Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Saj Lebanese (formerly Cultivar)

Default Re: Cultivar

BTW, their best advertising is that patio and walk-up bar on Broadway.

Sitting at that outdoor bar on Monday evening, I watched hundreds and hundreds of cars heading north out of downtown, and most were slowing down to check it out.

It's pretty crazy to think that apart from Red's small outdoor area, there has not been one patio along Auto Alley. Yuzo will soon add there own a few doors down from Cultivar as will Hatch, but really Water's Edge Winery, Hideaway and others should clue in and jump on the opportunity.

I have to say it's a very big city feel to Cultivar in general but especially sitting outside with the skyline to the south and all the AA neon to the north.

I don't understand how it's legal to block the right of way with the sidewalk patio seating. It seems like the business waits to close out the building permit. Then just sneaks a barrier out there. In the case of cultivar it's just a concrete planter that needs to be moved. Out in front of Red Prime it's a light pole. Same as the case in front of Empire Slice House, which is downright comical until you see someone having to backtrack then roll down in the street behind the parked cars. You literally can't get a wheelchair past it. I'm not crying out for ADA, in fact I hate ADA code and it's ever encroaching revisions. But just to be able to wheel a chair down the pedestrian right of way doesn't seem like too much to ask.

That being said I had lunch here today and it was STELLAR. The lamb taco and shrimp taco were the star of the show so far. love those house made tortillas.

There are a few strange mistakes though that I wouldn't think would be made by a seasoned and vetted restauratuer. Does anyone know who owns it? Does it have Hal Smith money? He's kinda going underground these days. 1st., I'm 6'2" and had to duck under the garage doors. 2nd. The chipotle line and the taco line intersect at the same place. So I skipped everyone in the chipotle line to get tacos, then had people holding salads in dog food(my affectionate term for restaurants that sell salad in mixing) bowls waiting behind me to order and pay just to they could pay for the food they were holding and had already stood in line for. 3rd the tequila looks like it's serving life in prison. If you see it, you'll know what I mean.

All said I think it's a great concept and a welcome addition to the OKC scene. I will frequent this place. Plus we're already scheming takeout diner of the half rotisserie bird + sides from the chipotle line. I will say though that for a casual lunch 2 tacos, side of chips w/guac and a soft drink came to $20 and change before tip. Hefty, but delicious.

Been meaning to mention that on Saturday they were giving out small samples of several things and they gave us a few scoops of something that was delicious but I wasn't sure what it was.

Looking at their menu, it had to have been the Mexican Street Corn... I think the corn was just largely disguised because of the Mexican crema and cheese (feta maybe?) and various spices.

I really want to try all the sides because they look interesting but the corn was pretty fantastic.

Well I was really excited about this place and broke my rule about new restaurants and went Monday. I get it was opening day and knew there would be kinks to work out - was really willing to look past it and give it a try any way. I must be the only one with a bad experience here. Went with my husband and we each ordered 2 tacos - took 50 minutes after we ordered for them to arrive. Would have been willing to overlook that and pay it to the game but the pork tacos really didn't have any flavor and my husband's cheeseburger taco came out with all the meat burned. I did order a barbacoa that was pretty good. Also, they only had one busser cleaning tables the place was packed and he wasn't moving very fast - again something you can look past for a new place. The last thing that annoyed me is one of the... i dont know what they are because they weren't servers... came by and asked how we were doing - i asked her about the margaritas and she said they were only serving beer and wine that day however I saw tons of people with cocktails and what looked like margaritas, so I just had my soda and decided I wouldn't be back for a few months and even then would probably just order a burrito.

^^^^^

I'm actually baffled as to why they don't have servers. The chipotle line makes total sense as you need to go down the line and specify. But the tacos and everything else could be done by table service. Now...I get that the new, hip way of service is all counter service because of the substantial reduction of staff and labor cost. But while we sat there and soaked up the sun and the cool breeze drinking our anthem uroboros. We kinda wanted another one...but were too lazy to get up and wade to the bar to get one. In the end we just ended up camping on an otherwise empty table for about 20 minutes. If someone had come by and offered us another round we would have had another, and probably another nother after that. Then just shut down the office for the rest of the afternoon and ubered home half drunk at 5pm yelling SPRING BREAK! But none of that happened. I eventually did have to go back to the bar because the bartender was so inundated she opened us up a tab rather than ring in the beers and tender payment. Cocktail service is one thing I enjoy greatly. America!

