Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

^^^ may be for Oklahoma, but homelessness doesn’t really cause much of an issue for walkable nightlife out in CA or other major urban centers I’ve been to.

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    The issue of visible homelessness at I-44 and Penn will have to be addressed before any serious walkable nightlife returns to this area.
    as someone who has frequented the bars in this area for well over 20 years. this area has always had homeless people, Panhandlers and such and it has never really hindered people walking from bar to bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    as someone who has frequented the bars in this area for well over 20 years. this area has always had homeless people, Panhandlers and such and it has never really hindered people walking from bar to bar.
    It's more of an issue of attracting walkers from up and down Penn than it is on NW 39th St. itself. I live in the area and love to walk to east to Western, east/south to Classen, and even on a rare occasion north on Classen (even though the walkability at Classen near Expressway and I-44 is terrible). I pride myself on walking as much as I can despite the lack of infrastructure.

That being said, I don't walk north along Penn under the I-44 bridge anymore due to the amount of harassment, trash, and even human waste I have to deal with. I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of the homeless in our city by any means - our society needs to do more. But, the increasing presence at this one intersection has made it too difficult for me to deal with.

People should quit giving beggers at I-44 and Penn money or whatever, and they will go away. A society genuinely concerned about the plight of the homeless should think of a way to help them without making them feel compelled that they got to gather at a busy intersection or overpass and beg for help. Maybe part of the problem is that poor people with mental illness can not get help from the state.

Hopefully they have deep pockets and a long term vision...

https://newsok.com/article/5621341/l...-oklahoma-city

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    Hopefully they have deep pockets and a long term vision...

https://newsok.com/article/5621341/l...-oklahoma-city

"The Southwest's largest gay resort?" Admittedly, I've never stayed at the Habana, only driven by. Maybe I don't know. But would anyone really classify it as a resort? Really?

7. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post

"The Southwest's largest gay resort?" Admittedly, I've never stayed at the Habana, only driven by. Maybe I don't know. But would anyone really classify it as a resort? Really?
    Per Wikipedia, "a self-contained commercial establishment that tries to provide most of a vacationer's wants, such as food, drink, lodging, sports, entertainment, and shopping, on the premises. "

Pretty sure the Habana Inn qualifies as a "gay" resort. May not be flashy or up-to-date (yet), but it does attempt to provide everything while on the premises.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The abandoned Anson car wash has been purchased by the same group that owns the Boom directly to the west.

Permits have been filed to have it demolished.

This is another small step forward for the district; will be interesting to see what goes up on that lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The abandoned Anson car wash has been purchased by the same group that owns the Boom directly to the west.

Permits have been filed to have it demolished.

This is another small step forward for the district; will be interesting to see what goes up on that lot.

Good to hear! Will be nice to have that eyesore gone.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post

What does it need? A bunch of fake palm trees scattered about?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Good to hear! Will be nice to have that eyesore gone.
    Wait... why tear it down? Isn't this a great example of period architecture that is part of OKC's heritage?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Wait... why tear it down? Isn't this a great example of period architecture that is part of OKC's heritage?

Are you just playing devils advocate here or trying to make a point?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    What does it need? A bunch of fake palm trees scattered about?
    Might help.

Actually I don't think you could really make anything I would consider "a resort" in that area of town. Could probably call it a "iconic symbol of the gay history of OKC" or something like that.

14. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

its not a tropical vacation resort hotel but it is a gay resort - that seeks to meet the needs of its clients full spectrum.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

If you didn't already know, a large part of it won't be torn down and will be made into upscale retail: http://www.gayly.com/boom-owners-pur...acent-property

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    If you didn't already know, a large part of it won't be torn down and will be made into upscale retail: http://www.gayly.com/boom-owners-pur...acent-property
    This was in reply to the Anson car was to be demolished.

Oh... and I wasn't being serious about saving car wash architecture.

I know it'd be more costly, but I wish they'd put a building right up at the corner of the property at 39th and Barnes, instead of having that big corner be a parking lot and setting the storefronts back. It would be much better land use than what they're proposing right now - though the current proposal is certainly an improvement.

Looks like there is a bit of movement at The Habana, they were working on the sign yesterday. Looks like at minimum they are installing a screen underneath the main sign.

I hope they will put a whole new sign up since the name changed. The car wash is now gone next to The Boom. It'll be nice to see this area re-vamped, to say its way overdue is an understatement!

I hope that they truly do revamp the Habana. it's one of those things I kind of wonder if it will really happen or if its just a pipe dream. Like the old Hollywood Hotel that had new owners with big lofty goals and now there is a Winco where that sat.

That little stretch of road on 39th is just so incredibly sad.

Abandonned buildings, broken pavement, weeds, trash... I know there has been lots of talk about a spruce up but it needs to happen in order for anyone to make a decent investment in the district.

That little stretch of road on 39th is just so incredibly sad.

Abandonned buildings, broken pavement, weeds, trash... I know there has been lots of talk about a spruce up but it needs to happen in order for anyone to make a decent investment in the district.
    agreed.. it looks terrible. new streets and actual parking rather than gravel in front of those building and planters would go a long way.

I know nothing is going to be done as part of the Better Streets iniative, so I'm not sure there is any real momentum behind meaningful change.

I know nothing is going to be done as part of the Better Streets iniative, so I'm not sure there is any real momentum behind meaningful change.
    Considering how hostile the political climate in this town was not so long ago when Kirk Humphreys was mayor, the area being in the condition its in is as completely understandable as it is depressing. With that said, do you think revitalization would receive support from city hall today or would it still be controversial?

Thread Information