Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 LastLast

Thread: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

Default Re: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

Great article for the area. So glad to see the upgrades the city did to the streetscape and the new cafe bistro is a nice addition. But the area lags far behind the other entertainment districts. There's really nothing to do there during the daytime. We'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Great article for the area. So glad to see the upgrades the city did to the streetscape and the new cafe bistro is a nice addition. But the area lags far behind the other entertainment districts. There's really nothing to do there during the daytime. We'll get there.
    Another great article for the area: "This city in the South is a surprise hotspot for gay nightlife" - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...be8f54ff&ei=92

It will be interesting to see if the District Hotel ever gets their other big bar space reopened. Or come up with a different idea for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mayor Holt played a role in getting the bill shelved to ban drag queen showings around minors. If true, and if he was a Democrat, it would never have succeeded.

Still not sure this district is really going to take off until whenever ODOT rebuilds this stretch of I-44, which hopefully will also entail no longer having it be one of the ugliest stretches of freeway in the entire state.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Still not sure this district is really going to take off until whenever ODOT rebuilds this stretch of I-44, which hopefully will also entail no longer having it be one of the ugliest stretches of freeway in the entire state.
    The newest owners of District have made much progress. the previous owner made terrible decisions and was very divisive within the community. The new owner has turned around the bar formerly "the living Room" and is now having great attendance even throughout the week. they are working with entertainers and other bars on the strip and building community. the pool renovations have taken off and the pool is packed as a day club and into the night and even the Rainbow Bistro delivers food poolside. they seem to be headed in right direction. I heard they closed down the east pool this week to resurface it and convert to salt water. I think plans are in the works for the west club space as well. I am happy to see some progress.

The boom is also under new ownership and making some changes. Its nice to see some movement on the strip and a bit of new life around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    The newest owners of District have made much progress. the previous owner made terrible decisions and was very divisive within the community. The new owner has turned around the bar formerly "the living Room" and is now having great attendance even throughout the week. they are working with entertainers and other bars on the strip and building community. the pool renovations have taken off and the pool is packed as a day club and into the night and even the Rainbow Bistro delivers food poolside. they seem to be headed in right direction. I heard they closed down the east pool this week to resurface it and convert to salt water. I think plans are in the works for the west club space as well. I am happy to see some progress.

The boom is also under new ownership and making some changes. Its nice to see some movement on the strip and a bit of new life around.
    OMG the Boom is under new ownership? What happened to the previous owner? Hope to see more daytime retail, burger shack or margarita bar lol. Something fun.

OMG the Boom is under new ownership? What happened to the previous owner? Hope to see more daytime retail, burger shack or margarita bar lol. Something fun.
    Good question. Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Another great article for the area: "This city in the South is a surprise hotspot for gay nightlife" - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...be8f54ff&ei=92

It will be interesting to see if the District Hotel ever gets their other big bar space reopened. Or come up with a different idea for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mayor Holt played a role in getting the bill shelved to ban drag queen showings around minors. If true, and if he was a Democrat, it would never have succeeded.
    I will say it. Mayor Holt and Councilman James Cooper are the best faces of OKC in every possible way. They are both great policy stewards and they are great negotiators. They are the epitome of what good government should be and what we often are missing on the national level. They make me proud to live here and I believe they are truly representative of the majority of people in this city I love so much. Proud to have them representing us on the international stage. If only we had leadership like this on the state level, which is currently an utter embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I think Kitty Bob Aimes and her/his partner owned the Boom since 2009. Have no idea why they thought it was a good time to sell it. She took over hosting the Sat. night show after the late great Ginger Lamar went into retirement.

Earlier this month it was sad that Donnie Wilson, the flamboyantly dressed doorman for the Boom passed away. He was well known and admired. He had regularly picked up trash in the 39th St. area. KFOR recognized his efforts by rewarding him $400 several years ago. Sometimes his son would help. https://kfor.com/news/pay-it-4ward/an-oklahoma-man-spends-his-free-time-on-trashy-street-corners-and-in-filthy-alleys-heres-why/?
    ipid=promo-link-block1
    "]https://kfor.com/news/pay-it-4ward/an-oklahoma-man-spends-his-free-time-on-trashy-street-corners-and-in-filthy-alleys-heres-why/?
    ipid=promo-link-block1
    [/URL]

His obit: https://www.wadleysfuneralservice.co.../donnie-wilson

I will say it. Mayor Holt and Councilman James Cooper are the best faces of OKC in every possible way. They are both great policy stewards and they are great negotiators. They are the epitome of what good government should be and what we often are missing on the national level. They make me proud to live here and I believe they are truly representative of the majority of people in this city I love so much. Proud to have them representing us on the international stage. If only we had leadership like this on the state level, which is currently an utter embarrassment.
    Well said!