PS I also encourage people to jump outside the steak/chicken/carnitas box as the real standouts were the adobo lamb, duck confit, and mango shrimp. I hope they consider expanding the menu to quesadillas as creative as the tacos.

PPS I'm also still begging for a taqueria somewhere withing the box of 10th st, 23rd st/robinson ave, classen. Not white boy tacos but greasy, few frills, street food.

PPPS The sauces were cool, old school pepper/salt/vinegar sauce. But what's even cooler is you don't need them. The sauces, dressings, and accouterments that came on the finished product were super tasty.
    Last edited by Uptowner; 03-16-2016 at 04:54 PM. Reason: so many PSSS!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Been meaning to mention that on Saturday they were giving out small samples of several things and they gave us a few scoops of something that was delicious but I wasn't sure what it was.

Looking at their menu, it had to have been the Mexican Street Corn... I think the corn was just largely disguised because of the Mexican crema and cheese (feta maybe?) and various spices.

I really want to try all the sides because they look interesting but the corn was pretty fantastic.
    I think Mexican cooking uses queso fresco to crumble on things, not feta, but feta's related... As much as you eat/have eaten at Abel's, I figured you'd know queso fresco quite well. Unless Cultivar's going way outside the box cheese-wise, that is.

From Cotija to Queso Fresco: A Mexican Cheese Primer - Bon Appétit

They do use feta as well. Similar to Fuzzy's. It's got a bit more flavor. But the cheese on my taco was cotija. Then there's 5+ cheeses on the chipotle line including bleu and cheddar. I think they're using an arsenal.

I have been to this place 2 days in a row. The first time the two lines confused me, but i knew what was up this time. The oxtail and duck were unbelievably awesome. We got guacamole and queso that were very good. The thick chips were incredible. Agreed on the lack of cocktail servers but figured its because of it being new and what not. Really excited to have this place downtown and to chill on that patio. Prices are a tad high but you can taste the quality in their ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    They do use feta as well. Similar to Fuzzy's. It's got a bit more flavor. But the cheese on my taco was cotija. Then there's 5+ cheeses on the chipotle line including bleu and cheddar. I think they're using an arsenal.
    Wow, good to know, pretty nice... We plan on hitting there in a month or so, when they have it a bit more together.

10. Default Re: Cultivar

Had a couple of tacos there tonight plus a couple of my now go-to Lauginitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin. The bar is simply getting DOGGED. They had a couple of veteran bartenders tonight, but probably needed 4, especially with the fussy (and I assume good) cocktails. The good news is that with the bar being that hot they will probably very quickly have some new bartenders knocking down their door. They may have had a tough time getting them initially, because what pro wants to work at what they probably assumed was just another Chipotle? It obviously is NOT Chipotle, that much is obvious now.

Tonight I had the duck confit and the pork, and two were plenty, like I figured they would be. Honestly though, what keeps bringing me back is the setting.

Went tonight, my thoughts, FWIW.

The dual ordering line is untenable, unless you want to stand in line twice for your food. If you have multiple people on the same tab, I'm not sure how well that will work. Settled on tacos only, to solve the dual line dilemma. Duck confit was flavorless. Shrimp was horribly over cooked and rubbery. Oxtail was great. Tacos were small and pricy. 3 tacos, a side of beans and chips w/ queso were $30. 3 tacos for 2 people came out on the same taco holder. Not sure if you can request an additional plate or not. Chips and queso were good as previously mentioned. At the checkout, I inquired as to cocktails, was told to order at the bar. The bar was deep with people, fortunately our "server" was available. No cocktail menu, just some notes she had scribbled on a piece of paper. 2 tap handles, Pacifico and an Anthem product. Bottles? Yeah, I think so but not sure what. What cocktails do you have? Any specialties? Just some meaningless descriptions with no knowledge of ingredients, serving manner, price, etc.

