    No doubt, conservatives would be quite vehemently opposed to making cities attractive, due to the need to impose more government regulations to do it. In addition to that you then have the lack of political will to overcome conservative objections. For instance, Oklahoma Republicans are opposed to making Oklahoma cities more attractive by not allowing them to impose bans on fracking.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to make an Attractive City

    Thanks for posting! What part of the city is best implementing the six points? Is it Deep Duece?

  6. Default Re: How to make an Attractive City

    Quote Originally Posted by twade View Post
    Thanks for posting! What part of the city is best implementing the six points? Is it Deep Duece?
    To be honest, OKC fails miserably on all 6, and getting the city to embrace doing any of the 6 has proven to be harder than hell. Just far too many people in opposition.

  7. Default Re: How to make an Attractive City

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    No doubt, conservatives would be quite vehemently opposed to making cities attractive, due to the need to impose more government regulations to do it. In addition to that you then have the lack of political will to overcome conservative objections. For instance, Oklahoma Republicans are opposed to making Oklahoma cities more attractive by not allowing them to impose bans on fracking.
    No doubt far too many have turned the well-being of civic life over to corporate interest.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to make an Attractive City

    Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    To be honest, OKC fails miserably on all 6, and getting the city to embrace doing any of the 6 has proven to be harder than hell. Just far too many people in opposition.
    Right, I'm not saying any area would (or wouldn't) earn a passing grade, but who is doing it best (even if you would award a "D-")?

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to make an Attractive City

    I think if it is pulled off (and I expect for it to be) that Wheeler District will be the example by which the rest of the community sees these values in practice and is - hopefully - inspired to bring them to their own corner(s) of the city.

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to make an Attractive City

    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think if it is pulled off (and I expect for it to be) that Wheeler District will be the example by which the rest of the community sees these values in practice and is - hopefully - inspired to bring them to their own corner(s) of the city.
    That's a good one. My initial thoughts were that it would have be a master-planned concept, and I had completely forgotten about Wheeler.

  11. Default Re: How to make an Attractive City

    It doesn't have to be master planned. Developers will build whatever the City tells them they can build. The irony is that the City already tells them what they can build, we just need the City to improve what they allow, but that is much easier said then done.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Oklahoma City Ranked Most Cost-Attractive Business Location
    By Pete in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
  2. Replies: 145
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 02:47 AM
  3. Just something to make you think...
    By SoonerQueen in forum Politics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-31-2010, 11:24 AM
  4. Most Attractive Building in Downtown?
    By warreng88 in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-14-2008, 10:41 PM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO