Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Pete, has there been any movement on the Classen Circle development?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pete, has there been any movement on the Classen Circle development?
    They have been trying to figure out a way to make that project work financially.

It's been a challenge and I'm not sure there will be movement any time soon.

I hope this gets moving soon. the district really needs a facelift for sure.

^

Not sure of the exact timeline but the money has been allocated and once they get a bit more input, they should start the design/plan process.

I was only able to be at the very first part of last night's meeting but I'll see if I can find some details. I know they are moving this thing along.

praise be! I was excited that a private donor for pride decided to re-pave the parking lot areas. they did the one at Angles and at Tramps and had sealed the ones on either side of 39th in front of Apothecary and phoenix but then ran out of time before pride and never actually paved them. I had hoped they would but never returned. those parking areas are terrible.

The parking lot at the Habana has been extremely busy lately, with trailers on the south side of the property. I've heard a movie is being shot at the Copa. Anyone know anything about this??

Also if it isn't posted here; a good site to keep track of the proposed street reconfiguration: http://jaokc.com/portfolio/39th-stre...-enhancements/

8. Urbanism Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    they received city approval for a rainbow mural in the intersection for pride but it had to be removed by the first of the week.
    I agree it would be nice to get the rainbow crosswalks in. I saw this week that Dallas got approval for them as well but they will have to be maintained with private funding which I don't have a problem with.
    Rainbow Crosswalks:

Vancouver (Davie District):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rainbow-crosswalk-in-vancouver.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	15491

Name:	rainbow-crosswalk-vancouver.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	15489

Name:	vancouver-rainbow-crosswalk-2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	728.7 KB 
ID:	15490

Seattle (Capital Hill):

Name:	rainbowsidewalk-flickr_gordon_werner.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	15492

Name:	WP_20150711_13_23_31_Pro-copy.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	15493 note the bike lanes

Name:	SeattlePrideRainbowRoadAbstr.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	15494
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

9. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Also if it isn't posted here; a good site to keep track of the proposed street reconfiguration: http://jaokc.com/portfolio/39th-stre...-enhancements/
    nice, but the best option isn't shown:

sidewalks with lighting and trees near the curbs, then bike lanes then parallel parking then one lane of traffic then median then repeat the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

sidewalks with lighting and trees near the curbs, then bike lanes then parallel parking then one lane of traffic then median then repeat the other side.
    I believe that was only community input. This is said on the website:

Check back soon for updates and a preliminary report of the project.
    So I think in the coming times we will get a more detailed document to view on the proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

Actually, that exact option was chosen by groups 7 and 10; they're shown under the "Community Designs" column on the right side of the page, near the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Actually, that exact option was chosen by groups 7 and 10; they're shown under the "Community Designs" column on the right side of the page, near the bottom.
    I assume based off of those we will get more detailed plans and renderings soon?

From Discover on Google https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/us/am...rnd/index.html
    Interesting blurb on the rainbow crosswalks in Ames, Iowa.
    Last edited by Edmond Hausfrau; 10-01-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    From Discover on Google https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/us/am...rnd/index.html
    Interesting blurb on the rainbow crosswalks in Ames, Iowa.
    If the standard in the letter is correct, the crosswalks in Film Row don't meet the standards. The ones in Bricktown that are brick but have a white line next to bricks would barely meet the standard imho

Yes. I suspect most cities would do what Ames did and just ignore the federal. There are some awesome crosswalks in East Village, Des Moines that are painted beautifully. (Can't upload my photos as Google photos is a goat roping rodeo when it comes to BB code)

16. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

I can see the federal government having their standards, but who needs the federal government to build crosswalks in cities?

17. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Not sure of the exact timeline but the money has been allocated and once they get a bit more input, they should start the design/plan process.

I was only able to be at the very first part of last night's meeting but I'll see if I can find some details. I know they are moving this thing along.
    Any update of the timeline? Hopefully, they will move this along quickly. It has been needed for quite some time.

The Copa permanently closed at Habana Sat. night playing Donna Summer's Last Dance. Starting Friday, it will reopen at Angles along with the Finishline. The closed nightclubs at the Habana will reopen as La Bootz and Club Exile.

Angles has been remodeling inside and will start on the exterior later on. According to Facebook, country music will start the opening hours with dance music starting at 11:30 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    According to Facebook, country music will start the opening hours with dance music starting at 11:30 pm.
    Oh no! Country? Actually I enjoy country but way back my brother-in-law (the Wes Steven's Trio) played the Copa regularly and he certainly wasn't country. Country should do well there.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Oh no! Country? Actually I enjoy country but way back my brother-in-law (the Wes Steven's Trio) played the Copa regularly and he certainly wasn't country. Country should do well there.
    C. T.
    C.T. the finishline was a country club. they are combining the two into one space so will start with country music then switch to dance club later in evening. I think this will add to the "strip" traffic a bit on actual 39th street but fear the end is near for Habana and the clubs spaces left behind there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    C.T. the finishline was a country club. they are combining the two into one space so will start with country music then switch to dance club later in evening. I think this will add to the "strip" traffic a bit on actual 39th street but fear the end is near for Habana and the clubs spaces left behind there.
    Do you know if there is still a plan for a roof-top space at the Habana? I figured both the Copa and Finishline spaces would open with new names but the same feel in each space, but perhaps not. The decision to "combine" Finishline and Copa is quite interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Do you know if there is still a plan for a roof-top space at the Habana? I figured both the Copa and Finishline spaces would open with new names but the same feel in each space, but perhaps not. The decision to "combine" Finishline and Copa is quite interesting...
    If I am honest I don't have much faith in anything happening at Habana. it seems like a lot of talk without the capital to back it up. the reason for the move is those bars were rented spaces and the bar owners who rented the space own the space of ANGLES. The copa went almost 2 months without A/c because Habana wouldn't get it fixed when it went down. the owners chose not to renew leases and move the bars into the ANGLES space. I am sure the owner of Habana will attempt to open the clubs with just new names but whatever is left in the spaces but with the loss of the rent for those spaces I see them running out of cash even sooner than they would have otherwise .. so time will tell.

I drove by there last weekend and it looked like some degree of construction is going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are having a community meeting at Expressions Church this evening and I stopped by for a bit.

City staff were leading and they were sharing the feedback they received from Pride the were going to conduct an input session.

$1.6 million for streetscape and the like.

Good turnout and I really look forward to this finally being done.
    Any update on this? After the meeting for public input, J&A said they hoped to have a plan up on their website by last summer, but nothing. With the money allocated I assume it's a go, but no idea when or what the final design will be....

There are two murals set for consideration by the OKC Arts Commission on Monday, May 16. The longer one would be on the long side of Apothecary 39 and the other would be in the alleyway behind it.

https://agenda.okc.gov/sirepub/cache...0103443607.PDF

Name:	mural_2.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	16078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mural_1.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	16079

https://agenda.okc.gov/sirepub/cache...0103624689.PDF

Name:	mural_3.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	16080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mural_4.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	16081

I love these and hope this is just the start of more public art on this area preceding the streetscaping. I wish it were more visible (e.g., the big blank wall facing east toward Penn) rather than just down an alleyway, but it'll still be pretty cool. Are the future plans to make this alleyway more a part of the public space, and hence the investment?

Thread Information