Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC bar scene

Default OKC bar scene

Over the past few years the bar scene in this city has pretty much exploded. It's getting to the point where I would say OKC can hold its own against most other midsized cities when it comes to quality drinking establishments. Fassler Hall/Dust Bowl has been a slam dunk and even some more unique concepts like Flashback Retropub and are starting to appear. When I moved here in 2012 there wasn't really any upscale lounges but now there is O Bar. Within the next three years, the lack of live music venues in OKC will become a memory. With this in mind, what common concepts are still missing in OKC? The first one that comes to mind is OKC doesn't have an authentic Irish pub anymore and I think one could do well here. I also think OKC could use more jazz-oriented establishments. Something like that would be perfect in Deep Deuce given the neighborhood's history. Thoughts? What bar concepts would you like to see in OKC (that could work here) that aren't here?

Edit: I haven't been to Cosmopolitan yet but I looked it up and see that it has live Jazz. Has anybody been?

Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC bar scene

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The first one that comes to mind is OKC doesn't have an authentic Irish pub anymore and I think one could do well here.
    What happened to McNellies Public House?

Brewpubs like they have all over Denver. State laws are to blame for that though.

I'd like to see an intimate craft beer garden place with a large outdoor space like The Patriarch in Edmond. I haven't been to the Patriarch, but there are three concepts like that in Denton that are all popular. I think the building and yard south of the Aloft parking garage would be perfect. This concept would be great in Norman too.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I've not been to Ireland, so I'm not sure how close or far it is, but meh.

I've always preferred Kilkenny's to McNellie's.

As far as other concepts, there are hundreds of concepts that OKC could appropriate – An Ice-Bar anyone???!!! – but I don't think OKC's "missing" anything. We just need to continue to grow and see someone with passion for an idea put it out there and support it (if it's worthy of support). We'll never check off all the boxes, and I hope we don't start seeing things pop up just to check off boxes. That's how sterile environments are created.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I've always preferred Kilkenny's to McNellie's.
    Kilkenny's in Tulsa is more along the lines of what I am thinking when I say authentic Irish pub. I really like McNellie's but it doesn't quite have that authentic vibe. OKC used to have Sean Cummings (which is now Land and Sea).

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    We'll never check off all the boxes, and I hope we don't start seeing things pop up just to check off boxes. That's how sterile environments are created.
    I know what you mean. The best establishments are run by owners that have a passion for their concept. Bars/restaurants that attempt to make a quick buck by filling a niche they don't know how to fill usually fail.

I really like the mix of big gathering places like Bleu Garten, Fassler Hall and the Pump and then the wide array of intimate spots like Skinny Slim's, Sidecar, R&J, Slaughter's Hall and Powerhouse.

Upscale is now pretty well covered with O Bar, WSKY and even Broadway 10 and The George. The bar at the Meat Market Refectory should be very nice as well. Cosmopolitan OKC is now open and they spent a ton of money in that place. Recently went to the Barrel and was pretty impressed.

And then you have two great gastropubs in Republic and Oak & Ore. I recently took a large group of out-of-towners to Republic after a wedding and everyone loved it. I think we've already started to take such places for granted.

TopGolf will turn into a big gathering spot and there are tons more great places coming to Chisholm Creek.

And now, we've got several great live music venues getting ready to start.

I think our bar scene is quite well-rounded now and it's just a matter of someone finding a cool spot and making it uniquely theirs to continue to add to the city's nightlife.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I
    I think our bar scene is quite well-rounded now and it's just a matter of someone finding a cool spot and making it uniquely theirs to continue to add to the city's nightlife.
    More tourists too…hot European backpackers, please

Thread Information