Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nordstrom's to Tulsa?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nordstrom's to Tulsa?

I don't disagree, but there's already a 17 story condo building on the east side of Utica and a 10 story condo building on the south side.

Personally, I think it should be a hotel tower above retail.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    I feel like what Classen Curve and The Triangle is right now is the "answer". The Glimcher addition will make it much better.
    I disagree. If the Glimcher development happens though, it will be.

Oklahoma City really needs an upscale shopping district. Right now, Utica Square is the premier shopping center in the state but I think Glimcher (which includes Classen Curve and Nichols Hills Plaza) could be much better if developed to potential. Hopefully the NIMBY opposition fails and they are able to move forward with it.

Blog Entries

The building that housed Miss Jackson's and Petty's is down.

It was just November that Utica Square said they had no plans to push out Miss Jackson's or Petty's and now both are gone along with the building they were in. For "no plans" in November they are moving very fast. Utica now says they are close to announcing plans for a new building.

“We are pleased to announce the redevelopment of a cornerstone location in Utica Square. We are finalizing our design for a new building and will release further details in a timely fashion,” said Jessica Barr, property manager at Utica Square in a statement earlier this month.
    In an interview with the World earlier this month, Barr said that, following demolition, construction would not begin on the new building “until we sign leases.”
    She didn’t offer a timeline for when the building will be built, how many tenants it would accommodate, or how close it would be in size to the current 50,000-square-foot building.
    “It (the building) had just outlived its useful life,” Barr said. “It’s an exciting time for Utica Square.”
    Former Miss Jackson's, Petty's building at Utica Square demolished - Tulsa World: Local

Perhaps Container Store or Crate & Barrel?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Perhaps Container Store or Crate & Barrel?
    My real guess would be that you are correct and it's both. And there's still the real rumor out there that Fresh Market will build on a current parking area in the back corner of Utica.

It would be really nice if it was REI and we end the idea of a strip mall in middle of Riverparks.

That area wouldn't be big enough for both.

I know both have been looking in OKC, that's why I mentioned them.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I disagree. If the Glimcher development happens though, it will be.

Oklahoma City really needs an upscale shopping district. Right now, Utica Square is the premier shopping center in the state but I think Glimcher (which includes Classen Curve and Nichols Hills Plaza) could be much better if developed to potential. Hopefully the NIMBY opposition fails and they are able to move forward with it.
    I don't agree with that, Penn Square tops Utica Square. It has most of the stores that Utica Square has and has a ton that Utica Square doesn't, and several of those that aren't at Penn Square are right there at Classen Curve.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    I don't agree with that, Penn Square tops Utica Square. It has most of the stores that Utica Square has and has a ton that Utica Square doesn't, and several of those that aren't at Penn Square are right there at Classen Curve.
    Utica Square isn't going to come out on top when you look at quantity. It is the quality/mix of stores that really set it apart. And the atmosphere. It's not "in the grid" but it still functions like it as you often have to cross the street and such.

It also does have some truly unique stores for the state. Saks most notably. Some of the higher end stores that have been in Utica for some time are now starting to find there way into the malls now too, making it seem less distinguished.

In response to the Penn Square comparison all I will say is this. Would you rather grab your Starbucks here:

Utica Square - Starbucks.JPG

or here?

Penn Square Mall - Starbucks.JPG

This is why it is often considered the premier shopping area in the state. Glimcher may surpass it. Classen Curve will never. It will come down to management in my opinion. I think the layout of Glimcher will allow it to compete directly. But there is much more to it than that. The Helmerich family is pretty committed to making Utica a truly unique place, and to date have done a pretty phenomenal job. I can't think of anything that has been really considered a mis-step prior to the non-renewal of a couple of leases lately, in order to tear down the building. However, I will say that department stores are a dying bread and the grocery store always seemed a bit out of place. In the end I believe whatever replaces them will likely be an improvement, or at least compliment the existing lineup better.

Thread Information