Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Walked in and right back out this weekend. First, the kitchen closes at 10pm. That was our main reason for leaving. Secondly, a little too much of a club-like atmosphere than my group was wanting.

But I guess its better than the ghost town that was Gigglez.

^

It's much more laid back during the day and early evening.

Blog Entries

I've been surprised by the crowds there, even late Sunday night....

No happy hour which is disappointing, however, they do have a "Kong's Brew" draft (red ale) and a "grab bag" bottle option for $3 each so it might as well have been happy hour compared to other beer prices in midtown.
    Was hesitant to eat there after the packed "club" feel of Saint Paddy's day but food was surprisingly good, I got the Korean short rib "Bombrito" and it was awesome- I've never had an asian-fusion burrito before.

Their kimchi fries are very good as well.

They are having their official grand opening tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    No happy hour which is disappointing, however, they do have a "Kong's Brew" draft (red ale) and a "grab bag" bottle option for $3 each so it might as well have been happy hour compared to other beer prices in midtown.
    Was hesitant to eat there after the packed "club" feel of Saint Paddy's day but food was surprisingly good, I got the Korean short rib "Bombrito" and it was awesome- I've never had an asian-fusion burrito before.
    I found it pretty good as well. Kind of irked that with the texture/consistency of the meat it fell out in one bite for me though =(

I walked by there last night and at 9PM on a Tuesday they were quite busy.

Complete turnaround from when it was Gigglez.

Blog Entries

I go by there most nights and, except when they're closed, it's been kind of ridiculous around there. I mean, people parallel parking on Walker from just south of their lot down to 9th, which NEVER happened before...

This place is like a little slice of bricktown in midtown, which really isnt a good thing. Went back after first attempt and it was a madhouse. Couldnt even order a drink without waiting 10 mins at the bar. On top of that, the bar staff lost a member of our party's credit card. The place gave me the douche chills, and that doesnt help when the service is already terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    This place is like a little slice of bricktown in midtown, which really isnt a good thing. Went back after first attempt and it was a madhouse. Couldnt even order a drink without waiting 10 mins at the bar. On top of that, the bar staff lost a member of our party's credit card. The place gave me the douche chills, and that doesnt help when the service is already terrible.
    Ugh. They lost a member of our party's credit card on st. Patrick's day. Then told that person they couldn't be served a drink because they couldn't pay...right...pay with what?

I haven't been back but I'm glad to hear it's busy?

Slice of Bricktown in Midtown is a perfect way to put it, though I would add that with Fassler+Kong's it is becoming a relatively large slice (New York style slice?).

Honestly, I need to give Bricktown another chance. Aside from the occasional bike-bar, I haven't gone out in Bricktown at night since a group of my friends was randomly assaulted several years ago (we were leaving Skyy Bar if that is an indication of timeline). My friends took the elevator while I was in the bathroom so I had to catch the next lift down, by the time I got down it two of my friends were laying on the ground (one with a broken nose) and the other was helping his girlfriend who had been shoved into a brick pillar. We contacted the police who informed us we had likely been the victim of the "knockout game"?
    I've managed to steer clear of the area since then but feel like it probably deserves another shot.

Blog Entries

I need to back off my previous statement slightly. I went to Kong's last night to watch the thunder game. Was not super crowded during the game so I ate and watched the game in peace. However, by the end of the game it was completely packed and there were cars parallel parked on Walker. Also they were getting ready to start karaoke, they were doing tests on the mic. I'm glad I got out of there as soon as the game was over.

Blog Entries

Also the addition of the west side garage door is a nice addition for decent weather nights.

I've gone once to Kong's and probably won't go back because of the target audience. That's not a knock against Kong's, which clearly had a lot of thought and effort put into it. I personally just don't like hanging out with the former crowd of Rok Bar. But everyone has their own preferences of course!

Blog Entries

Am I the only one that giggled because King won't hang out at Kong's? Probably.... :-P

^^^^haha

Possible expansion to Norman?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Possible expansion to Norman?
    Did you see something that led you to ask this?

19. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

I was there Friday night and the owner got on the mic and said they were opening up on Campus Corner.

HangryHippo Guest

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder where? Maybe the recently closed CVS or maybe the Mexican restaurant that closed? Chimys I think it was?

The old Brother's space.

Hopefully relocating rather than expanding. Not much a fan of this place and the crowd it attracts, and literally everyone I talk to about this place says the same. Mostly complaints about service being awful.

This will be Kong's #2.

Hopefully relocating rather than expanding. Not much a fan of this place and the crowd it attracts, and literally everyone I talk to about this place says the same. Mostly complaints about service being awful.
    I don't visit this place for the reasons mentioned, but it does attract a lot of people. Therefore; I highly doubt they will be relocating.

HangryHippo Guest

You're not a fan of the crowd it attracts and people say the same, yet it's the service that upsets you? That doesn't quite add up to me - is it the crowd it attracts or the service or both?

Thread Information