Widgets Magazine

Thread: Yukon Athletic Complex

Yukon Yukon Athletic Complex

This is the first look at a huge new sports complex planned for the SW corner of US 66 and Frisco Road.

The land is actually in Oklahoma City, but OKC is deannexing and Yukon will be annexing.

Last year, the Yukon city council authorized payment to a Kansas City architectural and planning firm to draw up plans.

This rendering shows an aquatics center, fieldhouse, and stadiums for softball, baseball and soccer, as well as many play fields.

Default Re: Yukon Athletic Complex

Are they just annexing that section of land or is it more? Also what about the oil battery in the middle of that field? I'm not seeing it on the proposal.

Having a new aquatics center could certainly bring them some opportunities with the closing of the aquatics center at OCCC which hosted so many competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Having a new aquatics center could certainly bring them some opportunities with the closing of the aquatics center at OCCC which hosted so many competitions.
    I guess in the winter (since the art looks enclosed), Yukon already has two pools with swimming lanes open during the summer, one has six lanes and other has like four. Another thing is a couple complexes similar to this have been turned down at least two, maybe three times by votes by the citizens in the last ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I guess in the winter (since the art looks enclosed), Yukon already has two pools with swimming lanes open during the summer, one has six lanes and other has like four. Another thing is a couple complexes similar to this have been turned down at least two, maybe three times by votes by the citizens in the last ten years.
    Most major swimming competitions are indoors, even during warms months. A pool with only 6 lanes really isn't adequate for that.

Blog Entries

Soccer part of this looks very nice. Could be a nice draw for youth tourneys which bring a lot of $ into the area.

Most major swimming competitions are indoors, even during warms months. A pool with only 6 lanes really isn't adequate for that.
    I was not really thinking tournaments, since the building does not look that large

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I was not really thinking tournaments, since the building does not look that large
    I'm sure that is a very preliminary depiction but it appears to approach the size of one of the soccer fields.

I'm sure that is a very preliminary depiction but it appears to approach the size of one of the soccer fields.
    It being Yukon, I would be shocked if there was not one of the water playgrounds for young children inside too

Has Yukon officially annexed that land from OKC yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Has Yukon officially annexed that land from OKC yet?
    The OKC City Council just voted to deannex this week.

I'm assuming parking will be to the south side? I think the complex is great for the area but I shiver when I look at the traffic snarls at the sports complex at Wild Horse Park on Mustang Road in Mustang. How is that going to effect Rte 66 traffic and Garth Brooks?

This isn't happening. It was shot down by voters.

http://okcfox.com/news/local/yukon-r...sports-complex

So does OKC get their land back now?

Thread Information