Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hibdon Tires

Default Re: Discount Tires

I've let wally folk install a battery here and there. That's about the extent of it.

Even when I buy new tries, I go through the guys at Tire Stop here in Norman. Small shop, nice folk.

2. Default Re: Discount Tires

I've used Discount Tires for years. They have good prices and will rotate and warranty tires.

The paper is reporting this as a Hibdon Tire's Plus. Not sure if the deal changed and the Discount deal fell through.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    LOL! I think it's funny how some of you like DT now but I'm pretty sure you'll be dissing DT like you do Walmart one of these days after they run off the little guys. Just seems hypocritical or plain naive IMO. YMMV so if that doesn't apply to you don't get all riled up.
    I love Discount Tires because of how they have treated me. They are very competitive with their prices and have been extraordinary in their customer service. They have actually "down sold" me before and got me great tires at better prices than the ones I came in to buy. And, for example, last week I hit a chug hole in Dallas an ruined a tire and bent a wheel. I had to buy a tire there and get a temp wheel. After fixing the wheel here, DT changed the tires to my fixed wheel, re-balanced, etc. and never charged me. They never charge to check the wheels/tires, to balance, etc. Best tire service I have gotten in my nearly half a century of driving.
    So, I am pretty sure that they are way different than Wal Mart in so many ways, just based on customer service. If and when that ends, I guess I will diss them, but only when they deserve it. I have dissed WalMart because of their below average (or non-existant) customer service....and not just in car care. DT is in a different league.

I'm just saying that low quality service starts when the big chains run the small ones out of town. Cause and effect. Ya'all don't cry about Main Street dying if you were part of the reason it died.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I love Discount Tires because of how they have treated me. They are very competitive with their prices and have been extraordinary in their customer service. They have actually "down sold" me before and got me great tires at better prices than the ones I came in to buy. And, for example, last week I hit a chug hole in Dallas an ruined a tire and bent a wheel. I had to buy a tire there and get a temp wheel. After fixing the wheel here, DT changed the tires to my fixed wheel, re-balanced, etc. and never charged me. They never charge to check the wheels/tires, to balance, etc. Best tire service I have gotten in my nearly half a century of driving.
    So, I am pretty sure that they are way different than Wal Mart in so many ways, just based on customer service. If and when that ends, I guess I will diss them, but only when they deserve it. I have dissed WalMart because of their below average (or non-existant) customer service....and not just in car care. DT is in a different league.
    Same. It's weird to have an undying loyalty to a tire shop but DT is just fantastic with an absolutely brilliant business model.

They fix flats for free and are happy to do it. Even if you've never bought a thing from DT. I have bought my last 5 sets from them. Competitive prices, warranties, great service, and nation wide.

Get a blow out in Dallas? Put the spare on, drive to the nearest DT they'll look up your account and put a brand new matching tire on for you. I love Mom and Pop but for as much as I'm on the road that's just an essential feature.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    I'm just saying that low quality service starts when the big chains run the small ones out of town. Cause and effect. Ya'all don't cry about Main Street dying if you were part of the reason it died.
    I support mom and pop when they are better, or even the same, but sometimes they just can't deliver the same support, even if they want to. Driving constantly to multiple cities, I can't tell you the number of times I've been bailed out. And, try as they may, mom and pop can't be everywhere I need them to be. There are just some businesses where scale and multiple locations is a decided advantage. All tire stores are selling a commodity, so there is little other way to differentiate than service and location. With driving and the unpredictability of problems, multiple locations is a critical differentiator.

9. Default Re: Discount Tires

I like Discount Tire as well. I've purchased three sets of tires from them now for various vehicles and I've always gotten top-notch service. They do a very good job and since they don't do anything besides tire and wheels, you don't get the pushiness of them selling other services like they do at Hibdon. FWIW, I used to install and sell tires, shocks, brakes, etc. for Big-O way back in my younger days.

10. Default Re: Discount Tires

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    FWIW, I used to install and sell tires, shocks, brakes, etc. for Big-O way back in my younger days.
    Then you might like this story. I bought a set of Big-O tires way back for my CJ-7. I worked for the Fairgrounds Speedway on the Safety Crew at the time. I ran over a wrecked race car part and shredded a tire. I told the manager the truth about what happened to the tire. He said "Nope, you hit something in the road on the way to work right?. What could I do but agree?

11. Default Re: Discount Tires

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Then you might like this story. I bought a set of Big-O tires way back for my CJ-7. I worked for the Fairgrounds Speedway on the Safety Crew at the time. I ran over a wrecked race car part and shredded a tire. I told the manager the truth about what happened to the tire. He said "Nope, you hit something in the road on the way to work right?. What could I do but agree?
    I picture the manager nodding his head up and down as he's telling you this.

The owner of the shop I worked at used to race at the fairgrounds. Fun guy to work for, but I had a supervisor who made working there miserable. He basically told me to sell stuff (usually shocks) to people who didn't need it. I still remember him instructing me - "Every car that comes in this bay needs shocks, whether they need them or not."

Finally breaking ground on Hibdon Tires

So I guess this means that Discount Tire will soon open shop next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    So I guess this means that Discount Tire will soon open shop next door.
    No, when I first made the thread Discount was in negotiations but those fell through and Hibdon ended up purchasing.

I know I just meant that always seems to be the case. Kind of like Walgreens and CVS always open next to each other.

Looks like it will be opening around November 18th.

Default Re: Hibdon Tires

Personally I think the location is horrible. The building sticks out like a sore thumb.
    I mean, Mustang never had I would call a scenic vista but this monolithic structure doubles down on 'in your face and ugly'. It's a long building crammed into a small space. Makes you wonder what they were thinking.

Yeah I kind of thought from the git go it was pretty large, especially compared to BIgO.

The city dropped the ball for sure.

Thread Information