Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Saj Lebanese (formerly Cultivar)

1. Default Re: Cultivar

New entrance going up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12301559_437096243146011_5622412417062815430_n.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	11855

2. Default Re: Cultivar

^^^^^^
    I think that might just be a temporary box built over the opening so that the can work on the new storefront out of the elements and away from prying eyes. The storefront in that bay is going to be a roll-up door with an indoor/outdoor bar.

Default Re: Cultivar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe it will be quick service, as in order at the counter ala Chipotle.
    E. Coli at no extra charge

^Just kidding above about the e.coli.

I'm actually enthused to see that the egg group in midtown is also doing the homemade tortilla as well as this place.

my limited experience in so.texas tells me that the tacquerias don't succeed without making their own tortillas.

there is gonna be a taco quality battle soon, I always wanted big truck to have better quality tortillas.

5. Default Re: Cultivar

Their rotisserie area where they will make fresh corn tortillas:

Name:	Cultivar.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	11943

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^
    I think that might just be a temporary box built over the opening so that the can work on the new storefront out of the elements and away from prying eyes. The storefront in that bay is going to be a roll-up door with an indoor/outdoor bar.
    That's a lot of work with the snips, screws, and Ramset to make a screen vs renting a sight proof fence. If so, someone went Cate Blanchet with the budget.

7. Default Re: Cultivar

Their service line is almost complete:

Name:	12486030_447421778780124_1681393479016800377_o.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	12036

Is the sign outside Cultivar's permanent sign? Are they not doing a neon sign or does the current one have those capabilities?

9. Default Re: Cultivar

The current sign actually already contains (a small amount of) neon. I'm sure they are keeping it, as using the existing can will be a huge savings, and no permit would be required.

Just talked to the owner who said they will be using the existing fixture but putting in a new, full-neon sign.

Should see it go up in a couple of weeks.

Will be taking a tour there next week and will post some photos.

11. Default Re: Cultivar

A neon sign will be a great addition.

12. Default Re: Cultivar

Another picture of their progress:

Name:	12496312_451460895042879_4213869960852130172_o.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	12115

My god I would be PISSED if I had to work on the site with the equipment being stored in the way.

14. Default Re: Cultivar

Maybe they're to the point of construction where it is not being stored but instead being installed..?

^

No doubt they have to get the bigger stuff in so they can finish the build-out around it, close in the big exterior openings, etc.

They need to hurry up so they can take my $$$. Very much looking forward to this place.

They are moving pretty quickly now.

Shouldn't be too much longer.

18. Default Re: Cultivar

Getting closer:

Name:	C1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	12180 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	12181

Are there still plans to add a rooftop deck?

20. Default Re: Cultivar

Quote Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
    New entrance going up:

Name:	12301559_437096243146011_5622412417062815430_n.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	11855
    ^^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    That's a lot of work with the snips, screws, and Ramset to make a screen vs renting a sight proof fence. If so, someone went Cate Blanchet with the budget.
    Turns out I was right about something for once.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Are there still plans to add a rooftop deck?
    Yes.

Turns out I was right about something for once.
    Bragger!

23. Default Re: Cultivar

Hey, I take 'em where I can get 'em!

Got a full tour today and this place is *way* more impressive inside than I had imagined.

They still don't have a firm opening date but are getting very close.

Was in a hurry so no pictures of the substantial metal awning they installed along Broadway which will provide a lot of shade and cover for the streetside dining. Also, there will be a walk-up bar window on the outdoor patio.

They will be following The Garage model, where you order at the counter but then a bartender will serve you beer and drinks at your table. The whole idea is to encourage people to stay and hang out.

The two glass overhead doors will open to the street on nice days.

ALSO... The rooftop deck is still planned, they just wanted to concentrate on getting the main restaurant open and everything up to par before spreading the operation and staff between two levels. Gary Goldman (owner / operator) is a very well-respected guy in the local restaurant world and you can see the great attention to detail.

AND... You can see in the third photo a corridor with seating that leads back to a a room that will seat about 30. It looks out on the back alley and feels cool in that rustic urban way. Will be open for general seating but can be used for meetings and events.

AND... There is a private room in the back that is this ultra cool now out-of-commission service elevator! It's like a cage with a wire top where you can see all the up the elevator shaft and then out into the alley. I've never seen anything like this.

These pictures do not do this place justice. And in addition to the fantastic design and setting, the operators are very culinary focused and the food should be fresh and great.

I'm personally very excited about this and along with Yuzo just a few doors to the north, this will bring lots of life to the middle part of Auto Alley and help bridge it with everything on and near 10th Street. And imagine when both those places open their rooftops.

25. Default Re: Cultivar

BTW the tile design is symbolic of the local nature of their food approach; the square being the center and the arrows being the elements of the meal meeting together in the middle. The design motif is being used in other places; for instance it's being welded onto the front of the hand-fabricated ventilation hood that Larry built himself.

Thread Information