Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

Celebrator,

I think there are more important things to be concerned with for your children than this sign. I'd be far more concerned about the "flamboyant" language children hear from their peers and others. I don't know, I guess I'm just more concerned about other things than a damn sign.

2. Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

Celebrator.. As a parent that chooses to shield your children from the realities of life. You should be certain to educate them that the owners of Torchy's are horrible, horrible, people with no respect for innocent children. Being such they are not worthy of your patronage and drive them down to 24th and Hwy 9 and buy them an authentic taco from the little, locally owned, stand there.

Then you can instill your morality in them and teach them how Capitalism works at the same time... Win Win.... Well unless you don't like Capitalism either.

Is damn considered that bad of a word? F***ing good tacos... that would be a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Romulack View Post
    lol you said "bum"
    As funny as that is, it actually makes a valid point. Ok, Celebrator, you prefer not to see the word 'damn'. Fine. Maybe Romulack prefers not to see the word 'bum'. Maybe I find 'bashed' offensive. Or 'disheartening' may be offensive to someone who has had a heart transplant. Maybe there's a short person on this board who is currently steamed at you casually throwing around the word 'diminishing'.

The point is, who gets to decide what words someone else can use? And the answer is...nobody. This question has been asked and answered countless times. The "Oh GOD won't someone PLEASE think of the children!!!" crowd needs to look up "The Streisand Effect". Maybe Torchy's should send them a basket of damn good muffins as thanks for the free advertising.

Celebrator, you should 100% not be surprised that nobody on here has a conscience. Most believe in an anything goes society.... I tend to think like you do, restaurants should want to appeal to everyone and not offend anyone. They will alienate a select group of people, and I'm fine with it....there are plenty of other taco joints in OKC, I've never had torchys and I won't lose any sleep over never darkening their doors.

Don't like it, don't go....it's really that simple...But don't ever be surprised, that your old fashioned views, will ever be applauded, that ship has sailed.

6. Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

to me it is more of how people create some kind of power over these words. Maybe George Carlin has influenced my opinion over things too much, especially when it comes to the power of words and the few elite that uses tools like words to control the rest.

7. Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Celebrator, you should 100% not be surprised that nobody on here has a conscience. Most believe in an anything goes society.... I tend to think like you do, restaurants should want to appeal to everyone and not offend anyone. They will alienate a select group of people, and I'm fine with it....there are plenty of other taco joints in OKC, I've never had torchys and I won't lose any sleep over never darkening their doors.

Don't like it, don't go....it's really that simple...But don't ever be surprised, that your old fashioned views, will ever be applauded, that ship has sailed.
    While I appreciate your support here, Tundra, I have to respectfully disagree with your assertion that "nobody on here has a conscience". I simply do not believe that. If someone didn't care about anything, i.e. had no conscience, they wouldn't interact on this board. People are here because they care about building a better community in OKC. I was, however, disappointed that the expression of disagreement with my post was more personal rather than being based on the principle in question.

my kids are 3 1/2 - seeing, hearing, saying the word damn isn't gonna change or alter their past/present or future in any way whatsoever

People tolerate stuff like this today, that they never would have 20 years ago. It shows how much our society and our values has changed in a short amount of time. But enough on that... If you don't like something don't support them, thats my motto..

People tolerate stuff like this today, that they never would have 20 years ago.
    You make a very valid point. Saying the word damn in 1996 would have gotten you burned at the stake, for sure. 1996 definitely didn't see Andrew Dice Clay or Howard Stern using such language. You certainly didn't see the main character of the TV show Martin using it as his catchphrase. How far we have fallen in such a short time, indeed.

Ahhh, the mid nineties ... when kids and parents alike were innocently and joyously dancing along to Macarena .. blissfully sans a clue?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b7a9633b491d

12. Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    You make a very valid point. Saying the word damn in 1996 would have gotten you burned at the stake, for sure. 1996 definitely didn't see Andrew Dice Clay or Howard Stern using such language. You certainly didn't see the main character of the TV show Martin using it as his catchphrase. How far we have fallen in such a short time, indeed.
    Or back a bit further to those truly wholesome 70's and the popularity of comedians like Richard Pryor.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Last time I checked , you have to buy a ticket or subscription to hear those guys, and you could always change the channel on Martins show....this is a public restaurant, with a public sign.... I'm no prude, but society has little or no conscience anymore for right and wrong....

