Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Default Re: Gigglez Bar and Grill

What kind of "games" exactly? Would love to see a shuffleboard table.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    What kind of "games" exactly? Would love to see a shuffleboard table.
    I believe more interactive games. They have skeet ball, basketball, and a few others already.

2Lanez Guest

Kong's Tavern? This place is cursed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lanez View Post
    Kong's Tavern? This place is cursed.
    They've already seen a huge increase in business just by the new owners promoting through social media.

I would be shocked if this wasn't a big success.

Yeah it was packed when I went and I didn't stick around for GS/OKC. I was there an hour before the game and people were there for NCAA basketball.

2Lanez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They've already seen a huge increase in business just by the new owners promoting through social media.

I would be shocked if this wasn't a big success.
    Sarcasm, mostly. Not knocking the food, I trust it's good. Still not a fan of the name. An upgrade from Gigglez, but then again, anything is.

Sounds like a cool idea, hope they do well, but not my kind of place (not a sports bar guy), so I selfishly hope Chef Vuong gets this place going and then goes back to a Bonjour/Melange type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Sounds like a cool idea, hope they do well, but not my kind of place (not a sports bar guy), so I selfishly hope Chef Vuong gets this place going and then goes back to a Bonjour/Melange type of thing.
    I meant to mention this in the other thread but it looks like Melange is dead dead. Shouldn't have to be a sports guy to like street food though.

FWIW I was also told that after Kongs they're re-doing the menu at La Brasa.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I meant to mention this in the other thread but it looks like Melange is dead dead. Shouldn't have to be a sports guy to like street food though.

FWIW I was also told that after Kongs they're re-doing the menu at La Brasa.
    Yeah, I figured Melange was dead, just hoping he gets his own place to do his thing again instead of just being a hired gun, that's what I meant.

I just don't go for the whole sports bar ambiance/environment, we generally don't go out to bars anyway, just restaurants. Thx for the info about La Brasa, that's on our list, but we'll probably wait 'til they get done before going now.

Thx for the info about La Brasa, that's on our list, but we'll probably wait 'til they get done before going now.
    I would go hit them up now, no need to wait. Their food is already excellent. I'm sure Chef Vuong being involved will help, but it's easily one of our top 5 restaurants in OKC. Miso glazed Chilean sea bass is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I would go hit them up now, no need to wait. Their food is already excellent. I'm sure Chef Vuong being involved will help, but it's easily one of our top 5 restaurants in OKC. Miso glazed Chilean sea bass is amazing!
    Yeah, I've heard great things about them, but we're doing Sushi Neko this weekend for a late V-day celebration, so we can't go this weekend, and since we have about 50 other restaurants on our "need-to-try" list, not sure where La Brasa falls in priority (we only eat out about once a week).

Yeah, I've heard great things about them, but we're doing Sushi Neko this weekend for a late V-day celebration, so we can't go this weekend, and since we have about 50 other restaurants on our "need-to-try" list, not sure where La Brasa falls in priority (we only eat out about once a week).
    If you have that list somewhere online I'd love to see it. I like going to new restaurants.

Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

8' gorilla now on the patio:

They had a soft opening last night ahead of this weekend's opening.

This photo is of the space to the east, which they have opened up to the bar area to the west. Removing that wall makes a big difference.

I wasn't able to go and sample the food and drinks but have heard good things.

Stopped by this afternoon. Met James and had a laugh about how many people asked if I knew him. Ordered the burger and one of their alcoholic shakes. Everything was pretty good. Will probably make my weekly rotation. Had a talk with Vuong too, and he mentioned something maybe in the works for himself as he'll be there for about another 2 weeks or so.

Their roasted chicken isn't available, but if you've had the chicken at La Brasa then you've had it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170316_131238.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	4.08 MB 
ID:	13683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170316_131728.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	13684

^

I was there too this afternoon... Wonder if we crossed paths and didn't know it.

*Very* different vibe than Gigglez. Lots more energy.

Ho-lee cow.

Went to Kong's yesterday around 4 just as things were starting to ramp up. They had a big stage in the parking lot to the south and then fences all around to control people coming in there and the restaurant and patio.

They also had a DJ inside. And I counted 6 bars.

When I left around 10PM there was a massive line to get in. And literally thousands and thousands of people there and at McNellies. I'm sure Fassler and Bleu Garten were crazy as well.

There had to be over 10,000 people down there last night.

And God Bless OKC. Despite the crowds people were super friendly and cool. Had just an awesome time and I'm sure those places all made tons of money.

Bricktown was lively as well. I think half the state was out last night since the weather was nice.

I went here and all the other Midtown venues on Friday and it was a blast!

The porta-potties @ Kongs were genius. $10 cover to get in and get good service and nice band performance was well worth it.

I assume Fassler and Bleu Garten were also packed?

Those 2 plus McNellie's street thing had to account for over 5,000 people alone.

Bleu was packed to the brim. It was 21+ with bagcheck. So they were even limiting the number of people and by 1am, the place was shoulder to shoulder. I think all the trucks sold out real early.

Fassler was crowded, and most people there were spillover from Kongs and Mcnellie's block parties. Seemed a lot of people didn't want to pay the cover charges, so they went to Bleu and Fassler.

22. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I assume Fassler and Bleu Garten were also packed?

Those 2 plus McNellie's street thing had to account for over 5,000 people alone.
    I wasn't there, but my friends said Bleu Garten had a 20+ minute wait for beer at the middle bar and seemed to be really understaffed. I know they were super packed, but they had that problem earliest this year it would seem like the easiest problem to fix would be to overstaff and have numerous bars to sell beer as fast as possible.

I was there as well. More staff would have helped but their is only so fast you can serve that many people. Getting drinks at their main bar the staff worked really quick but the time to have multiple people order and then pay on their systems while they make the drinks can only go so fast. A problem I noticed is they had 4 stations at the main bar( like normal I believe.) but their were at least 6 lines because people weren't paying attention or would step to the side and people would just follow and it would snowball from their. I know my line kept having to let people who were in no man lands alternate in to order and it just made things go even slower.
    But all is all it was a lively crowd with it absolutely packed. It just shows how much money to be made and demand their is if you can run a decent set up. The area is thriving and will only continue to get better when the streetcar goes in.

Got a chance to check this place out this past weekend. Had a great time! It was pretty packed, but the place is huge so didn't feel like i was crowded. Didn't try any food (not sure if they're serving yet). My only gripe is that there wasn't any glassware. I'm too old to be drinking vodka out of a plastic cup.

25. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

I went last weekend as well. There was a good sized crowd and pretty diverse. I had a short rib taco and it was really good. We were there during some of the March Madness games and I think it would be a good place to come back to watch a game.

Thread Information