Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

1. Default Re: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

that vacant lot is just DYING for an Edge type of Apartment complex, retail bottom development. But I agree it is definitely looking better than ever in the district.

I wonder if folks should start to evangelize to Chicago, Dallas or other cities, maybe they might be interested in expanding some business opportunities to help liven up OKC's district?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

These districts always evolve in steps over time, and this project is a big step forward and you can already see more investment being made in the area.

I would expect plenty more to follow.

That would be great! Long over do. I mean there's that empty lot that's a perfect location for development.

Apologies if already posted, but when will there be some landscaping with this project?

The new car wash is now happening their grand opening.

That car wash has been doing occasional free days with a sale attempt on their subscription model. I didn't sign up, but I did appreciate the free wash.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That car wash has been doing occasional free days with a sale attempt on their subscription model. I didn't sign up, but I did appreciate the free wash.
    We signed up for one because the promotion was something crazy like $3 for 3 months unlimited. Just ran out recently. We still use them occasionally. Just as good as Okie Express IMO and cheaper.

Awesome! I need to frequent this area more. I can’t wait to see the new investments here that are to come.

I read that today. 39th street district has improved but more investment needed IMO. But glad to see steps taken to better the area!! Other areas of OKC are just as accepting of the LBGTQ peeps!

I saw a notice that 39th would be closed in sections this week for paving. they had finally framed the retaining wall in front of the boom last week and finished south side of street sidewalks in front of Stars and Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I saw a notice that 39th would be closed in sections this week for paving. they had finally framed the retaining wall in front of the boom last week and finished south side of street sidewalks in front of Stars and Phoenix.
    They excavated that area in front of the Boom months ago, and not surprisingly it started caving in (including a portion of the parking lot above) after sitting in that condition for an extended period.

Besides the paving of 39th and the retaining wall, the only other major components that remain are landscaping and lighting.

Retaining wall by boom is finished and street is paved. still needs center line and parking marked. they have began planting the trees down 39th. will look great once landscaping and street lights are installed. now if some of the property owners will spend some time and money on their buildings it would really help. The lights that use to be white round globes down the front of where apothecary is located and old wreck room were removed and super bright lights are in those fixtures. the bulbs were too large to fit inside the globes I believe and i even noticed Tape holding the new bulbs in. tacky!. hopefully they will put the globes and smaller bulbs back in when the street lights are up.

Glad to see the road is finally open both ways in this area. Honestly thought they would make it wider with a bike lane but i guess all of the new parking and larger sidewalks are worth the tradeoff. Have not been to any of the bars since the pandemic but hopefully we go and visit them again soon.

17. Default Re: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

pics anyone

Took these yesterday (Sunday).

Some trees are starting to go in. Still left are the streetlights, most of the landscaping and some small things like benches.

Last photo is from today of them finishing up in front of The Boom.

Is this going to "back-in" angled parking off the street? Hard to tell from photos if there is any paint.

Blog Entries

Yes. I was told this is why there couldn't be bike lanes.

I'm pleased to see that they didn't lock in the back-in parking design by forcing it with how the curbs are shaped. That needs to be open for change if it ends up being a mild disaster.

This looks great. Streetscape investments by cities seem to get some of the most bang for a buck. Lets hope we see some private investment follow quickly like we did elsewhere such as the Plaza District.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Yes. I was told this is why there couldn't be bike lanes.
    I thought one of the main benefits of back-in parking is that it made the street safer for bicycles?

24. Default Re: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    This looks great. Streetscape investments by cities seem to get some of the most bang for a buck. Lets hope we see some private investment follow quickly like we did elsewhere such as the Plaza District.
    I agree this is a huge start that hopefully will garner private investment from the community. I'd LOVE to see the city allow rainbow crosswalks and possibly flagposts to further cement the identify of the district.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I thought one of the main benefits of back-in parking is that it made the street safer for bicycles?
    Correct, but a) I don't personally trust OKC drivers to see me while trying to figure out reverse angled parking and b) You know as well as I do it will eventually be converted back to conventional angled parking when enough people scream about it c) I probably won't travel down this street during any busy times regardless (I've been using 38th anyway)

Thread Information