Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chae

Default Re: Chae

I need to try it out. but was hoping it could satisfy my Korean fix and not have to drive to Del city!

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Had lunch there with a friend. I had the bibimbap and she had the galbi tacos. It was pretty good and I will probably go back but didn't really satisfy my Korean fix. If I am in the mood for Korean I will still prob make the drive to Del City. I'll end up going here just for something different than the rest of the NW food scene.
    Trousers,
    What is the name of the Del City restaurant? I'm moving to the area in the next few weeks, and plan on trying it.
    Thanks,
    C. T.

There are several in the area and which one I go to depends on my mood.
    -Korean House has my favorite bulgogi
    -Dong A (probably actually Moore?) has my favorite bibimbap
    -Seoul Garden favorite banchan and seafood

Hope that helps and please remember all tastes are subjective

4. Default Re: Chae

Dong-A is definitely Moore. ;+) (12th & Eastern)

Also B-Won in Del City (44th & Sunnylane)

Trousers,
    Thanks, and yes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I am not a Korean food connoisseur by any means but I have a friend that just married a South Korean lady and thought I should try the cuisine.
    C. T.

And I need to actually correct my own post. I actually meant B-Won for banchan and seafood, not Seoul Garden (thank OBEA).

7. Default Re: Chae

And I need to actually correct my own post. I actually meant B-Won for banchan and seafood, not Seoul Garden (thank OBEA).
    I have never tried Seoul Garden... How does it compare to B-Won?

I've only been to Korean House once and I thought it was good but since I really like the Dolsot Bibimbap at B-Won. It has always been my go to for Korean.

Honestly it's been so long since I ate at Seoul Garden I would really hate to voice an opinion.
    It was probably one of the first or second times I had ate Korean and was still trying to figure it out.

Had lunch at Chae today.

First of all, I had never been in that space and it was surprisingly nice inside. Decent sized bar, lots of nice seating then two separate outdoor patios. Had some good beers on tap, but that would have to wait for another trip.

Had the fried dumplings as a starter and they were really good, especially the spicy dipping sauce.

Opted for a special, which was a pork belly rice bowl with pickled veggies. Very good and so much food I didn't finish it.

Really want to go back for dinner and try more items, as this is definitely my kind of place and a nice break from comfort food.

10. Default Re: Chae

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Had lunch at Chae today..
    I was there for lunch today as well.... Had the Steamed Pork Bun and Kimchi Arancini as appetizers and both were excellent... Really loved the crispy pork belly in the pork bun and the Arancini were some of the best I have had... I even liked the kimchi, which I'm not a fan of in general.... I also picked up a hint of fish sauce on it that I've never tasted on kimchi at most of the Korean places on the east side.

We shared the Iron Bibimbap and the sous vide eggs and beef short ribs took that dish over the top.... I'm definitely going to be going back as often as I can and trying some of the other items but those pork buns will get ordered every time I'm there because I'm a pork belly junky.

I've eaten there three times, and while I admit I have no experience in traditional Korean cuisine, I really enjoyed Chae. The decor is great, it's very clean and well done inside, with tvs to watch a game, a nice small bar to sit at, etc., and two nice patios for the better weather. The food is fantastic, I've had the arancini kimchi balls, the pork belly buns, the kimchi, the tacos, and something else I don't recall. Everything was good, a bit spicy, fresh, and full of flavor. I fully intend to visit as often as I can, and it has earned its way to the regular rotation. I recommend visiting. Sadly, it's not been busy during any of my visits, and they deserve to do well. I hope it takes off.

They do half off all their small plates from 2-5 Monday through Friday.

I'll have to find a time to stop by during that time, as it's a great way to try all the different appetizers, which all look very good to me.

13. Default Re: Chae

Everybody, I don't think Chae is meaning to be authentic Korean - instead, I believe they are shooting for Korean Bistro experience (which is much more fusion and modern).

Keep this in mind if you go, there is a difference despite similar names/dishes as the traditional Korean spots.

Good that OKC does have a Korean strip, maybe we should start threads for cuisines so restaurant specific threads don't get hijacked (with no ill intent) sharing their list of other restaurants (or in this case, specific restaurants).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Everybody, I don't think Chae is meaning to be authentic Korean - instead, I believe they are shooting for Korean Bistro experience (which is much more fusion and modern).

Keep this in mind if you go, there is a difference despite similar names/dishes as the traditional Korean spots.

