Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

1. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm sure that's not true about Seven47.

The Jones Assembly name is specific to the Film Row location; reference the assembly of Ford's at the old Fred Jones buildings.

And all of that is owned by the Hall family that has nothing to do with Seven47.
    Right, obviously there is similar ownership / management between the two with Bogert, but it still seemed surprising.

Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Social Order (Bogert) also owns the local Fuzzy's Franchises and some other things.

The thing that make Jones so appealing is the space itself and the history behind it.

4. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Totally agree, just passing on what she said. It's not completely unreasonable due to the related parties, but still would seem like a stretch.

I'm sure, whatever it is, they'll probably do well. 747 lasted at least 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Brother's lasted almost 25 years in that location.

How long did Kong's Tavern last?
    Longer than Skinny Slims. Lol

Seven47 is still active on social media and just posted they are hiring.

Exactly, and the point is, Campus Corner is a competitive market. And really the only night the students patronize those establishments is mass droves is on Thursday night.

As Joe, owner of Joe's Taverna, which was open 20 years, told me. "You're not gonna get rich owning a bar around here, and the biggest difference I have seen is my employees all work at than one bar/ restaurant. It wasn't like that when I first opened."

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Longer than Skinny Slims. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Exactly, and the point is, Campus Corner is a competitive market. And really the only night the students patronize those establishments is mass droves is on Thursday night.

As Joe, owner of Joe's Taverna, which was open 20 years, told me. "You're not gonna get rich owning a bar around here, and the biggest difference I have seen is my employees all work at than one bar/ restaurant. It wasn't like that when I first opened."
    Its weird because Kong’s was always packed every time I’ve been in Norman.

I'm sure that's not true about Seven47.

The Jones Assembly name is specific to the Film Row location; reference the assembly of Ford's at the old Fred Jones buildings.

And all of that is owned by the Hall family that has nothing to do with Seven47.
    I heard from the guys that own the Porch over a year ago that the Bogerts were considering rebranding Seven47, and some version of the Jones Assembly was what they’d heard. Didn’t make any sense to us for the same reasons you mention and the fact that it was still very popular. No clue if that’s what’s happening now, likely not if they’re still active on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Its weird because Kong’s was always packed every time I’ve been in Norman.
    They lost their mixed beverage license on July 27 for failure to document food sales. Apparently the drink sales were "too good".

Kong's in Norman closes after city suspends license | News | normantranscript.com
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nor...f3ab8.amp.html

12. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I heard from the guys that own the Porch over a year ago that the Bogerts were considering rebranding Seven47, and some version of the Jones Assembly was what they’d heard. Didn’t make any sense to us for the same reasons you mention and the fact that it was still very popular. No clue if that’s what’s happening now, likely not if they’re still active on social media.
    I'm sure that's how that rumor was spread. Should probably vet my 21 year old sorority girl gossip before I post it here.

I was just told by the Social Order (owner of Seven47 and Jones) that there is nothing to this Jones Assembly rebranding thing.

There will be a new menu and they have been working on a new logo, but they are still going strong and nothing major will change.

Rebranded Kong's in Norman still getting lots of police calls:

http://www.oudaily.com/news/new-camp...1d7b203ac.html

Rebranded Kong's in Norman still getting lots of police calls:

http://www.oudaily.com/news/new-camp...1d7b203ac.html
    And this group is opening a good sized concept on a prominent midtown corner. What could go wrong...

Racking up four times the number of police calls as LOGIE'S is honestly one of the most impressive stats I've ever seen lol

17. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

I remember when it was Brothers and it was a pretty average bar. Crowd seems to have gotten rough since Kong's took over. That is a pretty high amount of incidents compared to other bars on campus corner.

After the Kong's in Norman was closed by the city, they rebranded as 3rd Base.

Their phone is disconnected and there have been no social media updates since March.

Does anyone know if they have closed permanently?

Their phone is disconnected and there have been no social media updates since March.

No, it is still open

If I wasn't in WFH mode since march I would let you know.

Sad about Kong's as I went there quite often as a recent grad. It was always a good time but I will say as someone who works at OU, it was DEAD during the day and summer. At least the midtown location has people eating during the day. There were a number of problems with the Norman location though. It always had the longest lines on CC, in part due to the $10 handshakes to skip the line and get in, and people who bounce after 45 minutes of waiting. It attracted most of the OU football team when Logies was remodeling, which was a main attraction for students.

Life is all about evolving through your experiences. During this pandemic, the Kong’s team has become determined to learn from this experience and pivot toward a new direction. We believe we should place as much emphasis on food as we do our vibrant nightlife. To answer this revelation, Chef Ti and her talented staff have been dreaming up new and inventive ways to bring comfort Tex-Mex to our tables. The new combination of the newly inspired menu, Latin cocktails, look and nightlife we believe will be fresh contribution to Midtown. On August 21st we invite you to come and see the many changes we have made and introduce you to Kong’s Cantina and Grill!! We want to say it’s been an amazing four years so far and we can’t wait for you all to see the New Changes!!!

Kong's in Norman -- which was renmaed to 3rd Base after they were forced to close -- is now called Sideline Bar & Grill.

23. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Kong's in Norman -- which was renmaed to 3rd Base after they were forced to close -- is now called Sideline Bar & Grill.
    I predict by next year it will have another new name!

May need to change the name after a shooting.

https://www.koco.com/article/bouncer...c-bar/34348691

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    May need to change the name after a shooting.

https://www.koco.com/article/bouncer...c-bar/34348691
    Surprised it took this long.

Thread Information