There are some curious decisions regarding the layout of the place, especially with regard to the dual opposing pairs of garage doors, but I'm not a restaurant designer, so what do I know.

Wish them well; won't be back anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post

The dual ordering line is untenable, unless you want to stand in line twice for your food. If you have multiple people on the same tab, I'm not sure how well that will work. Settled on tacos only, to solve the dual line dilemma. Duck confit was flavorless. Shrimp was horribly over cooked and rubbery. Oxtail was great. Tacos were small and pricy. 3 tacos, a side of beans and chips w/ queso were $30. 3 tacos for 2 people came out on the same taco holder. Not sure if you can request an additional plate or not. Chips and queso were good as previously mentioned. At the checkout, I inquired as to cocktails, was told to order at the bar. The bar was deep with people, fortunately our "server" was available. No cocktail menu, just some notes she had scribbled on a piece of paper. 2 tap handles, Pacifico and an Anthem product. Bottles? Yeah, I think so but not sure what. What cocktails do you have? Any specialties? Just some meaningless descriptions with no knowledge of ingredients, serving manner, price, etc.

There are some curious decisions regarding the layout of the place, especially with regard to the dual opposing pairs of garage doors, but I'm not a restaurant designer, so what do I know.

Based on your description I can only conclude they are a new concept that has just opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post

It amazes me how many people unabashedly complain about restaurants the day/month that they open....chill out they opened three days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    It amazes me how many people unabashedly complain about restaurants the day/month that they open....chill out they opened three days ago.
    Exactly. Everyone knows that new restaurants will assuredly have a number of issues to work through. Maybe not jump online and write off a brand new local business on day 3. I've had some bad experiences at new restaurants that turned out fantastic. There's a process...

3 tacos, a side of beans and chips w/ queso were $30

That is not a small amount of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Based on your description I can only conclude they are a new concept that has just opened.
    I literally laughed out loud at this comment.

Then I reread it and realized what I read was not what you wrote.

What I read was "Based on your description I can only conclude that you are a new concept that has just opened". I died laughing.

17. Default Re: Cultivar

What I like about it (and seems others felt the same way) is you immediately want to come back and try the rest of the menu. There are so many different options that eating there once is really only a teaser. It will be even better once they open their rooftop.

I went last night with some friends.

The good:
    The decor is great, they had the doors open to the street, and it was very lively. It was busy, and people seemed happy. There are a few TV's, but not the best place to watch a game.
    I had a duck taco and a oxtail taco, and both were great. Well seasoned, tender, good balance of ingredients, and tasted very fresh. They're a bit small, but I think worth the price. The chips are the thick ones that don't break when you scoop a good helping of guacamole with them, and they're clearly fresh also. The guac was good, but needed something to make it pop. I might mix in a touch of hot sauce next time. A couple others got salads, and they're quite large salads, and my friends liked them a lot.

The bad:
    Everything else.
    The lines are confusing, and the burrito/salad line moves MUCH faster than the taco line. You can order sodas and water at the checkout, but to order a beer, which I wanted, you have to get it at the bar or wait for a server. I paid for my tacos and found my table. It took 15 minutes for a server to come to the table, and she didn't know the drink list. It took 10 minutes for her to come back with a list. I ordered a beer. She said it would take a while, but told me not to get one from the bar because that slows down the bar and the servers from getting their drinks. My wife ordered a sangria. I waited another 20 minutes, no beer, no sangria, no water. I went to the bar, the bartender was very much dazed at what was going on, but I finally got a beer. That took 5 minutes of the bartenders ignoring me. I went back to my table, still no tacos. The friends that got salads and burritos were almost done with their food, but never got their drinks. Server finally brings my tacos 5 minutes after I get back from the bar with my beer, and the beer I ordered followed maybe another 5 minutes later. Overall, it took about 50 minutes to get tacos, 55 minutes to get a beer. I know it's early, and I am sure they'll make some changes, but the service there was a dumpster fire. It will get better. BTW, my wife's sangria was awful and it was sent back.

TL;DR, don't go if you want a beer with your meal. Wait a few weeks and let them work out the service issues. Food is really good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I literally laughed out loud at this comment.

Then I reread it and realized what I read was not what you wrote.

