Widgets Magazine

Thread: Stillwater's First Roundabout Opens

Default Stillwater's First Roundabout Opens

Surely the BID will come up with a statue to put in the middle of it:

Default Re: Stillwater's First Roundabout Opens

Recently in the middle of the roundabout a statue called "Bronco Buster" was installed as pictured:

I am curious if a tractor trailer can negotiate this roundabout safely.

I like this! Main Street makes a lot of sense for roundabouts. I always wanted a high-volume one at 6th and Main, which is a really blighted intersection currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    They should be able to, though Stillwater's layout looks like it would not encourage them to be taking either of these roads in most cases anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I like this! Main Street makes a lot of sense for roundabouts. I always wanted a high-volume one at 6th and Main, which is a really blighted intersection currently.
    Yes, it takes too long to wait for the light to change to make a left turn. I don't see what's so blighted about it, since all businesses at that busy corner seem to be thriving.

It's parking lots on all four sides, and it's the city's main intersection. I know "1st and Main" is a few blocks to the north, but this is really that for Stillwater. Most other communities wouldn't allow for such a blighted appearance.

One of the shoddy land uses (the gas station on the NW corner) is owned by a former (embattled) councilmember that used to beat his chest about being a "business owner." In a prideful community, gas station owners don't get away with squandering prime real estate and then beating their chest about how awesome they are for doing so.

Sadly that's going to be one of the tougher corners to repurpose in the future because gas tanks require extensive and costly environmental clean-up. The Walgreen on that corner is also a huge shame. Those two chains in particular have an urban format store that they're never thrilled to use, but they will when given no other choice. Stillwater as a community could have made a stand there, too. SNB is obviously a community anchor, so they may consider doing something with their land (I think only SNB execs park there, and some handicap and "customer-only" spaces?) if they are engaged in downtown talks. The SE corner may be the easiest to repurpose, as that old tire shop has good structural bones and a cool awning/canopy at the corner that could make great outdoor seating.

But all in all, if you have pride, stop accepting crap. You all really need to catch up to Norman and Edmond... things seemed to be going very well for a while, and then just kind of stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Buses, trucks and trailers can use the truck aprons on the roundabout.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's parking lots on all four sides, and it's the city's main intersection. I know "1st and Main" is a few blocks to the north, but this is really that for Stillwater. Most other communities wouldn't allow for such a blighted appearance.

One of the shoddy land uses (the gas station on the NW corner) is owned by a former (embattled) councilmember that used to beat his chest about being a "business owner." In a prideful community, gas station owners don't get away with squandering prime real estate and then beating their chest about how awesome they are for doing so.

Sadly that's going to be one of the tougher corners to repurpose in the future because gas tanks require extensive and costly environmental clean-up. The Walgreen on that corner is also a huge shame. Those two chains in particular have an urban format store that they're never thrilled to use, but they will when given no other choice. Stillwater as a community could have made a stand there, too. SNB is obviously a community anchor, so they may consider doing something with their land (I think only SNB execs park there, and some handicap and "customer-only" spaces?) if they are engaged in downtown talks. The SE corner may be the easiest to repurpose, as that old tire shop has good structural bones and a cool awning/canopy at the corner that could make great outdoor seating.

But all in all, if you have pride, stop accepting crap. You all really need to catch up to Norman and Edmond... things seemed to be going very well for a while, and then just kind of stopped.
    The other main intersection is at 6th and Perkins Rd., since it's where highways 177 and 51 intersect. It also is blighted as you would put it, but with a creek very near two corners, making development next to impossible.

It sure stopped over a year ago, specifically where the major remodeling project on the building at the NW corner of 7th and Main came to a halt. Don't know why.

That former city councilor was a slick talker, along with being foolishly dumb how he ended up alienating so many citizens on both sides when his campaign to get rid of the young mayor failed. Later, his ouster, in irony, led to another young, inexperienced member on the city council. His first term went on without much personal controversy, but lost reelection.

Blog Entries

This has a lot of potential for an Aggie joke, especially during OU-OSU week but I'll refrain!

So this entire roundabout only cost $60,000?

Thread Information