Brett and Jon sold the Boom I believe towards end of year last year. They were the original owners who had began the Boom on 36th and then built the current location and business. Brett ( Kitty Bob ) agreed to stay on hosting shows and gospel brunch for a while. I believe recently that came to an end as well. Not sure as to the reason for selling other than perhaps wanting to retire and travel more is my assumption.
    I did reach out to new owners inquiring if the front bar space would continue to be smoking. It had went non smoking at one point and then back to smoking. I was told they are currently working on a west smoking patio and then the front bar would become non Smoking. The back show bar area has always been non-smoking.

Thank you for the information!

Don't know if it's been mentioned but The District Hotel is up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Don't know if it's been mentioned but The District Hotel is up for sale.
    I saw the real estate sign. I just need to win the lotto so I can flip that place into a fabulous Mid Century Modern Palm Springs Hotel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9094.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	595.5 KB 
ID:	18174

I saw that! Great addition to the district!

16. Default Re: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1696964335779.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	18368
    Looks like Traffic is holding a meeting to discuss the reverse angle parking on Monday

Default Re: Article: 39th Street District gets a big makeover

I will say that the new owners of the District Hotel and other bar/business owners in this area are doing an amazing job of making this area more of a destination spot. They've just announced a Route 66 Pride Market on November 18th starting at noon. Various vendors and food options. There's still a few empty buildings that need occupied. Would love to see a book store/coffee shop open up. New artwork has been added to the street scape. It's so much better than just a few years ago! I believe the Hotel is still in the process of remodeling two of their bars and working on a restaurant. Lots of hard work being done!

I will say that the new owners of the District Hotel and other bar/business owners in this area are doing an amazing job of making this area more of a destination spot. They've just announced a Route 66 Pride Market on November 18th starting at noon. Various vendors and food options. There's still a few empty buildings that need occupied. Would love to see a book store/coffee shop open up. New artwork has been added to the street scape. It's so much better than just a few years ago! I believe the Hotel is still in the process of remodeling two of their bars and working on a restaurant. Lots of hard work being done!
    Has anyone here been to the record store yet? Been meaning to check it out.

Not yet. But soon.

I will say that the new owners of the District Hotel
    I didn't realize they property actually sold. Hopefully that is good news. Who are new owners? Local? Announce any plans?

They are local. They have OU/OSU game day watch parties. They are doing a lot of remodeling/updating bars and future restaurant. They’ve update the pool area with lights and sound so it’s a big draw in the warmer months. So they are very active in the community unlike the previous owners. Follow them on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Has anyone here been to the record store yet? Been meaning to check it out.
    i have it has some novelty items and used records for the most part. a lot of the records are singles that came from the old Park and Angles so some good finds of dance tracks if that is your thing.

The new art in the intersection is very cool.. different height wind spinners that depict all the different pride flags. its a great addition. just good to see some interest.

the new owner of district has done a lot they are currently working on opening a new bar in the old Finish line space.. the space will have bar service to the west pool. they have heated both pools I believe and added tons of lighting and sound. there are also cabanas for rent. they were running late night pool parties till 4am as club aquatic. of course not bar service till 4. they have started having local businesses them suites at the hotel as well and redone one of the lounges to host watch parties. its nice to see someone breathing new life into the place although i'm not out all that much or late. I am more of a happy hour guy these days.

I noticed that Apothecary 39 closed awhile ago. They had a banner out front that said The Park would be returning, but now I don't even see that. Lots of work being done on the old Wreck Room space next door.

I think they took the sign down to install new windows. They’ve been replacing all those street facing windows. There’s new lighting in that space next to The Park. I don’t know if it’s going to be all one bar or two separate ones?

Scott Wilson, 39th Street nightclub pioneer passed away. Mr. Wilson sued the city over their harassment. I didn't know Mr. Wilson but I am sure there are others that can tell more about him.

https://www.okgazette.com/news/from-...rt-two-2947675

Thread Information