Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

C.T.

There's a big difference between a personal behavior choice, which I respect, and declaring that "nobody on here has a conscience" as others have done, because they're not outraged over the use of a word (which is not really a curse word and has been used in literature for hundreds of years), on a sign on the INSIDE of a private business. Some people have too much free time for outrage. They're the same types who get try to get books banned from libraries. They should keep in mind they'll need to get the fires to 451 degrees Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    C.T.

There's a big difference between a personal behavior choice, which I respect, and declaring that "nobody on here has a conscience" as others have done, because they're not outraged over the use of a word (which is not really a curse word and has been used in literature for hundreds of years), on a sign on the INSIDE of a private business. Some people have too much free time for outrage. They're the same types who get try to get books banned from libraries. They should keep in mind they'll need to get the fires to 451 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Jerrywall,
    Kind of like the difference between burning KD's jersey and being disappointed that he left? I understand what you mean. Oh well, when you get tired of Torchy's, send them to the Mid-Del area. This place needs some really good tacos. Even a good taqueria would be great. We seem to be a Mexican food desert over here in Eastern Ok county.
    C. T.

It's a shame that Red Dirt Burrito on Sooner closed. That place was outstanding.

4. Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

It's a shame that Red Dirt Burrito on Sooner closed. That place was outstanding.
    Agreed. I liked them a lot better than Qdoba or Chipotle... They were always very busy at lunch... Not sure what happened there.

There is quite a bit of Okie-Mex to be found in Eastern Oklahoma county. I've been to Wholly Guacamole, at 29th and Douglas, a few times and the food is good..... I can't think of a single taqueria east of Eastern in the county though.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Agreed. I liked them a lot better than Qdoba or Chipotle... They were always very busy at lunch... Not sure what happened there.

There is quite a bit of Okie-Mex to be found in Eastern Oklahoma county. I've been to Wholly Guacamole, at 29th and Douglas, a few times and the food is good..... I can't think of a single taqueria east of Eastern in the county though.
    Wholly Guacamole's menu doesn't impress me, but I'm being unfair, I need to go there and they are only two miles away. I neglected to mention Mid-Del Tacos. They are a nice little sit down place with decent tacos, better than most of the fast food taco places (Taco Bell et al). I have eaten at Qdoba and it was pretty good, but not a taqueria.
    C. T.

6. Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

If anyone gets to the Blanchard area, give Burrito Grill a try. Really like their three taco special - I do two beef and one pulled pork. Really fresh ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Wholly Guacamole's menu doesn't impress me, but I'm being unfair, I need to go there and they are only two miles away. I neglected to mention Mid-Del Tacos. They are a nice little sit down place with decent tacos, better than most of the fast food taco places (Taco Bell et al). I have eaten at Qdoba and it was pretty good, but not a taqueria.
    C. T.
    CT , I tried mid Del taco a few months ago for the first time, after driving by it once a week for the last 20 years, it was okay, just didn't have much flavor and the sauce was nothing spectacular. I tried the crispy tacos and a beef burrito.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    CT , I tried mid Del taco a few months ago for the first time, after driving by it once a week for the last 20 years, it was okay, just didn't have much flavor and the sauce was nothing spectacular. I tried the crispy tacos and a beef burrito.
    Tundra,
    That's kind of what I said. My opinion is they are better than fast food tacos but not great.
    C. T.

9. Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Tundra,
    That's kind of what I said. My opinion is they are better than fast food tacos but not great.
    C. T.
    Eaten there many times when I lived in that part of town. For me, Mid Del is a step above most fast food taco joints and a step below Tacoville. But for me, you've gotta be in the mood for 'that type' of Mexican food.... and my gut is rarely in that mood as I get older. But, when I am, it's DAMN good.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Eaten there many times when I lived in that part of town. For me, Mid Del is a step above most fast food taco joints and a step below Tacoville. But for me, you've gotta be in the mood for 'that type' of Mexican food.... and my gut is rarely in that mood as I get older. But, when I am, it's DAMN good.
    I seen today that Tacoville , is about to open their 1st franchise in Omaha Nebraska of all places....its set to open within the next few weeks.... Im sure Coz is smiling down on his kids...

Lunch there today.

Only about 10-12 people in line in front of me and it took almost 20 (!) minutes to get to the front of the line. Just two very young women (looked like HS) who were painfully slow.

I had the brushfire taco, which had Jamaican jerk chicken, mango and some spicy salsa. Fantastic! And at $3.95 a pretty good sized serving.

Also had the street corn as a side. Another large portion and good, but no really spice to it and Torchy's doesn't have any sauce on the the table or any type of salsa bar (they need one or the other or both).

With just water to drink my meal was around $8,50, which is fair given the portion sizes and quality of food.

I didn't realize they have a bar, and no one under 21 is allowed to sit there. It is a rectangular shape with half being outside; or quasi outside when they have the overhead doors open.

Love the bar idea because at Fuzzy's, once you order a drink there is really no easy way to get another, or just to add one after you've already gone through the line. Also, insulates you from screaming kids, and there were a ton in there.

Really looking forward to having more of these around, but they need to train their staff better. It wasn't particularly crowded as I was there early (around 11:30) and I can't imagine how long you'd have to wait with a big line.

12. Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Lunch there today.

Only about 10-12 people in line in front of me and it took almost 20 (!) minutes to get to the front of the line. Just two very young women (looked like HS) who were painfully slow.

