Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men's Suit

Default Men's Suit

I'm in need of a couple of suits in the near future and was wondering if anybody has advice or comments about best quality for price or anything like that.

I've frequently seen the Jos A Bank ads that are buy 1 get 3 free. Is the quality acceptable or should I just pony up and look for nicer suits?

Any advice?

2. Default Re: Men's Suit

I really like Pinpoint Resource in 50 Penn. It's not the cheapest place in town (quite a few high-quality offerings), but also not super expensive. Plus, Chris always starts throwing stuff (ties, dress shirts...) in like crazy to put deals and outfits together.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Men's Suit

Teena Hicks downtown is very nice or Alltons in Edmond. Have good experience with both. Not cheap but nice stuff. Tell Teena you need a deal and she will work with you a little bit.

4. Default Re: Men's Suit

I would steer clear of Men's Warehouse and Jos A Bank (same company now I believe). The suits are of pretty low quality all around. I have a slim disposition and finding a new suit was hard. I ended up waiting to get one from Macy's Bar III line. It was inexpensive and is a decent suit. I also own a thompson suit from JCrew that I ordered. A bit more expensive but also slim fit and nice.

Honestly suits that cost more usually do for a reason. If you can go somewhere local and get fitted. It's all about the tailoring. Pinpoint Resource is a good option as well as Ambassador Shop on Memorial by the turnpike.

This is very anecdotal, but I hear and read it a lot. If you absolutely have to go with the lower end suit, forget Men's Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank (which as fightthegoodfight mentioned is the same company now). You get a much better quality suit with the J.C. Penney Stafford Executive line of suits. If you get one of these suits, build in the extra to take it to a good tailor. You'll pay about the same as MW or JAB and have a higher quality suit.

I have bought stuff from spencer stone which like, but I also buy from Men's Warehouse. They had some good slim fit calvin Klein suits on sale that I really liked. Same suit was at Macy's for1/3 more of the price. But I like my suits probably extra slim so that is why I stay away from most suit shops, because they usually just have traditional suits with pleats and are super baggy.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Teena Hicks downtown is very nice or Alltons in Edmond. Have good experience with both. Not cheap but nice stuff. Tell Teena you need a deal and she will work with you a little bit.
    Most definitely agree. You will find that a good quality suit will last far longer (and you will get a far better return) than suits from bottom-tier clothing stores. Also, Men's Wearhouse, etc., will tell you they carry the same brands (Hickey Freemen, etc.). Those are NOT the same suits. Many high end manufacturers make lower quality suits specifically for those markets - they are not the same as you will find in Teena's or Altons. Teena is also very good at helping you find versatile suits that can serve a variety of needs.

Both places can get you in a suit for a reasonable price that is well worth the quality.

And whatever you do, don't take them to the cleaners....

someone here posted recently about a clothes service based out of OKC, and I can't for the life of me remember it, but might be a good help for you

I'll echo what everyone here is saying, but steer clear from jobs a bank's or men's warehouse. On the higher end you can either get an off the rack suit from Spencer Stone or have him custom fit you... you also get to pick everything about the suit (fabric, lapel, buttons, etc.). There are also websites like J Kilburn where they come measure you at home, you pick the fabric, etc and then send it off to you.... I had someone measure, but never ordered a suit so I can't speak to the quality. I have a J. Crew Ludlow suit that is very nice for the price.

Since I wear a suit everyday it is nice to have multiple, cheap options as well. I have found a lot of luck at Nordstram Rack where you can sometimes find a much higher quality suit than say a Jos A Bank for the same price.... You just have to be willing to take some time. A tailor can make a cheap suit look 100x better also. I've mainly used Helena on May Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by positano View Post
    Most definitely agree. You will find that a good quality suit will last far longer (and you will get a far better return) than suits from bottom-tier clothing stores. Also, Men's Wearhouse, etc., will tell you they carry the same brands (Hickey Freemen, etc.). Those are NOT the same suits. Many high end manufacturers make lower quality suits specifically for those markets - they are not the same as you will find in Teena's or Altons. Teena is also very good at helping you find versatile suits that can serve a variety of needs.

Both places can get you in a suit for a reasonable price that is well worth the quality.

And whatever you do, don't take them to the cleaners....

Yes while the suits at mens warehouse might be a lower quality (like what a lot of retail stores do at outlet shops) its not the same quality, but I guess I look at this way, unless you wear the suit everyday and have stayed the same weight for a number of years no need investing in a $2500 suit. I bought a bunch of fancy suits about 5 years ago, then lost about 25 pounds, so now they look like clown suits on me so I cant wear them. (Goodwill thanked me for them) Plus I think the style of suit changes every few years so no need to spend $5K on a couple of expensive suits that might be out of style in 3 years anyway or two sizes too big or too small when you could buy 3 decent suits for $1500 then in 3 years buy 3 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I really like Pinpoint Resource in 50 Penn. It's not the cheapest place in town (quite a few high-quality offerings), but also not super expensive. Plus, Chris always starts throwing stuff (ties, dress shirts...) in like crazy to put deals and outfits together.
    Yeah Chris is a good guy. He's quite the salesman. You'll go in wanting to buy one suit and come out with three. But it's a good place.

Teena Hicks downtown. Her off the rack suits are decent but she is very reasonable on custom made and custom ordered suits. I usually purchase nice starter suits for my interns as a graduation gift.

