Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You're not a fan of the crowd it attracts and people say the same, yet it's the service that upsets you? That doesn't quite add up to me - is it the crowd it attracts or the service or both?
    Mostly the service. Terrible when I was there, to me and my party. And a handful of people who I've talked to have said the exact same thing, problems with service. Getting ignored or taking forever to get served were the issues.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Mostly the service. Terrible when I was there, to me and my party. And a handful of people who I've talked to have said the exact same thing, problems with service. Getting ignored or taking forever to get served were the issues.
    Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like they have some work to do.

Was dragged here the other night for the 3rd time. I'm friendly with the owners, but they are on a whole different speed than I am, and so are the majority of folks who frequent their bar. Much like other comments I've read, I'm not their target audience, so it's hard to complain. I actually am happy that Kongs has been so successful because it pulls the "party people" out of the calmer bars that I choose to frequent.

Someone asked me where to watch the fight on Saturday night, and I recalled Kong's being mentioned as a place that in the recent past hosted a watch party atmosphere for one of those fights.. Other place I heard was BWW, but I avoid that place, ha.

Any info on this place or other venues for a few casual fans to take in the event is appreciated!

Probably Dave & Busters. They had May vs Pac.

FlashBack has the fight tonight.

Pink Parrot and Club One 15 are both showing the fight.

Movie theatre in Norman is showing it. Possibly a Regal in OKC?

We looked at it. They are charging $30 per person based on capacity plus $700 set up fee. It was going to be $3400 for our place so we opted out. I saw that Hooters has the fight. Reserve your seat for $30 in advance or $50 at the door.

Ice Event Center will have the fight and its $10 entry

I think the BWWs in town are charging $10

12. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Kong's mostly gets mixed to negative reviews on Facebook and Yelp. Seems like a good ol' boy network of sorts and it's for the rich millennial hipsters and from the comments the staff are rude to non regulars. This place would be the perfect hangout for Utah Jazz fans since they're disrespectful jerks.

That reach was so far left my arm fell off. Although it's funny to imagine that jazz fans frequent an OK local establishment in the first place

14. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

they probably couldn't afford it in the first place. lol
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I remember reading some recent posts about Kongs here, but cannot find what thread it was in. But they officially announced Norman location is not re-opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I remember reading some recent posts about Kongs here, but cannot find what thread it was in. But they officially announced Norman location is not re-opening.
    It's being reopened as 3rd Base and is already hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's being reopened as 3rd Base and is already hiring.
    What a weird name, hey let's go to "3rd Base!"

3rd Base is the name of a bar Shyon Keoppel is trying to open in Los Angeles.

Brother's lasted almost 25 years in that location.

How long did Kong's Tavern last?

20. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Brother's lasted almost 25 years in that location.

How long did Kong's Tavern last?
    Not terribly long but Campus Corner has changed a lot with higher rent. I feel like a lot of the cool places that would have been on Campus Corner are now choosing to go in on Main Street downtown.

Well anytime a bar has to do a complete rebrand, they have failed. They knew how high the rent was when they signed the lease. Apparently they had no idea how dead Norman is in the summer.

Logans (which is from Austin) has been open on Campus Corner at least a decade. Look at Louies, 747, O'Connells (which took over the Al Eshbach space). Old standbys like The Deli and Suger's are still going strong.

Anybody remember Eve Posh lounge? The exact same crowd, lasted just a few months, never paid one month's rent and stole all of the fixtures when they moved out in the middle of the night.

I think the problem is, these guys aren't from Norman, have never attended OU, never worked on Campus Corner, and they are trying to compete with people who have a lot more experience. Not to mention, those owners on Campus Corner are a pretty tight knit group. They're not about to let some millennial with no experience go in there and disrupt things. Jeff Stewart is still the first guy to arrive at O'Connells everyday and the last to leave, and he's probably been in business longer than Shyon has been alive.

22. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

My sister who attends OU said that Seven47 closed recently and is going to be converted to a Jones Assembly. Any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    My sister who attends OU said that Seven47 closed recently and is going to be converted to a Jones Assembly. Any truth to that?
    i hope not... that makes about as much sense as bricktown brewery in shawnee.

Ditto!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i hope not... that makes about as much sense as bricktown brewery in shawnee.

I'm sure that's not true about Seven47.

The Jones Assembly name is specific to the Film Row location; reference the assembly of Ford's at the old Fred Jones buildings.

And all of that is owned by the Hall family that has nothing to do with Seven47.

Thread Information