Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chae

Uptown/23rd Chae

Chae, a Korean/American fusion restaurant and bar concept, is coming to the old Rehearsals space adjacent to the Oklahoma City University campus at 1933 NW 23rd.

The building was recently bought from OCU by Daniel Chae who will soon start a remodel with a planned opening of this fall.

The converted home at the northeast corner of NW 23rd and Virginia was owned by the university for a number of years and was formerly the BLUEtique.

After a major renovation and addition of a large patio facing 23rd Street, Rehearsals Grill opened in January 2014 but closed in May that same year and has since remained shuttered.

Daniel Chae also owns and operates All About Cha Coffee and Tea House at 7300 N. Western in Nichols Hills.

Chae's plans for his namesake restaurant include a menu developed by Kevin Lee of Vast and executed by chef Taylor Desjarlais, the most recent graduate of the Coach House Apprentice Program.

The table-service restaurant will offer a full bar and feature menu items at a medium price-point.

Hours are projected ot be 11AM to 11PM Sunday through Thursday and staying open until 2AM on Friday and Saturday.

Work on the restaurant is expected to start soon.

2. Default Re: Chae

Wow... That's going to give us two Korean options on 23rd street soon.... I'm guessing Daebak K is still going to happen

Default Re: Chae

Yes, Daebak K is still going to happen but I believe their menu will be slanted more towards Korean BBQ.

But with Chae, Daebak K and Guernsey Park all on 23rd, that's going to be 3 great Asian fusion options.

This could be great. That's an impressive group involved.

Blog Entries

Sounds cool. Hope it works, it's a nice space and spot.

Oh Em Gee.. Yessssss.... I am super excited about this.

I hope they make a mean Bibimbap!

This place is getting close:

Chae is now open. I was lucky enough to be able to attend one of the private dinners they held before opening, and the food was fantastic. The wife and I will be heading there tonight for dinner.

Can't wait to try it.

And Daniel Chae is a heck of a nice guy. Bet this is a big success.

10. Default Re: Chae

Ate there last night. It was freaking AWESOME! a big thumbs up. Great service. Great food. If I had to knit pick I'd prefer decor on the walls vs the clean look, but that's just my style. But it does make the colorful and beautifully presented food really pop.

Danny if you can read this, I highly recommend you put some entrance+arrow signs up. We were a little confused with all the ramps and patio entrances. We saw another party get lost on our way out too. It's not a hazard or anything, just a thought.

Slam dunk on the meal, I'll be here a lot.
    Last edited by IanMcDermid; 10-17-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: I can't spell...

Excellent find. This place will be an enduring hit in OKC. Quick hits: nice menu variety with a lot of scrumptious small plates. Incredibly intimate but energized atmosphere; comfortably chic (sorry, Ian, I disagree about the lack of decor on the walls. It added to the experience in our opinion.) The service we had was prompt, friendly and unpretentious.

I'm not an expert on Korean food but my brood loved this joint and we will be regulars.

Holy moly - I know pictures always look good - but this looks like yet another one of those "is this really OKC" type of places. Just curious do they have a good number of vegetarian options? Unfortunately for us that'll determine whether we just try it out or become regulars.

13. Default Re: Chae

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	11647

This looks awesome

15. Default Re: Chae

New signage:

Name:	12045402_175459729460813_7906877188757008003_o.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	319.0 KB 
ID:	11663

16. Default Re: Chae

Nice!

Also, expecting comments about how dangerous and terrible the wiring looks in 3.....2.....

17. Default Re: Chae

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Nice!

Also, expecting comments about how dangerous and terrible the wiring looks in 3.....2.....
    Wow! That wiring looks.... Dangerous... and terrible?

18. Default Re: Chae

A picture taken inside:

Name:	Chae1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	11702

19. Default Re: Chae

yeah, what's up with the wiring? JK
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Had another nice experience there tonight!

I came here yesterday for lunch and was really excited to try it out. The staff was very friendly and the inside looked and felt awesome. Although, I'm assuming this type of food is all about the meat and it isn't really the best for vegetarians or pescetarians. My girlfriend and I got shrimp buns for an appetizer and shared the tofu salad and a seafood rice bowl for our entrees. The shrimp buns were $7 for two buns that would fit inside my palm. Bun, 1 fried shrimp, sauce, cilantro sprig, and jalapeno for $3.50/each. Way too pricey and not that great. The flavor of the tofu "salad" was good, but it was essentially 4 pieces of crispy tofu (which was prepared well) with tomatoes, onions, cilantro and soy sauce on top for $8. The rice bowl was very plain. Plain (nearly crunchy) white rice, barely seasoned shrimp, squid, and mussels with pickled onion and green onions on top with very little sauce in the bowl for $12. When we asked for some more of the sauce they brought us soy sauce. I just left feeling like I spent way too much ($44 for food plus two beers) for something I could have cooked at home, but better. I've never eaten Korean food and was looking for a new experience and interesting flavors. Was very lackluster for the both of us. I still feel like I don't know what Korean food tastes like.

so i'm in a car, stuck in traffic, saw this place, thought it was a "cahe", maybe a cafe (?), the sign is confusing. looked up the menu, not a cafe after-all. this place needs to be down the 23rd road over by tuckers I thought, or maybe down on broadway/auto alley area. I knew when rehearsals was there, but i am still not sold on the location for this new joint, the confusing sign, and that 23/penn intersection is cheap-o fast food dominated.

Had lunch there with a friend. I had the bibimbap and she had the galbi tacos. It was pretty good and I will probably go back but didn't really satisfy my Korean fix. If I am in the mood for Korean I will still prob make the drive to Del City. I'll end up going here just for something different than the rest of the NW food scene.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Had lunch there with a friend. I had the bibimbap and she had the galbi tacos. It was pretty good and I will probably go back but didn't really satisfy my Korean fix. If I am in the mood for Korean I will still prob make the drive to Del City. I'll end up going here just for something different than the rest of the NW food scene.
    Korean friends said something similar to that with regards to the Korean fix.

I'm not really familiar with Korean food so I don't really have a comparison. I had the pepper appetizer and the bibimbap... I thought both were good and I will be back, but I am not in a rush to. It may just be a personal preference, but I would much rather have Thai food if I'm going to eat Asian.

Thread Information