Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Jones Assembly

Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Dont know if it fits your budget but I've found, with all the construction and the cost for valet or parking, Uber is great for a night at the Jones.
    what is the cost for valet?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    We will be coming from Yukon, so I doubt Uber would be the cheaper option here. I was just wondering if anyone knew the Valet pricing vs the parking garage pricing. Also, how early should we plan on getting there if the show is at 7pm?
    It may be different on concert nights but I believe the valet and the parking garage west of the Jones are both $5 (plus tip for valet).

If someone else doesnt answer I'll try to take a look after work since I work across the road. Pre warn you. Western and Classen south of Sheridan are closed. Sheridan is eastbound only there too. So it will take some extra navigation/planning in advance.

Okay, thank you!

The parking garage had a $10 event parking sign out today so might plan on that. There was no valet parking sign.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    We will be coming from Yukon, so I doubt Uber would be the cheaper option here. I was just wondering if anyone knew the Valet pricing vs the parking garage pricing. Also, how early should we plan on getting there if the show is at 7pm?
    One thing I've heard about the timing on the tickets/website is that doors open pretty early for some shows (6:30 for Father John Misty), but show doesn't start until 8-ish, so check your tickets to see if it's a "Doors open" or "Show starts" time...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    One thing I've heard about the timing on the tickets/website is that doors open pretty early for some shows (6:30 for Father John Misty), but show doesn't start until 8-ish, so check your tickets to see if it's a "Doors open" or "Show starts" time...
    I love The Jones but I do wish they would publish an estimated start time for their shows instead of just saying when the doors open. I've been to two concerts there, both with doors opening at 7:00. The first one, I arrived at 7:30 and the first act started playing at 8:00. The second one, I arrived at 7:20 and the first act was already halfway done with her set. Again, I really enjoy this venue and this is just a minor complaint, but it would be helpful with planning on when to arrive at a show there.

So, last night was fun. My wife and I arrived to the Jones around 6:45pm and were able to park done the street in front of Joey's Pizza for free, so didn't even check out valet or anything. The line outside was fairly long when we walked up and they must have just started moving people through as the line was moving. So they either meant to open the doors at 7 or someone decided they needed to start early since the show was sold out. I honestly didn't know how big Rainbow Kitten Surprise was, I actually attended to see Wilderado, the opening act. The line moved fairly quickly and we were inside in no time. We really loved the venue and will definitely go back for the restaurant next time. Both acts were great, though Wilderado might have been a tad too loud at times, causing the sound quality to suffer a bit, but I should preface that I am an amateur sound technician for a local church as well as I used to run audio for a local band a few years back so I might be a little critical of things.

This being my first concert in what seems like forever, I quickly remembered why I don't go to many concerts. This is purely a personal issue, but others might experience the same. Why do concert goers like to squeeze close together and cram themselves in the tiniest of spots? I left maybe 5 inches or so between the dude in front of me; since I am on the short side I couldn't see anything but the lead's head so I back up a little to give me a slightly better view, but I also don't like breathing on some random person's neck. But as the night went on I had numerous girls squeeze and and then just stand there, no space between us, body touching body. All I could do was just look at my wife and wonder... Is this a common practice at any concert at any venue?

On another note, if anybody still thinks the OKC is all Cowboys and Indians, than they should have been at the Jones last night. Probably the most diverse crowd I have ever seen, both in age and style. Overall we enjoyed our time and will probably go again after we have our baby, the wife got lucky and saw a friend from college at one of the tables and was able to sit down between the acts.

Oh one final thing, is the production crew always local guys? I noticed last night there were guys from Toucan, but I wasn't sure if that is a venue thing or each act does it differently.

Blog Entries

We attended the Mat Kearney concert last night at the JA and it was just awesome. Helps when the weather is PERFECT, but what a venue for events like that! It was said several times by the performers that it is as cool a venue as anywhere in the country, and I know that is a little bit of playing to the crowd, but you get a sense it truly is in that category. We left talking about which show we'd play to attend next. By the way, sitting on the risers on the patio area for most of the night was a great way to take it all in.

^

Even when the weather isn't perfect, the heating and cooling on that patio always seem to make things pleasant.

I remain in awe of the job done at the Jones, in every respect.

I went to the sold out Randy Rogers concert there on the monsoon Friday. The patio seating was removed but thankfully the rain held off during the concert or it would have been real cozy. This venue is so great I will continue to see bands that I don’t even know well like Randy Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I went to the sold out Randy Rogers concert there on the monsoon Friday. The patio seating was removed but thankfully the rain held off during the concert or it would have been real cozy. This venue is so great I will continue to see bands that I don’t even know well like Randy Rogers.
    I went to go see Lake Street Dive there a couple of years ago, as the show fell on my birthday and it just sounded like a fun thing to do. I didn't know them at all before I saw the gig and listened to them on youtube.

The evening was an absolute blast and I loved the performance. You forget how talented almost all these acts are until you see them in person. And Jones is such a great setting and they do a very good job with managing the event and sound.

I've also seen people perform acoustically on their patio and all have been great.