There should some kind of charity to help those kids tramatized by the word damn. You can spot them pretty easily in the crowd. Heads down and shuffling their feet. It's so sad.....

[Back when our society had morals... during segregation!]

I must say they got some gosh darn good tacos. Another great get for Norman.

People tolerate stuff like this today, that they never would have 20 years ago. It shows how much our society and our values has changed in a short amount of time. But enough on that... If you don't like something don't support them, thats my motto..
    Outdoor theatre marque from over 50 years ago. Grow up.

Great, Jersey. Some people are just really reaching for a reason to be morally indignant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Outdoor theatre marque from over 50 years ago. Grow up.
    Jersey Boss,
    And now we have a move titled "Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot". What great progress. Of course that's what Broadway and Hollywood are good at, pushing the envelope. Does it make the world a better place? I don't think so, will the world come to an end because of Torchy's choice of words? Of course not.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Great, Jersey. Some people are just really reaching for a reason to be morally indignant.
    Ljbab,
    I only judge myself, I'm not reaching for anything, but I practice what I (don't)preach. In 39 1/2 years of marriage while raising two boys, only two obscenities escaped my mouth in front of family, one in front of my late wife and one to my younger son. That's the way I chose to live my life. Now before somebody calls me "Holier than thou", as I first said, I only judge the way I live, how others choose to live their lives is not my business. I should mention that I spent almost 8 years in the U. S. Navy and I know and have used all of the words, I'm just careful where I use them.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Ljbab,
    I only judge myself, I'm not reaching for anything, but I practice what I (don't)preach. In 39 1/2 years of marriage while raising two boys, only two obscenities escaped my mouth in front of family, one in front of my late wife and one to my younger son. That's the way I chose to live my life. Now before somebody calls me "Holier than thou", as I first said, I only judge the way I live, how others choose to live their lives is not my business. I should mention that I spent almost 8 years in the U. S. Navy and I know and have used all of the words, I'm just careful where I use them.
    C. T.
    CT, I wasn't referring to you and I admire you for that. I know a few people who can't say one complete sentence without a curse word and my thought is that those people just have such a limited vocabulary that they don't know how to express themselves without it.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    CT, I wasn't referring to you and I admire you for that. I know a few people who can't say one complete sentence without a curse word and my thought is that those people just have such a limited vocabulary that they don't know how to express themselves without it.
    Ljbab,
    I know you weren't referring to me and I didn't take it that way. I just felt a need to reply. I have a lot of respect for your posts.
    C. T.

23. Default Re: Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

I went last week. The line is still pretty long so I just went to the bar and sat down. You don't have to wait in line and you can order from the bar normally.

I had two tacos and I enjoyed the Trailer Park taco the most. The chips and queso are excellent!

I will be back!

Let's burn all the copies of "Gone with the Wind!" cause frankly my dear, I guess I don't have a conscience, because I don't give a damn about some indoor signage.

Should I also point out that the word "damn" (or a variation) appears 15 times in the new testament. Better tell my pastor to burn those books too.

While we're at it, don't bother cleaning the blood from your hands Lady Macbeth! That Damn'd spot will never go. Who'd have guessed Shakespeare had so much blood in him, yet so little conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Let's burn all the copies of "Gone with the Wind!" cause frankly my dear, I guess I don't have a conscience, because I don't give a damn about some indoor signage.

Should I also point out that the word "damn" (or a variation) appears 15 times in the new testament. Better tell my pastor to burn those books too.

While we're at it, don't bother cleaning the blood from your hands Lady Macbeth! That Damn'd spot will never go. Who'd have guessed Shakespeare had so much blood in him, yet so little conscience.
    Jerrywall,
    Put the "broad brush" away, I was raised by a single (divorced) mother and we (my sister and brother) were taught in a manner that I maintained my whole life. I don't judge anybody, but your post appears to say that you do. I don't believe you are that way. Just remember my post, I didn't use crude language in 39 1/2 years of marriage and my boys never heard it either. How you choose to live your life is none of my business.
    C. T.

Thread Information