• American football/soccer stadium 40,000-70,000 seats

16 24.62%
  • No sports stadium/entertainment venue for MAPS IV

29 44.62%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Oklahoma City (Multipurpose) Sports Stadium

Default Re: Oklahoma City (Multipurpose) Sports Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by twade View Post
    You seem to have a better pulse than most on these developments...what does this mean for the Energy? As a complete outsider to the game, is there any comparison between this situation and the Blazer/Barons? At first glance, it would seem that a better funded and league with a higher level of competition is seeking to complete/displace a team with good local support, but in a less-competitive league. How wrong am I here?
    I'm just going to say that I have very little interest in Soccer, but I have the same question.
    I read an article this morning that suggests this is completely different from the Energy, who I thought were in a competitive division and had pretty decent support (from what I read on here).

So… can someone please explain the differences between the Energy and this club, and what this announcement could or does mean for the Energy?

It seems like this is a pretty big deal. Am I wrong?

2. Default Re: Oklahoma City (Multipurpose) Sports Stadium

If I had to guess, they are buying this dormant franchise and probably going to move it somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    If I had to guess, they are buying this dormant franchise and probably going to move it somewhere else.
    I've heard from someone that OKC, with the backing of Rayo Vallecano, has been granted a team in NASL, and it will start play in Spring 2016. Now if this doesn't happen, I PROMISE I will buy nrg season tickets

Blog Entries

Latest printed information found (August 27, 2015):

There have been reports for the past few weeks that Oklahoma City FC may not be completely dead, as the potential expansion side had picked up some financial backing from La Liga side Rayo Vallecano. On Wednesday, Spanish paper Marca had some more details about the project, confirming that the side is hoping to join the North American Soccer League as early as next season, and isn't worried about the fact that there's already a USL side established in the city
    Rayo Vallecano backed club to remain in Oklahoma City, hopes to join NASL in 2016 - Twice a Cosmo

Nothing solid or set in stone:
    ...hopes to join NASL in 2016.

Oklahoma City FC co-owner Brad Lund spoke with Marca, and confirmed that there have been no plans to move the club's home, despite the presence of the Energy. He also added that "The goal is 2016", to begin play in the NASL.

...Regardless, it will be nice to see the NASL continue to develop more of a presence in the Midwest..

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    ...Regardless, it will be nice to see the NASL continue to develop more of a presence in the Midwest.:
    Then he should field a team in the Midwest

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    Then he should field a team in the Midwest
    Interesting, you have an eye for detail.

We're a long way from St. Louis...

It's funny how Oklahoma topography tends to fit the Southwest, West South Central, Midwest & the South for whatever agenda is being advanced.

Blog Entries

Hall of Fame Stadium's expanded capacity to host crowds of 13,000 once the 4,200 upper deck seats are added in 2018 or 2019.

Rusty Hilger's Field of Dreams stadium in Oklahoma City.

Incorporating Oklahoma City's districts: adventure, entertainment, riverfront; a vision into our future.

Final tally:

American football/soccer stadium 20,000-25,000 seats [30.77% - 20]
    American football/soccer stadium 40,000-70,000 seats [24.62% - 16]
    No sports stadium/entertainment venue for MAPS IV [44.62% - 29]

In all fairness, a more thorough survey should have included these alterations:

1st - by posting in on the Development & Building thread.
    2nd - should have had at least 4-5 choices (a major league baseball stadium & velodrome wasn't included).
    3rd - estimates of what part a MAPS IV venue/stadium would have cost for the bare minimum.
    4th - expand the choices selections by at least a minimum of two.

Got the feeling that many who responded to the thread wanted MAPS IV to address a specific interest like neighborhoods, transit or beautification.

Bricktown (Entertainment District) & the Oklahoma City Zoo (Adventure District) have really improved the 'quality of life' aspect in OKC.

MAPS, MAPS for HOOPS (Extension for Big League City), MAPS for KIDS and MAPS III (Convention center/central park) have all been a penny sales tax, along with the 1/8 cent permanent tax collected for the Zoo.

We need to remember that the success of MAPS have been a successful brand with voters when something was included for everyone. As to the centerpiece of a MAPS IV which should come up in 2017; just not sure if there will be a centerpiece. Can say that if we don't follow the previous MAPS format; have at least 7 or more projects on the ballot--we may see the end of MAPS.

There are suggestions of replacing the Chesapeake Energy Arena (downsize) to become a part of the convention center--conference hotel complex; with hints that we should build a new arena on the current Cox Convention Center (4 sq. block) site.

Maybe we should look at an OKCTalK MAPS IV development where we initially include a brainstorming session; decide the projects which should be included then allow an open vote on as many projects to include, tally and take it from there.

There's momentum for a state-wide penny sales tax to address education's short falls. There's also the county jail issues that need to be addressed.

Anyway thanks for all of you who participated in this thread, early sampling for what to do with the next survey; your participation was appreciated.

Thread Information