Going to see Jenny Lewis there, and while it would be nice for her if it was sold out, I hope it's not. Went to Father John Misty and it was sold out and miserable - no room to move, no place to stand comfortably - along the right side wasn't feasible because of all the traffic to/from the booths, around the bar wasn't good (because of all the traffic, again), the entrance to the patio wasn't good (ditto), it was just too full, and it seemed like everybody except the ones right in front the stage were constantly going back and forth between one place and the other. Wife is 5'2", so standing in the middle of the floor generally isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Niiiice

Noticed something after attending a few concerts at Tower, Criterion, and Jones all in a row. Within a relatively short period of time, we went to Tower to see The Psychedelic Furs, Criterion to see Bon Iver, Jones to see Jenny Lewis, then Dwight Yoakam. Noticed at Father John Misty a while back that his vocals weren't very clear, either during songs or monologues, chalked it up to a sold-out venue and all the people soaking up the sound, but then noticed the same thing at Jenny Lewis, which was only half-full, then *again* at Dwight (and for FJM, we were at the back, Jenny, we were around the soundboard, and Dwight, wife was outside right at the barrier and I was inside about 1/3 of the way to the front).

At Tower, all their shows I've been to have had crystal-clear sound, everything understandable and separated, and at Criterion pretty much the same thing. Does Jones have an inferior PA or bad sound guys or .....? Anybody else think the same?

Yes. Jones' sound is the worst. Pixies, a bucket list band for me, was ruined by the horrible acoustics. All bass. Haven't been back since even though many bands I would like to have seen have played there.

Tower is top notch in the sound department. Criterion is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    At Tower, all their shows I've been to have had crystal-clear sound, everything understandable and separated, and at Criterion pretty much the same thing. Does Jones have an inferior PA or bad sound guys or .....? Anybody else think the same?
    These days, it's pretty much gonna be different every time. Most bigger acts will bring some, if not all, of their own stuff, save for the main arrays. They're often going to have their own techs as well. However, you are always going to have inexperience with the room and, sometimes, equipment as a factor. And given a standard 2, maybe 3, hour time for sound check, and results are going to vary. Where you stand will always be a factor. It will definitely sound different when it's full compared to the empty room for sound check. Some are good at adjusting for that and some are not.

The interesting things is that, of all these venues, Tower is probably the place where the house PA is going to be used more often, just because you're usually talking about smaller productions than the other venues. And my experience has been a lot like your in that the front of house has been consistently good. I have heard that it can be problematic on stage, but in ear monitors can mitigate that. I will say that it's a weird room when empty, but, again, it's always sounded good out front to me. It also has the simple advantage of being smaller with a good ratio than the other venues, so there's more places to stand where the first thing you hear is coming off the arrays and not something reflected off a concrete surface.

That being said, I have been to some very good sounding shows at the Jones. Both Lake Street Dive shows sounded as close to perfect as it can get, imo (granted, they'd probably sound good in a hangar). I even thought the Pixies sounded good, unlike aegisdodd, but I planted my self next to the sound board for that one. I can't think of one that sounded like total trash there, but I will also move around a lot to find a sweet spot (always have to do that at Cain's, too. FWIW, if you want the low end at Cain's, it's usually about 3/4 of the way between stage and soundboard).

Criterion has been the most inconsistent in my experience. The acoustics there seem to be closer to an arena than a theater, with a lot of hard, flat surfaces with little refraction. But some techs and some acts (and some gear) are better at dealing with that than others. You start introducing a lot of distortion in that environment, it gets hard to maintain definition. And, honestly, sometime it's just a matter of taste or the fact that everyone actually hears things differently.

Heading to watch Son Volt tomorrow night. Have been to several concerts there, but this will be my first on the patio side. Anyone been to one on the patio side? Wonder if it’s worth it to get there at 6:15-6:30 to try to get a seat.

20. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Heading to watch Son Volt tomorrow night. Have been to several concerts there, but this will be my first on the patio side. Anyone been to one on the patio side? Wonder if it’s worth it to get there at 6:15-6:30 to try to get a seat.
    Yes... Saw Aaron Lee Tasjan on the patio side last year and despite the low turnout it was a great show... I actually think the sound on the patio is better than the indoor stage.

Son Volt may have a slightly larger turnout. I'll be there for this show and I'll be back in October for Lucero on the patio.

Cold War Kids coming to the Jones on 10/8. Another great act for them!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Cold War Kids coming to the Jones on 10/8. Another great act for them!
    Ooooh!

We all griped for so long about the lack of live music and suddenly things have swung almost completely in the other direction.

23. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ooooh!

We all griped for so long about the lack of live music and suddenly things have swung almost completely in the other direction.
    Yes... It's concert overload now.... I'm practically living at The Tower and Jones this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ooooh!

What do you think caused this swing, and what can we do to keep the pendulum on this side?

25. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    What do you think caused this swing, and what can we do to keep the pendulum on this side?
    Three new venues.... two of which have been knocking it out of the park and the 3rd is improving.

Thread Information