Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Panhandlers

Default Re: Panhandlers

Panhandlers make me sick. Majority of them are con artists. I will not give them a single dime ever. As for those that are truly homeless and down on their luck, I do empathize with them. However, how long does it take someone to get on their feet? Jobs are out there if one is willing.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Panhandlers make me sick. Majority of them are con artists. I will not give them a single dime ever. As for those that are truly homeless and down on their luck, I do empathize with them. However, how long does it take someone to get on their feet? Jobs are out there if one is willing.
    The sentiment is understood. There is a guy in a roll-a-bout wheelchair thing-a-mah-gib who frequents the 23rd and Pennsylvania intersection whose legs are chopped off below the knees. I don't know what else a guy like that can do.

3. Default Re: Panhandlers

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    The sentiment is understood. There is a guy in a roll-a-bout wheelchair thing-a-mah-gib who frequents the 23rd and Pennsylvania intersection whose legs are chopped off below the knees. I don't know what else a guy like that can do.
    I'm fairly certain the thousands of hard working Americans in wheelchairs could probably give the guy you mentioned a few ideas.

Considering a huge percentage of workers sit most of their day, I think being in a wheelchair is not that large of an obstacle to the goal of simply being employed.

When I had my T-shirt shop (many, many years ago) one of my sale's people was actually in a wheel chair.

Heck the greeter at the Edmond Sam's is usually a really nice guy in a wheelchair that appears to have a disability that goes beyond simple paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    This guy lives in the Vegas neighborhood. I've seen he and his wife going home several times.

Isn't there a law on the books that requires anyone working on a highway or interstate has to wear a day-glo or fluorescent colored vest? I've noticed many panhandlers in dangerous intersections that should be wearing safety vests.

I grew up next door to a man who was confined to a wheelchair. Didn't keep him from being a medical professional, nor from driving, camping or boating. He and his dear wife, one of my early teachers, were truly great people. Both were so friendly and cheerful in all the years I knew them. I never once knew about the pain he lived with.

The first I learned of the intensity of his struggle was after he could no longer endure the pain and left this world. I felt horrible that I never noticed even a hint of his pain and struggles. But other than when weather interfered with a chance to go out on his boat, I can not say I ever heard him complain about anything. It's been three decades now, and I still miss him.

I know of an individual who was, and is, homeless. He's sober now and looking for a job. He lost everything so has no ID, no social security card and no birth certificate. What is the best way for him to proceed?

Quote Originally Posted by workman45 View Post
    I know of an individual who was, and is, homeless. He's sober now and looking for a job. He lost everything so has no ID, no social security card and no birth certificate. What is the best way for him to proceed?
    on the ID side:
    Probably calling or just going into the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (aka Oklahoma DMV) to see how to proceed, they normally want some form of ID but it happens enough they should they should at least be aware of the process of what to do, if not the start of the process. The location near 36th and MLK is the best equipped to handle any request, it looks like it is $20 to file for the basic ID Card, I do not see anything listed on the website for if missing all ID, but given how long they have been requiring fingerprints it seems like that ought to be convincing proof in most cases. After that the social security card and birth certificates should be strait forward to replace with a State issued ID Card.

I get this far into this thread without metal health being mentioned? It's easy to judge. I do it too. But, many of these people suffer from mental illness of one kind or another. In fact, many of these same people would have been institutionalized before the '80s dump into the streets.

10. Default Re: Panhandlers

Mental illness and substance addiction.

I usually have some dog treats in the car, which come in handy at times. Still, always mindful of the necessity of water for my four-legged friends.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Another note I tried to hire a "will work for food" person and they simply told me that they make more in a couple of hours than I could afford to pay them. I was offering $100 for a days work cleaning up a dirty warehouse.
    My former boss use to tell me a story like this. He was traveling in the 80's doing construction work all across the country and came across a man with a sign saying the same thing. Was physical work picking up trash and carrying materials to where they were needed but good money ($15.00 / hour) for an inexperienced worker and the man told him he makes much more an hour then what was being offered and he just had to stand there.

The dishonest ones ruin it for the people that truly do need the help.

I wouldn't dare pretend to know peoples circumstances and judge them or make assumptions that they could work if they wanted and there is a place for them. we all know there are cons out there but I don't think they are all bad people who are lazy and just taking generosity for a ride. Mental health I believe is one of the biggest factors leading someone to stand on a corner for money.

Quote Originally Posted by workman45 View Post
    City Rescue Mission
    800 W California Ave
    405-232-2709

There is a lot of help available for people who are homeless. It is not necessary to give them hand-outs. I'm sure that there have been people who just needed ten bucks for gas, or were broken down, and they panhandled once and then were on their way. But the vast majority of them have ready access to all sorts of help.