Good that OKC does have a Korean strip, maybe we should start threads for cuisines so restaurant specific threads don't get hijacked (with no ill intent) sharing their list of other restaurants (or in this case, specific restaurants).
    There are already a number of threads like that under the General Food and Drinks area.

15. Default Re: Chae

Here are a few pics from my lunch here last week for your viewing pleasure...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2624.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	11969
    Pork Bun

Name:	IMG_2625.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	11970
    Kimchi Arancini

Name:	IMG_2626.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	11971
    Iron Bibimbap

Ooh, that all looks delicious.

They have tweaked their menu a bit; some new items and they added more types of buns:

I love this place, but really wish it was closer to downtown. It's never been busy when I've been there, I hope they're doing well.

19. Default Re: Chae

soondubu ahhh
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

went there for lunch around a month or so ago and shared the iron bibimbap and some spring rolls... the place is pretty solid, imo. went right at opening and the place was pretty busy but not quite full by the time we left. -M

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I have never tried Seoul Garden... How does it compare to B-Won?

I've only been to Korean House once and I thought it was good but since I really like the Dolsot Bibimbap at B-Won. It has always been my go to for Korean.
    My wife and I (and her sister and nieces) really like Korean food and we strongly prefer B-Won over Seoul Garden & Korean House. I work near B-Won on Tuesdays and the place fills up quickly beginning around 11:30 and usually half the patrons are in uniform. Whether those folks have been to Korea and know good Korean food is unknown, but if nothing else, word of mouth at Tinker seems to rate B-Won very highly.

Finally decided to hit this place up after my wife and I have been talking about going for months. We usually seem to pass on Chae because there's always another restaurant in town that we absolutely love going back to. Finally pulled the trigger, and thank god we did. Let me preface by saying that we don't eat Korean a lot, probably have had it less than a dozen times now so I'm not a good person to ask on authentic Korean. However, we do know good food and this place was delicious. First off, the inside was not what we were expecting at all. Looked like it would be small and cramped from the outside; it was small but layout was fine and place was intimate but lively at the same time. For a Tuesday night, it was actually quite busy. Also, our server was awesome. Friendly and very helpful for us first-timers on the menu.

Onto the food, I had been working all day and hadn't eaten yet. So by dinnertime, my stomach can never handle all the things I'm craving. Wanted to try several things, so we got a pork belly bun, chicken bun, galbi tacos, and iron bibimbap. She told us the bibimbap was going to be "plenty for us to share." But my eyes were extremely hungry that night. First thought was, $7 for one bun?! That seems unusually high, compared to other buns we've had. They came out and they were really good size, however. And both were awesome. I thought I was going to be disappointed with the pork belly, as everybody seems to be in this pork belly craze, and my family has been eating it for years. When I have had it lately, I'm just like meh. This bun was great. Pork belly was so tender and had the right amount of fat (which I love) to it. Whatever the sauce was, it was delicious, and I think it was the same that was on our tacos. Chicken karaage bun was great too. I thought the chicken would've been great just by itself as an app. Been to many Japanese places lately that attempt chicken karaage, including Tamashii, and they always seem to disappoint. Because of the toppings and sauce, it's hard to tell if this chicken could've stood alone, but seemed much closer than my other recent experiences. My wife didn't enjoy the tacos as much as I did, but I really liked them. Only complaint was there were a few pieces of beef that were much chewier than the rest, and I was chewing for quite a while before swallowing. We were both actually pretty full at that point, and laughed about it a little. Then the bibimbap came out; holy s%#&! We definitely ordered too much food. It was a huge bowl; hence the $25 price on it. Our server mixed it up for us, we had a few bites, and then she boxed it up for us. It was great; rice was nice and crispy in many areas. Now we have dinner for 2 in the fridge.

Was really surprised that no one has talked about this place in 8 months; had to type it into the search bar after searching back a few pages with no luck. If you haven't been here yet, go and give it a shot. Like I said, I'm no expert in Korean cuisine; I can speak a little more on Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese food. But if this is what Korean fusion is supposed to taste like, I think it's a homerun. So glad we tried it; now, we can add it to our rotation .

I go with a group of guys to lunch here atleast 2-3 times a month. We've never had a bad experience and if we are running a little late, their happy hour starts at 2 and is fantastic.

24. Default Re: Chae

I was in there for lunch last week and there were at least three tables of first timers sitting around me. Good to see people getting out and trying foods that may be out of their comfort zones..... Helps that Chae is knocking it out of the park on the food.

My wife and I went a few months back. I really enjoyed it, but I think it was a little outside my wife's food comfort zone. Reading your post made me pretty jealous.

Thread Information