Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    May need to change the name after a shooting.

https://www.koco.com/article/bouncer...c-bar/34348691
    "Is it safe to go back and get my beer?" a person asked 911.

"No," a dispatcher responded.
    I hope it was at least a Prairie Bomb and not a Miller Light. lol

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    May need to change the name after a shooting.

https://www.koco.com/article/bouncer...c-bar/34348691
    Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I hope it was at least a Prairie Bomb and not a Miller Light. lol
    That guy killed me. lol

Saw this on reddit thought I'd share.

https://www.reddit.com/r/okc/comment...eb2x&context=3

^^ If toxic masculinity was a bar, it would be Kongs.

That being said, I feel like there's a lot more to the story than bouncers at a bar just randomly assaulting innocent women minding their own businesses.

Kong’s and Sunset have really brought down that part of Midtown. Except for Commonplace, I rarely go to Midtown anymore and it used to be a mainstay (though, honestly, that could be just because I’m getting older). It’s almost as if the old Rok Bar crowd from Bricktown moved there. I believe I mentioned this elsewhere, but a prominent business real estate professional who works largely in Midtown told me that a ton of the Midtown business owners have expressed extreme anger with the owners of Kong’s and Sunset because of the perceived deterioration to the “culture” of the area due to those establishments.

I don't have a side here -- I've never been to Kongs nor plan to, but there has to be more to the story here rather than just an assault by a bouncer. However stranger things have happened.

I am told the owner of both Sunset and Kong's is a guy named James Vu. Apparently there was gunfire at Sunset a couple of weeks ago, also. Anyone know much about Mr. Vu?

I stopped going to the establishments owned by James and his friend Shyon Keoppel when I found out about several different racist allegations. One being that they didn't like the club photographers taking pictures of black people because they thought it would make their business look bad. Those guys are both messed up individuals. There's plenty more things.

When I drove for Uber in OKC I always dreaded picking up at Kong’s in OKC and Norman. Always very intoxicated, rowdy customers who would be late for pickup, wanted to change drop off locations mid-ride, or would complain the whole way. A lot of hassle and you could be guaranteed no tip and a bad rating no matter how much you politely tolerated the riders. No surprise reading about the crowd it is continuing to bring.

It should also be noted that before Sunset opened, there were numerous reported incidents at Fassler Hall as well. I haven't heard as much lately about that place.

11. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

There was gunfire at Kong's late Friday night/early this morning, per Channel 4.

https://kfor.com/news/local/gunfire-...on-nearly-hit/

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    There was gunfire at Kong's late Friday night/early this morning, per Channel 4.

https://kfor.com/news/local/gunfire-...on-nearly-hit/
    Good to know they are right next to the SSM Emergency Room... that is without available beds.

This might be a stupid question, so pardon my ignorance: is there a point where the city can come in and shut the doors of a restaurant/bar if there are consistent issues?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    This might be a stupid question, so pardon my ignorance: is there a point where the city can come in and shut the doors of a restaurant/bar if there are consistent issues?
    OKC can do what Norman did to Kongs of Norman. If they are in violation of their liquor license as far as not serving more than 50% of their receipts in food they get shuttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    OKC can do what Norman did to Kongs of Norman. If they are in violation of their liquor license as far as not serving more than 50% of their receipts in food they get shuttered.
    I don't believe that is a city inspection (it would be able) ..... and any city should be very very leery of doing that ... because lots and lots of restaurants are in violation of that

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I don't believe that is a city inspection (it would be able) ..... and any city should be very very leery of doing that ... because lots and lots of restaurants are in violation of that
    But in fact the City of Norman did. As far as other places I imagine it is inspector discretion. But I stand corrected on the %. It's 35%.

Kong's in Norman closes after city suspends license | News | normantranscript.com
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nor...f3ab8.amp.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    But in fact the City of Norman did. As far as other places I imagine it is inspector discretion. But I stand corrected on the %. It's 35%.

Kong's in Norman closes after city suspends license | News | normantranscript.com
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nor...f3ab8.amp.html
    that article lists 35 percent food sales to be a restaurant .. so i wonder if that is a separate Norman requirement .. ?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    that article lists 35 percent food sales to be a restaurant .. so i wonder if that is a separate Norman requirement .. ?
    I think it's specific to Campus Corner.

The 50% requirement is enforced by ABLE.

A Facebook friend posted there was another shooting at Kong's last night. Is this the same incident or another one?

KOCO tonight reported a shootout involving a passing car, a pedestrian, and a club security guard outside Sunset Patio Bar. It seems like gunplay is becoming a regular occurrence at Sunset and / or Kong's

Ugh. I just feel bad for the rest of the Midtown business owners. While I'm sure they're still doing fine, I'm sure (and have heard this from a couple of them) Kong's and Sunset are very frustrating to the them. While part of it is probably due to getting older, we have done a complete 180* from going to Midtown more than any other area to barely going there at all over the last few years due to the changing of the "vibe" and I doubt we're the only ones.

The owner is not a bad guy. I've met him. But for some reason, the clientele who go to these bars are the worst of people. It's so dumb. Not sure what it is. He is a good guy who runs successful bars. It's hard to just turn people away, in this day and age. Word travels fast. But also, these are usually outside the bar, where it isn't the bars fault. Hard to fully blame them when a passing car is involved. I just don't see how the owner is getting shamed.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    The owner is not a bad guy. I've met him. But for some reason, the clientele who go to these bars are the worst of people. It's so dumb. Not sure what it is. He is a good guy who runs successful bars. It's hard to just turn people away, in this day and age. Word travels fast. But also, these are usually outside the bar, where it isn't the bars fault. Hard to fully blame them when a passing car is involved. I just don't see how the owner is getting shamed.
    Because multiple shootings have happened in and directly outside his establishments? Pretty fair criticism imo.

Keep in mind, the owners of these places pay promoters to go out and recruit patrons.

This is especially common in Midtown and Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Keep in mind, the owners of these places pay promoters to go out and recruit patrons.

This is especially common in Midtown and Bricktown.
    Right. Bars don't get a luck of the draw crowd. They actively cultivate who their clientele is. It's no coincidence that the bars in question draw the clientele they do.

Thread Information