Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

1. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Wow, that was a lesson, now I feel old & out of touch with the community. LOL
    I'm not sure any of my friends know all this either. Makes fir an interesting dinner conversation.

Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

If people are going to keep adding letters, they should at least make it spell something funny.

Found this on a Facebook page for a group hoping to raise funds from the city and otherwise to improve this area... Which is badly needed.

I've seen this plan passed around and talked about a bit. I would love to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I've seen this plan passed around and talked about a bit. I would love to see it happen.
    Maybe with the future renovations of the Habana Inn this project will get spurred along quicker??

6. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

looks to be JUST the boost the district needs.

Hope they can get it done and use this to VISIBLY prove the critics wrong about OKC !!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

7. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

39th St. District and Oklahoma Mural Syndicate are accepting partnerships for 39th St. Walls!

Would really like to see this gayborhood develop into a cohesive destination the city can be proud of. Donations will help.

8. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

The 39th Street Association working with OKC planning to turn the stip into an Entertainment District.

Finally.

I really hope improvements come sooner than later. better streets and sidewalks could really make a difference. I look forward to seeing whats to come. I know the Boom has purchased the old Car wash are are to demo part of it and the one building to be remodeled and make space for retail.

It needs more than the owners of the Boom wanting to make things a good deal better for the district. Hopefully, the owner of the Habana Inn will remodel it, so people from out of state won't sum up their stay there with one word--gross! Making the 39th St. district a more desirable place for out of state visitors will help it prosper, which is even more important to do, since there is no longer a regional gay rodeo held every year.

I think something similar to what the city did with Western near Sushi Neko would make a huge difference on 39th.

All of the focus on this area is so great. I'm not sure if the "official" name is the 39th Street District, but I think shortening it to just "39th" or something like "District 39" might help with marketing, branding, etc.

13. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Make the places non smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    or something like "District 39" might help with marketing, branding, etc.
    yeah... somehow i don't think district 39 would work too well. : )

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    Make the places non smoking!
    I keep hoping more will do so.. Apothocary 39 is the only fully non smoking bar. Boom show bar is non smoking but front bar is smoking. they made the front bar non smoking for a hot minute until winter came and the owners didn't want to go outside to smoke anymore.
    the new Habana owners are planning on remodeling . they are working on a bank of rooms at a time and plan new vamped name and signage. I am hopeful it will update the look of that place because yes.. gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    yeah... somehow i don't think district 39 would work too well. : )

Ha! Nice!

17. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

I tend to agree. Seems like a full remodel would be a perfect time to cut out smoking inside.

When they say non smoking does that also include vapes? I see a lot of people vaping all types of stuff but it doesn't have the harsh odor like cigs or weed. Is vape considered a health hazard like second hand smoke? Just wondering if some of these places could ban smoking but allow vaping? So many bar hoppers really enjoy a smoke with a drink.

19. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

^^ I looked at the website for Free the Night, it didn't specify. I think a lot of smoke free places include no vaping too

HangryHippo Guest

SIAP - Journal Record is reporting the Habana Inn has sold for $2.4 million to Los Angeles investors.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    SIAP - Journal Record is reporting the Habana Inn has sold for $2.4 million to Los Angeles investors.
    That seems like a lot of money! Is it for the land to create a development I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    That seems like a lot of money! Is it for the land to create a development I wonder?
    Unless something has changed I’m pretty certain the new owners plan on remodeling it.

From what I've heard about the new owners from several people in the inner Habana circle the bars will go smoke free. They will be completely redone as well as entrance to the lobby and restaurant. The rooms will all be redone as well. There are some people on site now doing something to them. The major remodel from what I understand will be after Sept which is when the last of the pre-booked events end. The copa and finishline will be non-smoking and they are adding a rooftop bar which will allow smoking. I've also heard the main hotel pool will be enclosed where the finishline pool will be as is. Any tenants living there have been given 10mos notice (don't know if they are going to continue to have people live there) As I said this is the word on the street, but is pretty consistent from person to person close to the inner workings of the complex. When its all said and done it should be really nice.

^

That all sounds really positive.

I hope it signals the beginning of enhancements to that entire area, which is pretty rough these days.

The issue of visible homelessness at I-44 and Penn will have to be addressed before any serious walkable nightlife returns to this area.

Thread Information