Widgets Magazine

Thread: A Fond Farewell to Andy's

Default A Fond Farewell to Andy's

After over 50 years in business, Andy's Liquor Store in Midwest City will close at the end of this month. My tie to the store started 40+ years ago when the original Andy, Austin Andrews, hired me to work for him at Tinker. I never actually worked for him because he retired shortly thereafter; retired from the base but not from the liquor store and his car wash. We stayed in touch....lots of visits to the store. He helped my new husband and me learn about wines. Later his son took over as the new "Andy". And many more years later when we moved to Washington State, most of our moving boxes came from the big bin outside Andy's. When we came back, we became Andy customers again. It's been a good run and we'll miss our Andy.

2. Default Re: A Fond Farewell to Andy's

I'm definitely going to miss the place. The staff was always super knowledgeable and able to help you with wine pairings for tasting and cooking...and actually knew the differences in how they change in the two. There really isn't an equivalent in the EOC area. Sure there are normal liquor stores with the hard stuff, but no one has the variety of wine and interesting beers that Andy's has. It's a big loss for the area.

Default Re: A Fond Farewell to Andy's

My understanding is the land was purchased and that's what prompted the closure but why not relocate or sell to somebody that would reopen in the vicinity? There's certainly a need for a store in the area and despite not having any knowledgeable beer people it was still pretty convenient for me as I'm sure it is for a lot of base employees. Somebody will recognize the void and jump on the opportunity I'm sure.

Interesting. I take it the auto dealership bought it??

I was told that somebody has purchased the racks & inventory (but not sure how that works with ABLE commission) & was looking at the 15th & Post area next to Marcos Pizza..

That is all unverified.

David Stanley did buy the land

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I was told that somebody has purchased the racks & inventory (but not sure how that works with ABLE commission) & was looking at the 15th & Post area next to Marcos Pizza..

That is all unverified.

David Stanley did buy the land
    We were told about the 15th and Post location, too. Hope it's true. It's even closer to where we live now. Apparently David Stanley had been trying to buy the property for seven years and "Andy" decided it was time to sell.

7. Default Re: A Fond Farewell to Andy's

Hm, interesting information. If the stock (and hopefully the knowledge) goes to 15th/post, then that's not bad at all.

Andy should be able to retire now off that purchase though.

Andy's was my first liquor store! I've been going there since I turned 21, and always felt like the folks were neighbors. I was able to purchase the neon "Boulevard Brewery" sign.

Now I have a new rumor for you. I drove by today and noticed some signs in the window... saying the store will be moving a mile north to 15th and Midwest Blvd. Expect to be open mid-August. The street address is 75xx (I forget), so it will be across from Langston's, maybe in the Outreach Thrift store location. That looked empty last time I noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Head View Post
    Andy's was my first liquor store! I've been going there since I turned 21, and always felt like the folks were neighbors. I was able to purchase the neon "Boulevard Brewery" sign.
    Same here, and that's been a lot of years ago. They always were helpful in wine selections and had the best variety on this side of town. Hopefully the new store will have the same.

11. Default Re: A Fond Farewell to Andy's

Hm, so I guess someone convinced him to let them buy him out rather than open a whole new store. That's great!!! I hope it's with the same staff!

Drove by this place to see what was up. There was a sign saying that it was moving to the intersection of 15th and Midwest Boulevard. There were people working on one of the shops that share a building with Lee's tires so I assume that's where they are moving.

I went by the new location yesterday. They have changed the name to Midwest Wine and Spirits. I will stop by this week sometime and let you know what I think.

The new place is nice and clean. The size is good. It's a far cry from those little old dusty liquer stores on every corner. The people were very friendly. They didn't have some of my favorite beers and wines but I gave them a list and they said they would try to get it.

It doesn't remind me of Andy's and I didn't recognize anyone from the staff at Andy's. Nevertheless I'm glad Midwest City has a nice liquor store like this. Hope we keep supporting it.

Thread Information