Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Default Re: Gigglez Bar and Grill

Gigglez has been sold to James Vu (La Brasa) and Shyon Keoppel.

They will ultimately transform to a new concept but for now are operating with small changes and looking for feedback.

I've seen the preliminary plans and it looks very cool.

From James Vu's FB page:

"After many years of trying to collaborate, patience paid off. Both of us love to create new things. We are always looking at what we are currently doing and building on that. That's why it made sense for us to buy Gigglez. Gigglez will remain open for a short period of time and then it will close so we can bring you a brand new concept! We are excited to be a part of the OKC Midtown District community! So please leave your input below as we all come together to bring you the best food and beverage service possible! We have so much planned and can't wait to share it with our new midtown family! The acquisition will take place next Weekend. Please help us share this good news!!!!!"

No surprise there. It had zero identity and a weird name.

The food was always good though. I hope they keep the wings.

Blog Entries

I met someone recently who moved here last summer and said this was their favorite place in OKC. I know a few other regulars who swear by it. It was just starting to find its niche with its clientele it seems, so I wish they would leave everything alone except the naming/branding (for a good while). But that's unlikely so it's effectively gone and won't resemble itself in the end, which is potentially bad for that space. It's had a tough enough time keeping a stable tenant. If people can't come to rely on that space having something good/worth their attention they're just never going to think about it, no matter what is there, short of something "world class" probably. Perhaps that will happen here but we'll see I guess.

^

I believe that is why James is being careful not just to shut it down and start tearing it apart.

But he has to implement his own vision and he has a lot of great ideas.

I really think this will end up being a success and the best thing for everyone involved, including the landlord and the current proprietors of Gigglez.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Gigglez has been sold to James Vu (La Brasa) and Shyon Keoppel.

They will ultimately transform to a new concept but for now are operating with small changes and looking for feedback.

I've seen the preliminary plans and it looks very cool.

From James Vu's FB page:

"After many years of trying to collaborate, patience paid off. Both of us love to create new things. We are always looking at what we are currently doing and building on that. That's why it made sense for us to buy Gigglez. Gigglez will remain open for a short period of time and then it will close so we can bring you a brand new concept! We are excited to be a part of the OKC Midtown District community! So please leave your input below as we all come together to bring you the best food and beverage service possible! We have so much planned and can't wait to share it with our new midtown family! The acquisition will take place next Weekend. Please help us share this good news!!!!!"
    I could see a name change and some minor tweaks, but based on the experiences' of others, does it really need to be an entirely brand new concept?

Also, who did they buy Gigglez from?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I met someone recently who moved here last summer and said this was their favorite place in OKC. I know a few other regulars who swear by it. It was just starting to find its niche with its clientele it seems, so I wish they would leave everything alone except the naming/branding (for a good while). But that's unlikely so it's effectively gone and won't resemble itself in the end, which is potentially bad for that space. It's had a tough enough time keeping a stable tenant. If people can't come to rely on that space having something good/worth their attention they're just never going to think about it, no matter what is there, short of something "world class" probably. Perhaps that will happen here but we'll see I guess.
    I liked the place and food when I stopped in, but I felt like it lacked an identity that went beyond the naming issues.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I could see a name change and some minor tweaks, but based on the experiences' of others, does it really need to be an entirely brand new concept?

Also, who did they buy Gigglez from?
    The guy that owned it was named Marty, and his wife. Didn't look at their website today, but it has an about us section with names.

New menu starting today. Complete re-branding should be announced soon:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    New menu starting today. Complete re-branding should be announced soon:

So much easier to read without all the Zs

I wish they would have kept the Buttery Buffalo sauce for their wings.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    So much EZr to read without all the Zs
    Sorry you had a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Sorry you had a typo.

Just left Shyon and James at Gigglez.. They have already began updating all the A/V and backbar and are moving new furniture and fixtures in. Vuong Nguyen formerly of Bonjour and Gurnsey is running the kitchen so the food will be great. Im excited about the new concept.

