Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cecil the lion

Default Cecil the lion

Sorry if this has been posted anywhere else, but thought this is where the thread should go.

U.S. dentist wanted for killing Cecil the lion - CNN.com

Default Re: Cecil the lion

Yeah, I don't understand big game tourism. I don't have a problem with hunting in general, especially for food, and when used to help maintain population levels (such as deer hunting). But this type of sport hunting where it's just about collecting trophies makes me ill.

In The Annals of Assholism, this clown should receive special recognition. What a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand big game tourism. I don't have a problem with hunting in general, especially for food, and when used to help maintain population levels (such as deer hunting). But this type of sport hunting where it's just about collecting trophies makes me ill.
    Especially when the guides on this hunt lured him out of his protected habitat and then tried to destroy it's tracking device.

Based on his statement, I'm not sure this guy realizes what trouble he is in.

Assuming that the current story in the media is true, he could be tried for violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act for essentially bribing someone to commit a crime. Also, Zimbabwe is one of the few countries that has an extradition agreement with the US. And if I am not mistaken, he is on probation in Wisconsin for poaching there as well; this is clearly a violation of that.

If something good comes out of this, I hope this is the beginning of the end of big game hunting in some of these countries.

You beat me to it:

Im glad to see the above posters be able to properly differentiate between hunting typical midwest animals for reasons like food or population control verses paying $50k to some African guides to bait, lure, spotlight and easily shoot an animal whose population is in decline and doesnt even provide you with food. Only a giant rug and a head to hang on your wall so that you can feel like a cool individual. What this dentist did isnt hunting and is quite disgusting.

Hopefully this story causes others that are thinking of paying a ton of money to shoot an African animal to reconsider.

I don't care what kind of animal it is - killing for fun is a sick 'hobby' and a sign of a mental disorder. People like this should be barred from owning any weapons - period.

Couldn't agree more. I have zero issues with hunting but stuff like this makes me sick. Doing all that just to have this animal's head on your wall is crazy to me.

I do hope they expedite this, person, back to Zimbabwe to face charges. Cecil was socialized and was just wanting to say Hi. RIP Cecil.

12. Default Re: Cecil the lion

My dad raised me that I clean/eat what I shoot/hunt. Wish more people lived by that.

Well there goes them bragging rights I assume. I'm usually a live and let live sort when it comes to humans killing animals but this incident rubbed me the wrong way. Here's hoping this little man gets his just deserts.

If you want to donate to the people who put the GPS collar on Cecil, here is the link.

https://secure.www.alumniconnections...sp?form_id=382

Allocate your donation to "WildCRU"

Sad, sad, story. Jimmie Kimmel was being nice calling him a JackHole - imagine what he said off the air. Despicable story.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I don't care what kind of animal it is - killing for fun is a sick 'hobby' and a sign of a mental disorder. People like this should be barred from owning any weapons - period.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, Kerry. I'm just wondering if you view bullfighting the same way.

Bullfighting should be banned, but we all know that won't happen.

It's ingrained in Spanish culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Bullfighting should be banned, but we all know that won't happen.

It's ingrained in Spanish culture.
    I agree. I've been to one bullfight in Malaga, Spain. It was many years ago and I've had absolutely no desire to see another one.

Maybe Cecil's death will force change. The percentage of hunting of lions allowed per year is not proportional to sustaining their existence. Moral issues completely aside, they are being killed of incrementally on a 2% or more decline every year per several articles.

His tragedy might help slow or reverse the trend.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUFan View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I have zero issues with hunting but stuff like this makes me sick. Doing all that just to have this animal's head on your wall is crazy to me.
    What exactly is the moral difference between hunting a lion for a trophy and hunting deer/elk/whatever to put antler trophies on your wall? Or to show off the giant fish that you caught? I agree with JTF in that hunters have mental disorders. With exceptions, most people hunt because they love it. That is sick.

hey, guys... what's going on in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    What exactly is the moral difference between hunting a lion for a trophy and hunting deer/elk/whatever to put antler trophies on your wall? Or to show off the giant fish that you caught? I agree with JTF in that hunters have mental disorders. With exceptions, most people hunt because they love it. That is sick.
    Because if you hunt a deer you are a) probably going to consume the flesh and b) are hunting something legally, that's not in a declining population, and that needs population control to sustain their existence.

Because if you hunt a deer you are a) probably going to consume the flesh and b) are hunting something legally, that's not in a declining population, and that needs population control to sustain their existence.
    I'm not talking about legality or population control. A lot of hunters just like to shoot things for the thrill of it. They justify the thrill of killing living animals by spouting out bs about population control.

Why do some people give this dentist so much crap for wanting an exotic trophy, and not give people crap for their antler trophies or bear rugs?

If hunters only cared about eating their prey and population control, they wouldn't show off their "trophies".

The internal response is interesting (doesn't change how I feel about this though).

?What lion?? Zimbabweans see Cecil?s demise as first-world problem

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    Found the vegan.

There's a massive difference between hunting for food and population management, and hunting for the sake of hunting. If you don't see the difference, you're actively trying not to.

Thread Information