Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

1. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

its a long overdue start.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

From James for OKC Facebook page, early renderings of the streetscape improvements to NW 39th St.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39th.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	16611

That is a great deal of reverse angle parking that most Oklahomans are going to be very confused by. After years and years of observing it on University Dr up in Edmond I could probably count on both hands the number of times I've seen it there used correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That is a great deal of reverse angle parking that most Oklahomans are going to be very confused by. After years and years of observing it on University Dr up in Edmond I could probably count on both hands the number of times I've seen it there used correctly.
    From what I understand, James Cooper and city staff wanted much less parking and to keep the bike lane, but business owners in the district wanted more on-street parking and no bike line. So, the reverse angle parking a compromise to keep bikers safer.

*Not a spokesperson for James Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    From what I understand, James Cooper and city staff wanted much less parking and to keep the bike lane, but business owners in the district wanted more on-street parking and no bike line. So, the reverse angle parking a compromise to keep bikers safer.

*Not a spokesperson for James Cooper
    Good for Councilperson Cooper, et al, OKC needs to get out of the cars-only-forever dark ages and move on and progress.

This can't happen soon enough, as that area right now is a disgrace.

Several of the businesses have spruced up their properties and this project will make a huge difference.

7. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Even after all the cries that people are going to die in collisions on Main Street in Ardmore when they installed reverse angle in their downtown district.... No one died and they figured out how it worked quickly.

Surely these big city folks can figure it out eventually.

We added reverse angle parking on one street in downtown Denton a few years ago. It was an appropriate street to do it for the same reasons mentioned above. Some people made a fuss for a bit, but you don't hear much anymore. I'd ballpark that about 75-80% of cars park in the correct back-in way.

More detailed architectural/engineering plans, for anyone interested: https://okc.primegov.com/meeting/att...20Addendum%201

I can't wait for this to come to fruition. Really wish we could've kept the bike lanes but I understand the businesses probably fought hard for more parking. I'm hoping against all odds this results in more daytime/weekday activity there... maybe a cafe, or bookstore? etc.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 9.43.21 AM.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	16613

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 9.43.01 AM.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	16614

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    We added reverse angle parking on one street in downtown Denton a few years ago. It was an appropriate street to do it for the same reasons mentioned above. Some people made a fuss for a bit, but you don't hear much anymore. I'd ballpark that about 75-80% of cars park in the correct back-in way.
    It is kind of like roundabouts. Everybody hates them/confused by them at first but they are unquestioningly safer.

Blog Entries

I don't know, we've had the midtown roundabouts for a decade and often I see the same confusion on them...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I don't know, we've had the midtown roundabouts for a decade and often I see the same confusion on them...
    Americans are pretty pathetic WRT roundabouts, no idea why people can't just figure it out after a couple of times through instead of "OMG, WHAT DO I DO, STOP HERE, WAIT, GO, OMG STOP, I ALMOST GOT HIT". Then again, they're pathetic with four-way stops and merging properly, too, which are simpler than roundabouts, so......

I think the simplest rule of thumb I've seen for them is "yield to the car already in the roundabout". Works for me.

I see basically everyone else has more faith in Oklahoma drivers than I do, but until I see reverse angle parking used in Oklahoma that doesn't have an end result of the following I won't be sharing the optimism.

Name:	PXL_20201209_185438424-resized.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	455.3 KB 
ID:	16615

Picture taken today on my lunch walk.

I see basically everyone else has more faith in Oklahoma drivers than I do, but until I see reverse angle parking used in Oklahoma that doesn't have an end result of the following I won't be sharing the optimism.

Name:	PXL_20201209_185438424-resized.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	455.3 KB 
ID:	16615

Picture taken today on my lunch walk.
    Wow, there's even a sign! I have a feeling you are going to be right about this one. It will be very easy to intuit that you should make a left across the street and park head first instead of backing in on your own side of the street.

Blog Entries

Most of Downtown Tulsa has reverse parking. The city has spent years replacing much of the parallel parking and adding more protected bike lanes inside the back-in parking. I can't recall it being used incorrectly.

That’s incredible Tulsa can figure out how to place bike lanes inside of the parking spaces and Los Angeles can’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That’s incredible Tulsa can figure out how to place bike lanes inside of the parking spaces and Los Angeles can’t.
    Why is this incredible? Los Angeles bike and pedestrian infrastructure is trash. I am in LA a lot without a car and it's wild how often I end up walking on PCH (which is basically walking on a highway) or walking on overgrown grass because there's no sidewalks or bike lanes.

19. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    All the users of the old Classen Circle at NW Hiway don't (or shouldn't be) drive anymore. There are a couple of generations who are kind of new to using them. More and more are being built now, though.

There has been road equipment parked on the grass right-of-way near 39th & Youngs for a week.

Looks like they are almost ready to start.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    All the users of the old Classen Circle at NW Hiway don't (or shouldn't be) drive anymore. There are a couple of generations who are kind of new to using them. More and more are being built now, though.
    How old are you... 16? Just curious why you think people who drove Classen circle shouldn’t be able to drive?

classen circle was reconfigured in the early 1980's... the youngest folks who drove it still have some driving years left in them.

while I share everyone's wish for more bike lanes I will say the ones on 39th were kind of a joke and due to ignorant drivers were dangerous. I am in this area often and the bike lane was only a few blocks long and drivers still used it as a lane for traffic. there has been many times I have went to pull into a parking spot from the drivers lane and almost hit by someone driving in the bike lane. I really look forward to seeing this work begin however because the area needs it.

Blog Entries

(can be said about nearly all bike lanes and how they are viewed/handled by drivers)

25. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

^ in OKC.

We use bike lanes just fine here. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information