Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Biker shootout in Waco

1. Default Re: Biker shootout in Waco

Warning, don't look if you're squeamish: Why Wearing Jeans on a Motorcycle is a Really Bad Idea

There are tons of other places on the web where you can see people who thought good thick jeans were "good enough," right up until they were getting skin grafts. In even a 45 MPH slide you're going to be abrading bare skin within seconds. That's why God made Kevlar. And leather. Wait. God made leather. Some genius at DuPont made Kevlar.

2. Default Re: Biker shootout in Waco

There are about 1000 great pairs of Kevlar pants out there if you don't want leathers. Of course, neither helps with impact unless you also have integrated armor or some other sort of armor.

Dainese D6 Riding Jeans - RevZilla

AGV Sport Alloy Riding Jeans - RevZilla

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...ng-cargo-pants

Default Re: Biker shootout in Waco

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    So are Carhart jeans.
    I have a pair of lined ones in case, heaven forbid, I should ever have to walk out in sub freezing temp. Some of the armored jackets I have seen are pretty impressive with the hard points, armored lumbar and airbags for your neck.

Gangs will fight almost as hard as OU over corporate logos. Turf = money.

4. Default Re: Biker shootout in Waco

Here's a link showing how indiscriminate the arrests and bond setting appear to have been: SA man caught up in Waco melee has lost his job at USAA - San Antonio Express-News

Well if his lawyer friend says he is a good guy, he must be.

Well, did they just arrest everyone in attendance or eating at the restaurant, or only those involved in the fights? Its not unreasonable to assume there are some innocent folks caught up in this sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Well, did they just arrest everyone in attendance or eating at the restaurant, or only those involved in the fights? Its not unreasonable to assume there are some innocent folks caught up in this sweep.
    Considering he is being held on $1,000,000 bail my guess is he didn't get arrested while dipping his fries in ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Considering he is being held on $1,000,000 bail my guess is he didn't get arrested while dipping his fries in ketchup.
    If it had been mayonnaise I would agree to the bail amount.

They did automatic $1 million dollar bail on everyone arrested.

...and none of them were arrested while dipping their fries.

11. Default Re: Biker shootout in Waco

Were you there? If 170 were shooting I would expect a lot more fatalities.

My guess is there will be some wrongful arrest lawsuits before it's over with. Hopefully the thugs will go to jail and the innocent will go free. Probably some thugs are going to go free before it's over too.

Three bikers jailed with more than 170 others for more than a week and a half after a deadly shootout at Twin Peaks were going home to Austin on Thursday, after winning significant bond reductions in an agreement with the McLennan County District Attorney’s Office.

State District Judges Matt Johnson and Ralph Strother approved bond reductions from $1 million to $25,000 each for Jonathan Lopez, Theron Rhoten and Ryan Craft, members of the Vice Grips Motorcycle Club who ride antique Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

The judges said they met with District Attorney Abel Reyna on Thursday and agreed to consider significantly lower bonds if attorneys for the bikers and Reyna’s office could reach accords.

Reyna did not return phone messages left at his office and on his cellphone Wednesday and Thursday.

“The DA’s office is going to make a good-faith effort to try to work out some agreements on bond reductions,” Strother said. “I would welcome any agreements the DA and the attorneys are able to reach.”
    Three more bikers released after bond reduction agreements with DA - WacoTrib.com: Courts And Trials

Next up, plea agreements.

That's my thoughts. No sympathy for the gangs and thugs, but anyone who thinks all 170 arrested were involved, are criminals, and deserve the bail they set are nuts.

They took em all....

167 of the 170 were arrested inside the shooting perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    That's my thoughts. No sympathy for the gangs and thugs, but anyone who thinks all 170 arrested were involved, are criminals, and deserve the bail they set are nuts.
    About as nuts as those who think the only guilty parties are the cops.

Anyone want to speculate on how many of the 170 will plead guilty to or be convicted of a crime?

WACO -- A 30-year old father and former firefighter who is also a member of a motorcycle club has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit alleging he was illegally swept up in the police dragnet following this month's Twin Peaks biker shootout in Waco.

Matthew Clendennen of Hewitt is a member of the Scimitars Motorcycle Club and was at Twin Peaks on May 17. He was one of approximately 170 people arrested after the melee, which left nine dead, and was charged with engaging in organized crime.

In his lawsuit, filed in federal court in Waco on Friday, Clendennen said he "did not encourage or solicit any criminal activity at Twin Peaks that day."

It states he was arrested "without probable cause and his motorcycle was illegally seized."

His lawsuit names the City of Waco and the McLennan County Sheriff's Office, as well as individual officers working the Twin Peaks case.

"It was the policy of the City of Waco, as decided and approved by their policymakers, to cause the arrest and detention of numerous individuals belonging to motorcycle clubs who were in or around the Twin Peaks restaurant at the time of the incident, regardless of whether or not there was individualized probable cause to arrest and detain a particular individual and to do so based on 'fill in the name' complaints without individualized facts," the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit makes no specified claim of damages, but says Clendennen's constitutional rights were violated.

Motorcyclist files lawsuit over Waco biker brawl arrest

18. Default Re: Biker shootout in Waco

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post

Anyone want to speculate on how many of the 170 will plead guilty to or be convicted of a crime?
    Who has suggested that the only guilty parties are cops? Or even that they were largely responsible for the mayhem? The ideas that some lawbreakers got violent and unruly (even deadly) AND that nervous law enforcement and an on-defensive DA and justice system overreacted a bit are not mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Who has suggested that the only guilty parties are cops? Or even that they were largely responsible for the mayhem? The ideas that some lawbreakers got violent and unruly (even deadly) AND that nervous law enforcement and an on-defensive DA and justice system overreacted a bit are not mutually exclusive.
    Just like this, to which I was responding:

believes 170 arrested were involved, are criminals, and deserve the bail they set are nuts.
    If the shoe fits.

nm...already posted

Not really an accurate barometer. Ask any public defender who has had a client locked up because they can't afford bail the number of times they have had clients plead to some little bull**** charge they were not guilty of because it meant that they got to go home that day instead of waiting in jail 1-2 years for trial.

22. Default Re: Biker shootout in Waco

If the shoe fits.
    Why did you strategically edit out the word "all" in the text you quoted? Doing so fundamentally changed the meaning of his original words to suit the argument you were making. Were you hoping nobody would catch the dishonest representation of what Jerry posted?

Crikey. Here:

If the shoe fits.

Feel free to look for faults with whatever didn't work in my multiquote abilities this time too.

Yes, "all" probably would have been an important word in what he said for me to have quoted, it would have reinforced my counterpoint even more had I quoted the whole thing instead of hastily coping and pasting part of it.

He staked out an extreme position to call nuts. So did I.

24. Default Re: Biker shootout in Waco

It's an extreme position to think that even ONE of the 170 might not be guilty? Sounds like a safe bet to me. Especially in light of some of what I've read, and some of the weird/paranoid statements made by the sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It's an extreme position to think that even ONE of the 170 might not be guilty? Sounds like a safe bet to me. Especially in light of some of what I've read, and some of the weird/paranoid statements made by the sheriff.
    ^ does not equal:

Thread Information