Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - August 2015

Default General Weather Discussion - August 2015

I believe we have actually moved into August now. :)

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - August 2015

Ring of fire in place through the weekend. Models trying their hardest to bring in moisture and temp relief heading into the middle of next week.

Counties, purple ones, in Oklahoma are under a excessive heat warning FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
    8 PM CDT THIS EVENING. It does not include Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Counties, purple ones, in Oklahoma are under a excessive heat warning FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
    8 PM CDT THIS EVENING. It does not include Oklahoma City.

The granularity of a "heat warning" versus an "excessive" heat warning all tied to an index that varies by a few points of humidity makes me kinda scratch my head a bit. I don't know if you get that much of a "delta" in behavior for making an "extreme" or "excessive" or whatever warning over just..."Hey, heat warning."

Maybe I'm just an old-timer curmudgeon who has spent many, many sweltering summers in OK and just don't find triple-digit temps and thick humidity very surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    The granularity of a "heat warning" versus an "excessive" heat warning all tied to an index that varies by a few points of humidity makes me kinda scratch my head a bit. I don't know if you get that much of a "delta" in behavior for making an "extreme" or "excessive" or whatever warning over just..."Hey, heat warning."

Maybe I'm just an old-timer curmudgeon who has spent many, many sweltering summers in OK and just don't find triple-digit temps and thick humidity very surprising.
    I agree with you….

I have spent much of the summer outside fixing storm damage myself… My sweat equity is worth thousands of dollars according to 2 contractors. But at least I can come inside and take a break when I want. I have also lost about 15 pounds.

As our summers go this hasn’t been a bad summer at all…. but to listen to the news people you would think we were setting all-time records for heat. This is seasonably normal but a tad humid for my taste.

Sounds like we have a strong El Nino that will influence our weather this fall and winter?

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I agree with you….

I have spent much of the summer outside fixing storm damage myself… My sweat equity is worth thousands of dollars according to 2 contractors. But at least I can come inside and take a break when I want. I have also lost about 15 pounds.

As our summers go this hasn’t been a bad summer at all…. but to listen to the news people you would think we were setting all-time records for heat. This is seasonably normal but a tad humid for my taste.

Sounds like we have a strong El Nino that will influence our weather this fall and winter?
    if that brings heavy early snow to the rockies so my post Christmas trip to southern Colorado isn't spent on icy rock ridden slopes I'll be happy

Blog Entries

My last summer working on farm in SW Okla was summer of 1980 - hauling irrigation pipe, plowing with no cab tractor, hauling hay, etc. It was one of hottest summers on record, and many of those records which were broken a few years ago (2011 or 2012) broke the summer '80 records. So I agree, this summer not all that bad overall but we got a few scorchers coming up for a few days for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    My last summer working on farm in SW Okla was summer of 1980 - hauling irrigation pipe, plowing with no cab tractor, hauling hay, etc. It was one of hottest summers on record, and many of those records which were broken a few years ago (2011 or 2012) broke the summer '80 records. So I agree, this summer not all that bad overall but we got a few scorchers coming up for a few days for sure!
    That was a very brutal summer particularly in that part of the state….

I had a summer job working outside for a major NG pipeline company….I roasted everyday… No sun screen… They still wanted us to take salt tablets. I told them that in college I had learned that salt tablets weren’t the best idea according to the latest science of the day.
    My girlfriend at the time who was a very nice person, had a very high IQ and was a hot nursing student couldn’t seem to ever understand why I didn’t want to go to the drive in theater or even to the lake on the weekends.

Blog Entries

^ Absolutely remember the salt tablets and the "no water" at two a day football practices back then! Wow.

10. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - August 2015

I read that the average first day of 100 degrees in OKC is July 9th. I am happy that it is a month later this year. Not too bad of a summer so far.

The heat index here topped out at 120 on Friday afternoon. 120 is not all that high. One of the highest heat indexes ever recorded in the U. S. was 144 in Sheldon, Iowa, on July 29, 1999.

Does anyone know what the all-time high heat index is in Oklahoma?
    I can remember 3 or 4 days in a row of 122 in Norman a few years ago… but there is bound to be something higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The heat index here topped out at 120 on Friday afternoon. 120 is not all that high. One of the highest heat indexes ever recorded in the U. S. was 144 in Sheldon, Iowa, on July 29, 1999.

In what world is 120F not "all that high"? Just because it isn't the all time record high heat index? That is oppressive, dangerous heat no matter how you slice it.

M
    ^ Absolutely remember the salt tablets and the "no water" at two a day football practices back then! Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    That was a very brutal summer particularly in that part of the state….

I had a summer job working outside for a major NG pipeline company….I roasted everyday… No sun screen… They still wanted us to take salt tablets. I told them that in college I had learned that salt tablets weren’t the best idea according to the latest science of the day.
    My girlfriend at the time who was a very nice person, had a very high IQ and was a hot nursing student couldn’t seem to ever understand why I didn’t want to go to the drive in theater or even to the lake on the weekends.
    I was working for Liebmann Ice company that summer, and I remember us running out of ice. We couldn't keep up with the demand, and had to have numerous semi loads of ice trucked in from Ohio. There were also lots of people buying up the big 300lb blocks of ice to put in their swimming pools.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    In what world is 120F not "all that high"? Just because it isn't the all time record high heat index? That is oppressive, dangerous heat no matter how you slice it.
    I mowed most of my lawn that afternoon before going inside to take a cooling water break and was fine. It's only dangerous if you fail to take a break from the heat.

Blog Entries

Is this really August? Last few days have been NICE! Moved my daughter in to dorms at OU in Wed and was downright lovely! Hard to believe!!

Is this really August? Last few days have been NICE! Moved my daughter in to dorms at OU in Wed and was downright lovely! Hard to believe!!
    Ive even noticed a small bit of fallen leaves which is really unusual for this time of year.

Storm chances going up next couple days.

At this time, Marginal Risk for severe weather on Tuesday.

SLIGHT risk extended into NC and NW OK for tonight into tomorrow.

Looks like good shot of rain for the NW 2/3 of the state.

MD out for SLIGHT risk region:

Wow, mighty strange how the weather works this evening. A storm was approaching, headed straight for Stillwater, so no surprise when the sun quit shining. But a half hour later, surprise, the sun came back out. A check on radar revealed the storm had about collapsed. It will be interesting to see how things further work out as we head toward an usually strong cool down.

Strong line of storms with embedded severe cells coming across the state now. Currently about 2 hours out of OKC area (3am arrival).

Main threat is lightning and flash flooding.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Strong line of storms with embedded severe cells coming across the state now. Currently about 2 hours out of OKC area (3am arrival).

Main threat is lightning and flash flooding.
    Oklahoma City and and to no suprise, Stillwater dodged the heaviest part of it, but Tulsa, part of southeast Oklahoma and some other places sure didn't. Possible record lows for tonight.

Well Bunty did you finally get your rain?

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    Well Bunty did you finally get your rain?
    Not from the first storm that came through a while after midnight. It had about fallen apart upon arrival and so only got .03". But from the storm's last gasps came a very loud clap of thunder. It set off several breakers, so had to reset them. Fortunately, lightning didn't hit anything.

Later this morning, another storm came through that really meant business. It woke me up from repeated loud claps of thunder. Got 1.33" from it with CATV and Internet out for several hours. However, got bypassed by a heavier part of the storm, since the Stillwater Airport got 3 in. However, also got bypassed by the hail core, so that part of it was good. Some locations to the north got over 5 in. of rain since early this morning.

Thread Information