This really depends on your budget and how often you need to wear them. Better suits last longer and hold up better, and a plain navy or charcoal 2 button suit never really goes out of style. I usually have my best luck at Saks off fifth when they do 2 for one, they have Hickey Freeman and they're great suits. In general, I'd say to stay away from Jos Bank and men's wearhouse because their products are mediocre and they are terrible at fitting you.

What is your budget, what are they for, and how often will you wear them?

I am in a position now that I will need to wear a suit for work, and I never have had to before. I have a couple suits currently, but really need to add to the collection.

Haven't really decided on a budget yet. Kinda why I was asking so that I could determine whether I should go for better quality or if they will wear out more quickly wearing them really often, should I settle for lower quality.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I am in a position now that I will need to wear a suit for work, and I never have had to before. I have a couple suits currently, but really need to add to the collection.

Haven't really decided on a budget yet. Kinda why I was asking so that I could determine whether I should go for better quality or if they will wear out more quickly wearing them really often, should I settle for lower quality.
    IMO, the short answer is yes - a lower quality suit will wear out more quickly. You should be able to find a perfectly adequate, strong quality suit, well-tailored, for between $400 and $600 - particularly if you find one on sale. As several of us mentioned, if you go to a place like Teena Hicks or Altons, be sure to give them a description of what you need (they would likely ask anyway). They can steer you towards suits that best meet your needs. Teena has talked me out of suits before that wouldn't have been very useful to me - and she was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post

For the basics, as I mentioned, things like solid navy and charcoal, get quality. They don't go out of style and you can wear them for anything. If you wear suits frequently, start learning your measurements and sizes in different brands and shop online.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Yes while the suits at mens warehouse might be a lower quality (like what a lot of retail stores do at outlet shops) its not the same quality, but I guess I look at this way, unless you wear the suit everyday and have stayed the same weight for a number of years no need investing in a $2500 suit. I bought a bunch of fancy suits about 5 years ago, then lost about 25 pounds, so now they look like clown suits on me so I cant wear them. (Goodwill thanked me for them) Plus I think the style of suit changes every few years so no need to spend $5K on a couple of expensive suits that might be out of style in 3 years anyway or two sizes too big or too small when you could buy 3 decent suits for $1500 then in 3 years buy 3 more.
    I agree. With body changes and style changes I find it far better to buy a cheaper suit and if it happens to unravel, doesnt fit or goes out of style, you can simply buy another cheap suit. Ive had some from Jos A Banks and nothing appears "cheap" about them. Sure they arent a custom suit but for the money, its hard to beat. And Banks now offers a slim suit for a more modern look.

You can also find some good deals at Banana Republics or J Crews outlet store. Find a close fit and then pay a good tailor to alter if needed.

18. Default Re: Men's Suit

If you don't mind mail order, JCrewFactory has nice suits and they are all on half price right now. I own several and while they aren't top end goods, for off the rack suits, they are pretty nice. Combatant Gentleman (combatgent.com) has nice goods, but stock can be dicey. I also see a lot of good reviews for Suit Supply, but I've never bought there. I was in the JCrew factory store (outlet mall) yesterday and they had a really nice blue wool for the mid $200s, but sizes were spotty. You could go there for fit and then mailorder. Good thing is if you mail order from JCF, you can make returns at the JCF store.

Stay clear of JABank, unless you can afford their signature gold line. Even then, you're overpaying unless you get them on serious sale.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I would steer clear of Men's Warehouse and Jos A Bank (same company now I believe). The suits are of pretty low quality all around. I have a slim disposition and finding a new suit was hard. I ended up waiting to get one from Macy's Bar III line. It was inexpensive and is a decent suit. I also own a thompson suit from JCrew that I ordered. A bit more expensive but also slim fit and nice.

Honestly suits that cost more usually do for a reason. If you can go somewhere local and get fitted. It's all about the tailoring. Pinpoint Resource is a good option as well as Ambassador Shop on Memorial by the turnpike.
    I'll second Ambassador Shop - they mainly carry Tiglio, the attention and tailoring you get there is great, bought a suit and a few shirts/socks there. They're on the east side of Western, just north of Memorial.

I buy all my dress clothes & suits at GQ Fashions on the NW corner of 23rd and I-44. They don't just carry the bright colored suits they have a room in the back that has really nice business suits. You can get a Ralph Lauren suit there for around $250 or $275 when they are $500 to $600 at Macys. Their markup at GQ is not high at all. The great thing about that store is you can get an inexpensive suit $99 or a really nice one. Their customer service is excellent as well. Go in and ask for Andy.

They also carry a lot of the same brands as the Ambassador and they will be cheaper.

Who do people recommend for just doing alterations? I have some pants that need to be adjusted a bit and I was looking for a tailor in north OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Who do people recommend for just doing alterations? I have some pants that need to be adjusted a bit and I was looking for a tailor in north OKC.
    Helena's on May and Grand is who I usually use. I've also used Voha's on May north of Britton... both are good.

If in Norman, go to Kim's. She does an excellent job and she does alterations for Stoops, Boren, and Switzer.

The place on the NE corner of 122nd and N May is the best I've found.

Too bad Tupperware does not still make Men's Leisure Wear and Suits. You can never go wrong with a polyester jump suit with wide cuffs, bell bottoms and big lapels.

Thread Information