Yes, most of them suffer from drug addiction and mental illness. For many they aren't ever going to be able to hold a job. But you aren't helping them by giving them cash.

The I-240 interchange is one of the city's worst spots for them, and it wasn't too long ago that I think perhaps the Oklahoman or someone in the media did some investigative work and found that a surprising number of them work in teams and actually schedule which specific intersections they're going to work, how often they hit the area, the whole thing. Not saying everyone does that, but some of it is a lot more orchestrated than you'd think. And some friends of mine experienced precisely the same thing re offering someone a job and transportation - they made more pandhandling, and it was all cash. And that was a long time ago.

I'm fuzzy on the details, but I think this same issue rolls over to some of the benevolence programs/ministries some churches try to offer in support of the needy in that area. Some would offer limited support for things like a tank of gas, or some groceries (back when there was a grocer in the area), something of that nature, but then noticed the same people were coming repeatedly, working the system, and just taking advantage. Very frustrating for the folks *trying* to help, and as someone else noted, just making it harder on the folks who need the help.

Wish there were a brilliant solution.

While some are scammers, some are also not. It is extremely difficult to break out of homelessness even if you do have a job. There are many working homeless out there. Unless you know their situation, it's not right to judge. Panhandlers though are a blight on the city. Right next to the homeless shelters, you'll find a Workforce Oklahoma office whose principle mission is to line up the jobless with jobs and skills. There are paths out of homelessness, but let's not pretend it's an easy path.

I don't give money to anyone. I did buy dinner for a guy in Bricktown last week though. He approached me and asked, "I don't want any money but could you buy me something to eat?"

18. Default Re: Panhandlers

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    While some are scammers, some are also not. It is extremely difficult to break out of homelessness even if you do have a job. There are many working homeless out there. Unless you know their situation, it's not right to judge. Panhandlers though are a blight on the city. Right next to the homeless shelters, you'll find a Workforce Oklahoma office whose principle mission is to line up the jobless with jobs and skills. There are paths out of homelessness, but let's not pretend it's an easy path.
    I totally agree with this. Its a complicated issue made more difficult when the courts ruled the mentally ill and addicted can choose to live on the streets rather than be forced into treatment that could take them out of the homeless life. To give them money on a street corner is essentially giving an alcoholic a bottle of Hot Damn 100. It may seem compassionate, but it is damaging the person you seek to help.

This is tongue in cheek but I've thought it would be interesting to go head to head up against a panhandler by having my kid with me in her school uniform holding a sign that says "private school tuition".

20. Default Re: Panhandlers

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I'm yes and no on this statement. For some, homelessness is very difficult to overcome and becomes a lifelong struggle. That said, every report on homelessness I've read actually makes it very clear that one of the problems with calculating the number of homeless in any given city is due to the fact homelessness is most often a temporary situation. This is a positive thing, because, in my experience the majority of homeless work to get out of being homeless and eventually succeed. The homeless we see panhandling and homeless we often see loitering about actually represent a tiny portion of the homeless population, but, because we see them most often, they've become the stereotype.

Often, the "homeless" we see panhandling are not homeless at all. There are labor opportunities for the homeless, but those jobs don't always translate into being able to afford a home. I have zero respect for panhandlers. But disparaging the homeless in general is painting with an awful broad brush.

Several years back I ws approached by a thirty-something man on a bicycle who wanted money for lunch. There were a few places to eat nearby so I asked him his name and where he wanted to eat. He named a place and I told him I'd meet him there in a few minutes. He rode off and I drove there. When I walked in I called him by name, shook his hand, and said it was my turn to buy. We had burgers and some good conversation.

Some times that maneuver works. Other times I've been spat at and cussed out. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I've noticed a new trend in panhandling. I've been hit up twice here recently inside a store shopping. Once at lowes and another time at target. The come on both times was a car broken down sob story. Yet another point in Amazon's favor.
    "Hey man, my sister's real sick and I gotta get to Tulsa tonight and I'm just about four bucks short of gettin' enough gas to get up there."

Heard that same f*cking story so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    "Hey man, my sister's real sick and I gotta get to Tulsa tonight and I'm just about four bucks short of gettin' enough gas to get up there."

Heard that same f*cking story so many times.
    You should have asked how he is going to get back.

Got "need to pay my cellphone bill" story last night @ PennSquare.. Honestly have never heard that one, what a terrible lie. I mean at least try.

Thread Information