Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: Make MAPS 1 cent sales tax at permanent tax with projects presented every 7 years.

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the current funding structure 'as is.'

    9 45.00%
  • Make it a permanet tax; then allow council to decide projects.

    2 10.00%
  • Make it a permanet tax; then allow voters to decide the projects.

    6 30.00%
  • End the MAPS tax when it expires in 2017.

    3 15.00%
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default Metropolitan Area ProjectS (Permanent Tax?)

    Is it time to make the Metropolitan Area ProjectS (MAPS) a permanent sales tax as we did with the Oklahoma City Zoo's 1/8 cent funding?

    Please forgive the error on the spelling of 'permanent tax' in poll questions 2, 3.

    There are pros & cons; what are your thoughts?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Metropolitan Area ProjectS (Permanent Tax?)

    Why is this in Transportation?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Metropolitan Area ProjectS (Permanent Tax?)

    Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Why is this in Transportation?
    There appears to be a 'heavy emphasis' trend to fund future modes of transit (Cable cars, light & commuter rail possibilities etc.,).

    Moderators could move it to Development & Building...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Metropolitan Area ProjectS (Permanent Tax?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    There appears to be a 'heavy emphasis' trend to fund future modes of transit (Cable cars, light & commuter rail possibilities etc.,).

    Moderators could move it to Development & Building...
    I think it's a civic issue in general. I've seen a strong push to make Maps 4 about neighborhoods, which can be anything from transportation to parks & recreation to public safety...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Metropolitan Area ProjectS (Permanent Tax?)

    Future OKC-RAT Oklahoma City Rapid Area Transit.

    Would like to see lines (Cable street car system) link OKC to Norman, Edmond, Midwest City-Shawnee & Yukon-El Reno. This would probably have to be phased in at some point. Building those line connection runs about $1 million per mile or more.

    Oklahoma City (Santa Fe Station Intermodal Transit Hub) to:

    Edmond (15 miles) (Citylink) Phase I
    Norman (19 miles) (Amtrak Station) Phase I
    Midwest City (8 miles) (Midwest Station)Phase I to Shawnee (Santa Fe Depot) (24 miles)
    Shawnee (32 miles) (Santa Fe Depot) Phase II or III
    Yukon (15 miles) Yukon Station Phase I to El Reno Heritage Express stationEl Reno (11 miles)
    El Reno (26 miles) Heritage Express Station Phase II or III

    Service initially established between cities based on supply & demand.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Metropolitan Area ProjectS (Permanent Tax?)

    Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I think it's a civic issue in general. I've seen a strong push to make Maps 4 about neighborhoods, which can be anything from transportation to parks & recreation to public safety...
    "I've seen a strong push to make Maps 4 about neighborhoods..."

    Agree,

    There are a number of areas where OKC needs attention. City-wide beautification; we have seen evidence of this under Mayor Mick Cornett's regime.

    Would love to see MAPS IV include:

    1. Transit foundation: Build to expand for future options $400 million.
    2. City-wide beautification; gateway entrances (Asian, Bricktown, Capitol Hill, Heritage Hills, Paseo, Stockyards City, Wheeler etc.,)
    More street planters & lights. $100 million
    3. Safe rooms for all Oklahoma City Area Public Schools that don't have them. $100 million.
    4. More improvement to the Oklahoma riverfront to spur future development (especially south bank near the AICCM). $50 million
    5. A high profile notable 'eye catching' monument; far exceed the impact of 'Skydance Bridge.' $40 million.
    6. Riverfront stadium: American & soccer football specific stadium. $40 million.
    7. Renovation of City-Hall & offices complex $10 million.
    8. Contingency fund: $30 million.

    (Note: MAPS III - $777 million, including $17 million in contingency fund.)

    Total package: $770 million - (7 year collection).

  7. #7

    Default Re: Metropolitan Area ProjectS (Permanent Tax?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Future OKC-RAT Oklahoma City Rapid Area Transit.

    Would like to see lines (Cable street car system) link OKC to Norman, Edmond, Midwest City-Shawnee & Yukon-El Reno. This would probably have to be phased in at some point. Building those line connection runs about $1 million per mile or more.

    Oklahoma City (Santa Fe Station Intermodal Transit Hub) to:

    Edmond (15 miles) (Citylink) Phase I
    Norman (19 miles) (Amtrak Station) Phase I
    Midwest City (8 miles) (Midwest Station)Phase I to Shawnee (Santa Fe Depot) (24 miles)
    Shawnee (32 miles) (Santa Fe Depot) Phase II or III
    Yukon (15 miles) Yukon Station Phase I to El Reno Heritage Express stationEl Reno (11 miles)
    El Reno (26 miles) Heritage Express Station Phase II or III

    Service initially established between cities based on supply & demand.
    Wouldn't this be commuter rail verses a type of street car?

    There appears to be a 'heavy emphasis' trend to fund future modes of transit (Cable cars, light & commuter rail possibilities etc.,).
    I think a long term transit funding option may need to be a separate voting item the way Oklahoma laws are written (at least anything to the operations side), it could have a name branding that ties it into MAPS and/or be done along side MAPS4, but the only thing that ties most any of the prior MAPS items together to allow them to be a single vote is they are all 'capital projects'.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Metropolitan Area ProjectS (Permanent Tax?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Wouldn't this be commuter rail verses a type of street car?
    My badd, correction: Definitely commuter rail to connect the metropolitan area system. Would we be able to use some of the existing lines? (1903 to 1947):

    see maps in link below...

    Historical Streetcar Routes | ACOG | Association of Central Oklahoma Governments

    Understand that OKC has rail tracks buried beneath many of the paved streets. Which is more economical: Dig up some of the paved over tracks that could be used; or start over from scratch?

    Just haven't done enough research on this local subject; so I'm phishing at this point--more like pissing in the wind .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Midwest City Area Street and Highway Projects
    By Plutonic Panda in forum Midwest City/Del City
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2015, 08:37 AM
  2. Tulsa Area Road Projects
    By Plutonic Panda in forum Tulsa & Suburbs
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-24-2014, 02:30 AM
  3. New 2011 population estimates for OKC metropolitan area
    By semisimple in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM
  4. Replies: 54
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 05:37 PM
  5. Any Advantages to Making MAPS TAX permanent?
    By Laramie in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 09:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO