Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021 LastLast

Thread: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

Default Re: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    What was the prevailing school of thought pushing for reverse angle parking and why did anyone believe that would work here? lol
    It works in Austin, but those people are pretty smart and actually know how to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    It works in Austin, but those people are pretty smart and actually know how to drive.
    Touché

I've parked there a few times and that back-in method isn't very easy unless you have a really good backup camera.

Since 75% of the people aren't using the spaces as intended, it seems like a simple solution just to restripe everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Half of that parking isn’t used. Why not do what the businesses want but convert one side of the street to two way cycleway? Buy land and build a parking garage when demand warrants? When the hell are we going to get out of this “I need to park right in front of the door I am going into” mentality. OKC is one of the only cities I’ve ever seen where I’ve been with someone in a car who will circle a parking for 10 minutes trying to find a space right up to the building instead of parking just 100 feet further away where that part of parking lot is virtually empty.
    Since I'm not a very physically active person, I would welcome a chance for a little exercise by having to walk 100 ft. or ever further when all front spaces are taken. But I guess in this lazy, car loving society, a lot of people would disagree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    So glad they added a 4 way stop at the end of this block. With 2 new venues the foot traffic will definitely pick up.
    I hate 4 way stops. I think they should all be converted to roundabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Since I'm not a very physically active person, I would welcome a chance for a little exercise by having to walk 100 ft. or ever further when all front spaces are taken. But I guess in this lazy, car loving society, a lot of people would disagree with that.
    I’d recommend you walk when you can. Tons of studies have shown walking increases happiness and health!

A number of years ago I had a brief argument on Twitter about this exact set of reverse angle parking spots with Marek Cornett and Steve who were both advocating for them, Marek mentioned at the time that the engineering would be done such that the potential would be there for switching them to normal angled parking. Hopefully that is indeed what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    A number of years ago I had a brief argument on Twitter about this exact set of reverse angle parking spots with Marek Cornett and Steve who were both advocating for them, Marek mentioned at the time that the engineering would be done such that the potential would be there for switching them to normal angled parking. Hopefully that is indeed what happens.
    Yeah, in their request for the switch, they showed the desired configuration on a recent aerial and it would be super easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    What was the prevailing school of thought pushing for reverse angle parking and why did anyone believe that would work here? lol
    Reverse angle was put in near the Square in Denton and after some complaining for a while, about 50% of people use them correctly and 50% don't. My understanding is that one benfit of back-in parking is that it's safer for cyclists because drivers see them much more easily.

In downtown Ardmore they have back-in angle parking with a median in the middle of the road.

I went to Tulsa for lunch with a friend and along 15th between Peoria and Utica, they had back in angled parking, which I used and everyone else did properly. They had proper signage at the beginning of where the parking started so maybe that helped. But it was only for about a half mile and then went back to regular parallel or angled parking.

In the second image, the green checkmarks represent all the businesses supporting the parking change:

13. Default Re: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

back-in parking doesn't really work on narrow streets such as this segment of 39th unless there is a media down the middle which forces drivers not to cross to the other side. Also, if the street were wider (say 4 lanes) then there would be more adherece to reverse parking.

This is a lesson for the city, if you're going to do reverse then install a median in most situations or less preferred - have a wider street/multiple lanes.

My opinion for 39th is head-in with bike lanes along the sidewalks (instead of in the street). Need to add in landscaping and lighting - then the district/gayborhood will be a hit esp once more patio options open.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I ride my bike down 39th between Youngs and Barnes on a daily/nightly basis. The reverse angled parking has felt far safer for me (especially if it's evening and the bars are busy), even if drivers can't figure it out half the time.

I don't really care if they switch it or not and I don't mind backing in, however if they don't enforce it we should just switch it. while it does increase sight lines when pulling out , that doesn't work so well if EVERYONE isn't backed in. the backs of vehicles block those sight lines. I am also generally tired of hearing people complain about it. I usually just state the reasons for it, that I don't mind it and that frankly the street looks better than it has in my lifetime so I'm certainly not going to let back in parking ruin that for me.

The lack of enforcement is the issue. If they had done that in the beginning -- even with just warnings -- people would have figured it out and complied.

OKC is terrible about putting things out there (like the new sidewalks) and then there is no maintenance or follow-up. Don't blame this on 'dumb' drivers; there has to be a process to teach people and enforce the regulations. There has been absolutely zero of that.

The Traffic Commission voted to defer the parking change for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Traffic Commission voted to defer the parking change for 6 months.
    Is there going to be anything done to educate the public and enforce back-in or is it just tabled with no extra action?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Reverse angle was put in near the Square in Denton and after some complaining for a while, about 50% of people use them correctly and 50% don't. My understanding is that one benfit of back-in parking is that it's safer for cyclists because drivers see them much more easily.
    That's an abysmal degree of adoption.

This may have been well intentioned, but has the whiff of some nerdy hipster planner putting something out there that was destined to fail.

For rent signs gone and looks like they were working on cars in the garage. Did the bar deal fall through?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    For rent signs gone and looks like they were working on cars in the garage. Did the bar deal fall through?
    Probably so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8103.jpeg 
Views:	231 
Size:	464.5 KB 
ID:	18044

This is great news!

Does anyone know if the vintage clothing store moved out? Driving by this morning the space looked empty. We need business moving in not out.

Blog Entries

Thread Information