What I read was "Based on your description I can only conclude that you are a new concept that has just opened". I died laughing.
    I initially just read the first line of your comment was feeling very proud of my apparent comedic genius. Then I read the rest of your post and realized that I am only accidentally hilarious. Ah well.

"She said it would take a while, but told me not to get one from the bar because that slows down the bar and the servers from getting their drinks." This is actually true but she's shouldn't have told you that. Tickets that come up with a drink order on them lets the bartender make the drink and set it on the mat without having to interact, answer questions, act courteous, and tender payment, leaving these processes to the cocktail server. However, ignorance is bliss, and if you want to get up and go to the bar you're entitled to do so.

"Duck confit was flavorless. Shrimp was horribly overcooked and rubbery." What I tend to see in grand openenings is the chef works about 100 hours per week in the week leading up to, and first week of business. They just get ground down and can let things slip, what makes it even worse is he's the only guy that knows how to cook it properly. So if he had to go home and crash at 8 after the rush then the guys who watch him make the food are now making the food. And they don't have enough to practice. I'm also a bit confused by the duck confit comment. It's duck cooked in its own rendered fat, and one of the richest/tastiest proteins out there. I don't know how it could be screwed up, unless they ran short on fat.

Anyway. I wish I knew who the owners are. I'm inclined to think they're small. Even the moderately sized local groups like chris lower or good egg have far smoother openings. But I think they will get it ironed out. I'm way positive on this place. And I can get a 2,000 calorie salad from the chipotle line, but I'm still eating kale so that makes it okay!

PS the dual garage doors are so they can air con the indoor space while having the vetabule space open and also have the option to go open air on nice days. I've seen it at, and I'm not trying to rag here, chipotle. NOW who's the comedy genius??? ))

PPS I'm not sure why the doors are so low that I hit my head on them though. Also, once a smart grackle(bird) figures out that there's a Mexican smorgasbord on display in an open kitchen. It'll be hard to get him out. Chipotle also has this problem.

All the chipotle references aside this is totally NOT a chipotle. And it is damn tasty. Even if the service right now is comparable to flaming garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    "Duck confit was flavorless. Shrimp was horribly overcooked and rubbery." What I tend to see in grand openenings is the chef works about 100 hours per week in the week leading up to, and first week of business. They just get ground down and can let things slip, what makes it even worse is he's the only guy that knows how to cook it properly. So if he had to go home and crash at 8 after the rush then the guys who watch him make the food are now making the food. And they don't have enough to practice. I'm also a bit confused by the duck confit comment. It's duck cooked in its own rendered fat, and one of the richest/tastiest proteins out there. I don't know how it could be screwed up, unless they ran short on fat.
    I hear you on the duck. I was really looking forward to it. It lacked all of the unctuous richness that it should have. It tasted like some shredded meat from a pressure cooker, at least from the tablespoon sized dollop that was on my taco. The size of the tacos are inordinately small. They look like 4-5 inch tortillas, definitely much smaller than what you would consider standard.

Actually now that mention the size I was disappointed that the $7.50 shrimp taco only came with 2 shrimp. I left about a third of the taco on the table as it has run out of shrimp after only 2 bites...

I'm here now. First, the space is fantastic and it's a place I'd stop to have a beer, which is tough to pull off for a place that is primarily a restaurant. My wife and I ordered queso and chips and I'll second Pete's recommendation. I ordered the shrimp taco and catfish taco. They were both good, but the former was really good. My wife ordered a salad and she wondered why they had only rotisserie and not fajita chicken. Also, the onions and green peppers were raw, not sautéed. She thought both of those things were decidedly not Tex-Mex. Thoughts?

I'll agree with others that the separate lines don't work. I don't mind standing in lines at all because I can converse with friends. In this case, my wife and I stood in separate lines and had to pay separate. It doesn't work and I suspect they'll change it.

Overall, I love this place and suspect they'll iron out the wrinkles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	12375

24. Default Re: Cultivar

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    ...Overall, I love this place and suspect they'll iron out the wrinkles...
    Pretty much sums up my own thoughts beautifully.

You can order tacos in both lines. You do not have to seperate from your group.

Thread Information