Widgets Magazine

Thread: Unbattered General Tso's chicken....anyone encountered this?

Default Unbattered General Tso's chicken....anyone encountered this?

I spent 11 years in Stillwater and came to truly love the General Tso's chicken at Leo's Peking Place, just north of Campus. Unfortunately, they closed several years ago and I haven't found anything like it since then.

Leo's' General Tso's chicken was smallish chunks of dark chicken meat that were simply stir-fried (not battered and deep fried) in what I'm guessing was a ginger/garlic sauce. The only other noticeable ingredients in the dish were some small red flakes (probably mild pepper) and medium-sized chunks of green bell pepper. The sauce was the perfect blend of slightly tangy and sweet.

Every other Chinese restaurant I've eaten in batters and deep fries the chicken and then they cover it in a syrupy sweet, sticky sauce. I still like this style of General Tso's chicken but Leo's style is far superior.

Has anyone come across a Chinese restaurant in the area (I'll include Central OK and Tulsa in this area) that serves a General Tso's chicken like what I've described Leos serving?

Default Re: Unbattered General Tso's chicken....anyone encountered this?

i've never heard of this preparation but it sounds really good.

this also reminded me of a documentary i've been meaning to check out:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I spent 11 years in Stillwater and came to truly love the General Tso's chicken at Leo's Peking Place, just north of Campus. Unfortunately, they closed several years ago and I haven't found anything like it since then.

Leo's' General Tso's chicken was smallish chunks of dark chicken meat that were simply stir-fried (not battered and deep fried) in what I'm guessing was a ginger/garlic sauce. The only other noticeable ingredients in the dish were some small red flakes (probably mild pepper) and medium-sized chunks of green bell pepper. The sauce was the perfect blend of slightly tangy and sweet.

Every other Chinese restaurant I've eaten in batters and deep fries the chicken and then they cover it in a syrupy sweet, sticky sauce. I still like this style of General Tso's chicken but Leo's style is far superior.

Has anyone come across a Chinese restaurant in the area (I'll include Central OK and Tulsa in this area) that serves a General Tso's chicken like what I've described Leos serving?
    My son had this the other day at Ninja in OKC and i am not sure that it was battered. You might call and ask them.

Never seen it sans batter commercially. Sounds yummy though

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    My son had this the other day at Ninja in OKC and i am not sure that it was battered. You might call and ask them.
    It is definitely listed on their menu as a wok item. It doesn't specify anything about being battered or not battered.

http://nhinja.com/Documents/nhinja%2...to%20print.pdf

6. Default Re: Unbattered General Tso's chicken....anyone encountered this?

When I read the title of this thread I thought this was going to be some kind of anti-domestic violence campaign against chickens.

Does sound good though as most places I have had Tso's chicken around here go overboard with the breading.

I know a former Nhinja manager so I'll ask him if their's is breaded.

The family that owned Leos now owns Panda Express (not the national chain) in Stillwater so we made the trip and it's a tiny, mostly take-out restaurant and their General Tso's chicken is just like everyone else's. The owner was in California that week, which was too bad because I was going to ask her to make it for me Leo's Style.

If Nhinja's is battered, it's really thin. I eat it all the time.

Also, there's a place called Speedy Wok, next to Crest on Hefner and Rockwell, that prepared it this way when I was last there like twelve years ago . *shrug* Perhaps not much help.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kimball View Post
    If Nhinja's is battered, it's really thin. I eat it all the time.

Also, there's a place called Speedy Wok, next to Crest on Hefner and Rockwell, that prepared it this way when I was last there like twelve years ago . *shrug* Perhaps not much help.
    I'll give these a shot!

Thread Information