Widgets Magazine

Thread: Tulsa Shock moving to Dallas

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tulsa Shock moving to Dallas

Too bad Tulsa can't support it. Another failed pro sports team in Tulsa.

That's a shock.

I'm sure DFW is ecstatic about this move.

Is any WNBA team really successful?

I'm not happy about them leaving, but realistically it was inevitable. Just look at the attendance table at the bottom of their wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_...son_attendance

Tulsa never even came close to the numbers that Detroit got, and even if the Shock turned into a great team they would have been only scratching the bottom of Detroit's numbers. Becoming a great team seemed out of the question anyway since so many of the recruits flat out refused to move to Tulsa.

WNBA simply isn't popular. It takes a big metro to drum up enough patrons to make a team mildly successful. It feels like a kick in the nuts for Tulsa that we aren't "good" enough to support a major league team, but really it just wasn't a good fit.

Let's focus on supporting the Roughnecks, Oilers, and Drillers so we don't loose them too.

mac.jpg
    This is my shocked face

I don't understand on what basis the minority owners are suing... making a good business decision? Did the city give them a lot of money?

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    I'm sure DFW is ecstatic about this move.
    I bet 90% dont even know they are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Yeah, but 10% of DFW metro is more than the population of Tulsa proper.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Yeah, but 10% of DFW metro is more than the population of Tulsa proper.
    Yep, and there are nearly twice as many people in the DFW metroplex as there are in the entire state of Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I don't understand on what basis the minority owners are suing... making a good business decision? Did the city give them a lot of money?
    I had not heard anything about a lawsuit. If true my first guess is they are more likely to be locals to Tulsa where I think I had heard the majority owner might not have been. It is possible that what money they might make a with a WNBA team is not as important as having the team in the city to them, they could have felt slighted in how it was handled or had already been unhappy with the majority owner(s) before and this widen the rift. Which might lead them to sue over terms or procedural issues in an ownership agreement they they felt was violated.

I do feel for the owners, especially any local owners, the team they bought pretty much fell apart before the move was complete. The stats look like the early record was pretty bleak and even the last couple years while better are still rough numbers to keep a fan base excite let alone build one.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It has been on reported in the Dallas Morning News about this move plus I have seen it reported on the news. KXAS Channel 5 reported it! I would think an majority of people know about the move.

Blog Entries

Replace the word "know" with "care".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I had not heard anything about a lawsuit. If true my first guess is they are more likely to be locals to Tulsa where I think I had heard the majority owner might not have been. It is possible that what money they might make a with a WNBA team is not as important as having the team in the city to them, they could have felt slighted in how it was handled or had already been unhappy with the majority owner(s) before and this widen the rift. Which might lead them to sue over terms or procedural issues in an ownership agreement they they felt was violated.

I do feel for the owners, especially any local owners, the team they bought pretty much fell apart before the move was complete. The stats look like the early record was pretty bleak and even the last couple years while better are still rough numbers to keep a fan base excite let alone build one.
    Case Information - OSCN

Thread Information