Widgets Magazine

Thread: S & B Burgers coming to town

Default S & B Burgers coming to town

Apparently they're moving into the building vacated by Poblanos Grill. I've never eaten at one so it'll get at least one visit from our family.

Blog Entries

Default Re: S & B Burgers coming to town

Where is this location?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1 View Post
    Where is this location?
    Eddie,
    It's at 1909 South Douglas Boulevard.
    C. T.

Poblano closed?? That's good news!

5. Default Re: S & B Burgers coming to town

Hm I didn't know Poblano closed. Can't say they'll really be missed any more than Monterey Jacks would be if they closed too. Like Cacino de Mino, they all went cheap with their recipes years ago and the flavor went down the toilet. Then when Ted's moved in, the nail went in the coffin.

Yeah, I'm sad about Poblano's. I went by the other day and everything was torn out. Their food quality had gone down over the last year or so, but I liked their fajita nachos. And they were far less crowded than Ted's.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Hm I didn't know Poblano closed. Can't say they'll really be missed any more than Monterey Jacks would be if they closed too. Like Cacino de Mino, they all went cheap with their recipes years ago and the flavor went down the toilet. Then when Ted's moved in, the nail went in the coffin.
    Poblano's was that crazy chain that opened up something like 10 restaurants inside a year (or so it seemed) in the greater OKC area, and I think every one of them is gone (?). Some of them were only open like a month or two it seems, like the one in Moore that was converted from the former Russell Stover candy store and is now Luigi's (and might have been a failed steakhouse in between?). Same for a location they opened along I-240; remodeled an existing site, opened for about a month, maybe six weeks (?), then gone.

Always thought something about that Poblano's thing seemed, well, fishy. Never ate there, so I can't make any claims pro or con, but it just seemed...odd.

SoonerDave,
    I drove North on May today and noticed that the Poblano Grill at May and Memorial is still open.
    C. T.

9. Default Re: S & B Burgers coming to town

Wasn't Poblano Grill originally opened by former employees of Ted's?

10. Default Re: S & B Burgers coming to town

I think so, and I think Monterey Jack's was Cacino de Mino employees. Funny how things were so different between the two places. With Jack's and de Mino, both took a dive for the worse, at least Ted's stayed on track. Put a Ted's up on Memorial and you'll see the last Jack's die off.

Poblano & S&B Burgers have the same ownership group. Guess its just a concept change

They Got the S & B Burger sign up outside the Bldg ... They taking Applications and states will be interviewing within 45 days and open soon afterwards

I drove by there today and there is a lot of actvity going on. Doesn't surprise me that they will be open soon.
    C. T.

14. Default Re: S & B Burgers coming to town

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post

Always thought something about that Poblano's thing seemed, well, fishy. Never ate there, so I can't make any claims pro or con, but it just seemed...odd.
    Every time I ate there, my food tasted like fish.

I didn't order fish.

I don't like fish.

What I *DO* like though? S'Mores shakes from S&B. They're the cat's arse. Burgers aint bad either

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    What I *DO* like though? S'Mores shakes from S&B.
    WHAT? i did not know this existed. this changes everything. -M

16. Default Re: S & B Burgers coming to town

That's weird since the fish would have been friend and the burger would have been grilled. I can see the fries tasting like fish if they didn't change their oil soon enough.

Yuk though....that's one of my major gripes with A&W now (not that there's much nice to say about them), but everything tastes like the Long John Silver's fish since they started putting the things in one building. The least they could do is have two oil hoppers.

17. Default Re: S & B Burgers coming to town

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    WHAT? i did not know this existed. this changes everything. -M
    It gets even better. I mean...I was sold when I saw it on the menu. But then I watched them make it.

They crumbled graham crackers into it. They stuck pieces of chocolate bar in it.

Then.

THEN.

Out came a marshmallow roughly the size of a racquetball.

Then out came the (I kid you not here) blowtorch to char up that marshmallow before they stuff it into your shake.

18. Default Re: S & B Burgers coming to town

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    That's weird since the fish would have been friend and the burger would have been grilled. I can see the fries tasting like fish if they didn't change their oil soon enough.

Yuk though....that's one of my major gripes with A&W now (not that there's much nice to say about them), but everything tastes like the Long John Silver's fish since they started putting the things in one building. The least they could do is have two oil hoppers.
    It was consistent. Several times.

19. Default Re: S & B Burgers coming to town

I had the chance to try this over the weekend. The food was ok (not special, but good...just not amazing). But the employees were AWFUL!!!!!! We had 6 of us and you'd think we'd asked them to sit 100 people. Two hostesses seemed to not know what to do. There was one other party of 8 or so that was also there that had a few of the tables together as well. They removed so much of the Pablano seating, that it really left very little flex table space for things like that. Throw just a couple 2 table parties in and the whole place is out of whack. And that was just the beginning.

Our waitress apparently couldn't be bothered to come see us until another person (whom I actually would have preferred having) had taken our drinks. A good 15 minutes later, the lady finally shows up and can't answer any questions about anything related to the menu. The wait was average for the first round of plates. But that was it...the first round. She gave us some crap story about how they made her put it in 3 orders at a time. Are you kidding me? How stupid do you think we are? Either you forgot to put the others in or you don't know how to use the software. She managed to mess my order up pretty bad too. Next fail was the fact that she ignored us for the next 20 minutes totally. They fill the glasses with so much ice that you get very little drink....which means it's gone quickly. So there we sat, no drinks and no waitress. Eventually she came and gave a few refills as she brought the check. The staff going in/out of the kitchen added to the experience of "not good". I swear they looked high or at least that part of their brains were fried. I don't know if that's the pool of people that applied with the place being a rock and roll theme or if the hiring folks were desperate to get staff to open. But most of them are a major fail. And it's not like MWC is short on good staff....just check the other 100 places to eat.

So they're going to have to get their little butts in gear, or the place isn't going to make it. To be honest, it felt like a poor imitation of The Garage, only VERY POORLY done.

Thread Information