I had the brushfire taco, which had Jamaican jerk chicken, mango and some spicy salsa. Fantastic! And at $3.95 a pretty good sized serving.

Also had the street corn as a side. Another large portion and good, but no really spice to it and Torchy's doesn't have any sauce on the the table or any type of salsa bar (they need one or the other or both).

With just water to drink my meal was around $8,50, which is fair given the portion sizes and quality of food.

I didn't realize they have a bar, and no one under 21 is allowed to sit there. It is a rectangular shape with half being outside; or quasi outside when they have the overhead doors open.

Love the bar idea because at Fuzzy's, once you order a drink there is really no easy way to get another, or just to add one after you've already gone through the line. Also, insulates you from screaming kids, and there were a ton in there.

Really looking forward to having more of these around, but they need to train their staff better. It wasn't particularly crowded as I was there early (around 11:30) and I can't imagine how long you'd have to wait with a big line.

I think the secret is just sitting at the bar. I get good service and no waiting in line. I don't even drink I just get a tea. Seems to be the best way to avoid the slowness.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I think the secret is just sitting at the bar. I get good service and no waiting in line. I don't even drink I just get a tea. Seems to be the best way to avoid the slowness.
    Can you order food directly from the bar?

Agreed. I think its a Torcy's issue across the board. I've had slow order times, and slow food delivery in Norman, Waco, and Lubbock.

Definitely just sit and order at the bar for best service, or call it in.

15. Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

Can you order food directly from the bar?
    Yes.

Our experience was really bad. When we went (well after the grand opening - plenty of time to work out the bugs), we placed a pretty simple order. Place was less than half full. After 20 minutes with no food, I went to check to be sure I understood the process (I thought maybe I missed something). They assured me they would bring the order to our table. Another 5 minutes passed, so I went to check again and was told our order would be "out in literally 2 minutes". Another 10 passed, so I gave up and asked for a refund. There was another person in front of me demanding a refund (he had ordered before us and still didn't have his order). It took another 5 to 10 for them to find someone with authority to refund our money. The excuse we all got was that they were "short-handed". I counted at least eight employees in the front of the house - at least 3 taking orders at various times, 2 or 3 that seemed to be messing with the (empty) bar, and a few others milling about. I was really irritated that while I was waiting on a manager to taker care of my refund, at least two of the employees were enjoying their own meals. Sure didn't seem "short-handed". It was interesting that the manager never mentioned trying to comp our meal and get it to us - they seemed relieved we were letting them off the hook and leaving.

I noticed on the napkin holders there was a "text us about your experience", which I did. I received a reply that basically said "sorry about that" and asked what our order was. I responded, but never heard back. I sent an email to the corporate website, and received a reply from a regional manager of some sort apologizing, admitting they had staffing issues to work out, and insisting he was going to send coupons or something of the like. I never heard another thing.

This place seems like one of those spots where they make a lot of noise about customer service, but it's all smoke and mirrors. Too many other options to mess with places like this - I doubt I would go back by choice.

Love the bar idea because at Fuzzy's, once you order a drink there is really no easy way to get another, or just to add one after you've already gone through the line.
    I didn't pay attention to the one at Chisholm Creek, but all the other Fuzzy's I've been too have a drinks only register, where there's rarely a line. In Bricktown it even has it's own entrance on the side. You can also order chips and dips there too.

I didn't pay attention to the one at Chisholm Creek, but all the other Fuzzy's I've been too have a drinks only register, where there's rarely a line. In Bricktown it even has it's own entrance on the side. You can also order chips and dips there too.
    Love the one in Stillwater. It has a separate bar/patio out back. They have large rope swings at the bar and it's pet friendly.

Are they supposed to build a Torchy's on the far west side of Chisholm creek development? Next to Freddy's ?

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    Are they supposed to build a Torchy's on the far west side of Chisholm creek development? Next to Freddy's ?
    Yes:

http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r...Chisholm-Creek

Tried it once. Not very good. It wasnt busy at all on the mid-afternoon I went... paid Qdoba price for the burrito, so I was expecting it to be Qdoba size and quality... but alas, I waited over 15 minutes for a burrito that was about 1/3 the size of a Qdoba burrito, and it was cold. 15 minutes to make a cold burrito?

Anyway, poor experience on my first try.

this seems to be the standard... i went to the one in norman a few times, because it is very close to me... and figured it was just poorly managed or something... but now after the holidays and going to one in waco, i have realized this is just their corporate philosophy.... to give bad service

23. Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

I find it weird I have never had bad service here. I have been about 10 times total since they opened. One time the takeout took about 2 minutes after they said it would be ready so they gave me free queso.

I usually sit at the bar to avoid the line so maybe that has something to do with it?

I find it weird I have never had bad service here. I have been about 10 times total since they opened. One time the takeout took about 2 minutes after they said it would be ready so they gave me free queso.

I usually sit at the bar to avoid the line so maybe that has something to do with it?
    We love Torchy's and have only visited the Norman location once so far. It was a Sunday at lunch a few months back, and the line was to the door when we walked in. However, the line moved pretty quickly and it felt like we got to the counter in 15 minutes or so, 20 max. Food was absolutely awesome as always. Only issue I had that day was that they were out of my favorite taco, Mr. Orange (salmon). Other than that, everything went fairly smoothly for how busy they were.

Thread Information