Quote Originally Posted by JarrodH View Post
    Just left Shyon and James at Gigglez.. They have already began updating all the A/V and backbar and are moving new furniture and fixtures in. Vuong Nguyen formerly of Bonjour and Gurnsey is running the kitchen so the food will be great. Im excited about the new concept.
    GTK about Vuong in the kitchen, he set them up originally, I believe, and I guess he's got time before Melange is ready to open. Menu doesn't really make me want to visit there, though, seems pretty standard, but with him behind it, it'll probably be pretty tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    GTK about Vuong in the kitchen, he set them up originally, I believe, and I guess he's got time before Melange is ready to open. Menu doesn't really make me want to visit there, though, seems pretty standard, but with him behind it, it'll probably be pretty tasty.
    This. The menu doesn't excite, but with Vuong there I'll support. Silly names or not the old menu looked better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    This. The menu doesn't excite, but with Vuong there I'll support. Silly names or not the old menu looked better to me.
    Since Pete said that a complete rebranding is coming soon but that they didn't want to completely close down while doing it... I'm assuming the basic menu is temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Since Pete said that a complete rebranding is coming soon but that they didn't want to completely close down while doing it... I'm assuming the basic menu is temporary.
    I believe that is true.

Went to Gigglez last night. Had a chat with Vuong, Melange is dead since the area it was supposed to be in is still not up. I think he mentioned street food? Menu is temporary. Had the spicy turkey sandwich, and it wasn't bad. Nachos looked like good value too. Currently also open for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Went to Gigglez last night. Had a chat with Vuong, Melange is dead since the area it was supposed to be in is still not up. I think he mentioned street food? Menu is temporary. Had the spicy turkey sandwich, and it wasn't bad. Nachos looked like good value too. Currently also open for lunch.
    Well, that sucks about Melange, but he'll probably land on his feet, dude's talented. Hope he lets everybody know what he's doing with some kind of update somewhere, we're missing his breakfasts...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Well, that sucks about Melange, but he'll probably land on his feet, dude's talented. Hope he lets everybody know what he's doing with some kind of update somewhere, we're missing his breakfasts...
    For sure, with him and James teaming up the Gigglez rebrand will probably be a hit.

James Vu of La Brasa and his investment / development partner Shyon Keoppel have announced plans to remake the current Giggelz space in Midtown as Kong's Tavern.

Kong's will be a sports bar featuring games, quality food, a full bar and a DJ on the weekends in the large space directly east of Saint Anthony Hospital at 1016 N. Walker.

Vu & Keoppel recently announced they were taking over the space and bringing Chef Vuong Nguyen who provided a temporary menu with the new owners continued to operate as Gigglez in the short-term.

Chef Vuong is formerly of Guernsey Park and Bonjour and will be collaborating with Vu on the menu. Vu said of the food, “There will be Kong's craft milkshakes, street food gastronomy vs. freestyle culinary. Just two guys being creative and having lots of fun.”

Giggelz is operating for now but will close the first or second week of March then the grand-reopening will be St. Patrick's Day with a 3-day party feature live music and a DJ.

The space is in the process of being fully updated with a large video wall, lots of TV's, games and a DJ booth above the bar.

RBA of Oklahoma City is doing the interior and Larry Pickering is designing the patio on the west side of the space which will be partially covered with ample lounge furniture.

Kong's signature will be an 8' gorilla statue facing Walker.

Open every day 11-2, Sunday brunch.

Sounds like a solid Rebrand. The location is great and Gigglez just made people think Comedy club not bar and Grill. this should do very well.

I've always liked the space and really enjoy Gigglez for the most part, but it always needed an experienced hand and a solid identity.

Also, the patio was always underutilized but that will change in a big way and create life on the street and help draw people in.

Should be one of the better sports bars around and you can bet the food will be good and interesting.

And they're bringing in a statue of the legendary HARAMBE!!!!

This is going to become a "spot" even moreso. The branding looks very cool.

Thread Information