Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    The district needs a wealthy philanthropist. The streetscape being improved is nice, will it include actual street re-surfacing?
    The street is completely stripped right now.

Blog Entries

I've watched our city get more open and liberated. Recall the big debate when our city hosted the Miss Gay America Pageant back in the mid 80s. Now passing of liquor by drink and medical marijuana seems like we've made progress.

Like all big cities when visiting Houston we passed thru Westheimer/Montrose area and saw what made me take a second look with guys all decked out in leather at one bar. My nephew (lives in Houston) had to explain to me what the district was all about.

When they visit here, they really rave about being in OKC--talking about the good looking guys and what a nice time they had on 39th Street Strip. Just glad to know that OKC offers some similarities of big cities. All of our districts with personalities should be promoted by our city from the Western & Rodeo appeal of Stockyard City to the Asian cuisine of 23rd & Classen as well as our LGBiT district.

Proud and love to take my Texas, Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas relatives whenever visiting our city to any area they desire. They know about the predominantly black towns like Boley, Langston , Clearview and Tatums.

My relatives in Tulsa truly believe that if the Tulsa race massacre hadn't occurred Tulsa would be bigger than OKC; right on the heels of Atlanta had the Greenwood District not been destroyed.

3. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    To be clear, I'm not saying we can't have residential in the gay district. I think it'd be great.

I figured folks living there might get tired of the noise at times, but maybe the way it's built could help with that.

Regarding the owners... I wasn't there, but what I've heard about how they reacted to the bike lanes makes me think they'd be mostly in opposition of any resident demands for the area (for example I could see those folks pushing for bike lanes).
    some folks see this as a draw actually, a 24/7 nightlife lifestyle. And yes I agree we should bring in some restaurants, day shoppes, and businesses - that was why I mentioned retail on the first floor of the development(s) idea as I don't think there's any building currently in the district that could become a restaurant. ..

totally agree that 39th needs a philanthropist. But even moreso, the district needs active participation in the association. Voices (votes) makes things happen. Then space for business to open up and captive residents to patronize (hence my idea of the housing/retail - like Edge in Midtown but more retail).

@Larry, I agree that the city should promote all districts and not just the select few. I suspect the city hasn't really done too much for 39th because they are aware of it's dodgy state - hopefully with the streetscape and some finality with some of the current renovations - the city can feel safer that the district is better on the eyes if you will. Yet another thought were the association can be very powerful.

Most of all - stop embezzling funds people when you get office!!!! You hurt the city, not just your org and (eventually) yourself. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Voice? Oklahoma City Council has an openly gay council member in James Cooper. Many of our council members including the our mayor has visited the area and pushed for more development.

They've been great! There's so much potential but....just trying to get the attention of investors. I mean is any of that area part of a marketing campaign?

That area has always been a total eyesore. Not just the ugly, industrial buildings but the road was a disgrace and there was always lots of trash and junk around.

I fully understand why. Gay bars started to pop up here in the '60s and '70s precisely because it was a relatively undesirable and overlooked area. At that time, very few of the establishments even had signs as the gay population largely wanted to stay off the radar because there was so much discrimination and even violence directed at their community.

So, while gay districts in most large cities are nice little enclaves of shops and restaurants, ours was relegated to a lousy area and that legacy lives on today.

This streetscape project will go a long way. And there has been a bit of new development like The Boom which also bought a horrible long-abandoned neighboring car wash and cleaned it up a bit. The District Hotel (formerly Habana Inn) has been doing a small bit of renovation.

Maybe once this is done it will inspire better upkeep by the existing property owners and maybe even some new development.

I hate to say it since I live nearby, but it's presently pretty awful and I hope the streetscape will help the district turn a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That area has always been a total eyesore. Not just the ugly, industrial buildings but the road was a disgrace and there was always lots of trash and junk around.

I fully understand why. Gay bars started to pop up here in the '60s and '70s precisely because it was a relatively undesirable and overlooked area. At that time, very few of the establishments even had signs as the gay population largely wanted to stay off the radar because there was so much discrimination and even violence directed at their community.

So, while gay districts in most large cities are nice little enclaves of shops and restaurants, ours was relegated to a lousy area and that legacy lives on today.

This streetscape project will go a long way. And there has been a bit of new development like The Boom which also bought a horrible long-abandoned neighboring car wash and cleaned it up a bit. The District Hotel (formerly Habana Inn) has been doing a small bit of renovation.

Maybe once this is done it will inspire better upkeep by the existing property owners and maybe even some new development.

I hate to say it since I live nearby, but it's presently pretty awful and I hope the streetscape will help the district turn a corner.
    Same. I live nearby and frequent the area often (at least I did, pre-COVID). I would love to see things go in that were non-nightlife. Cafes, bookstores, etc. Things to bring people in on foot and to stay a while. This may not be a popular opinion, but driving the area frequently, I honestly think a) the business and design of the 39/Penn intersection (can be hard to cross on front, with no sidewalk connectivity eastward on 39th...) and b) the amount of homelessness/panhandling in this area may really still be a big deterrent to any further investment as it just doesn't feel that inviting. Obviously the issue is a complicated one, and I'm not saying they're all violent, etc., but the presence is notable. Hopefully the streetscape helps spur some imagination and desire for the area, but even with the cleaned up street and trees, etc. beyond the bars the area is still dominated by auto repair shops, storage warehouses, etc. I'm tempering my expectations for the immediate future of being able/wanting to walk up Penn to both the strip and then a short ways north to OAK/PSQ.

8. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

with Cooper in office and hopefully leadership at 39th and Pride sorting things out - somebody can come up with a VISION for the neighborhood.

I have those great, simple ideas but I agree there needs to be daytime as well as nightlife activities in the area for it to be a world class gayborhood. It has the bones, somebody just needs to have a vision and then pool the capital to organically implement a few additions.

Pete, even Seattle's gay district was once in an undesirable area. Not everywhere was as nice as Castro (and even it was undesirable at a time. ..). Have to start from somewhere, same as Chinatowns and most enclaves go actually. ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    39th and Pride
    That's an idea. Rename Penn Ave right there to Pride Ave so that it's literally 39th and Pride.

Unwelcome opinion here, but the owners of many of the buildings don't seem interested in investing a little to improve the look of the neighborhood. There is also a lot of absurd division among people in the community. It's a damn shame.

Also, can we please rename this thread? GLBiT is completely dated. The term has been LGBTQ for many years now.

11. Default Re: NW 39th Street GLBiT District

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    That's an idea. Rename Penn Ave right there to Pride Ave so that it's literally 39th and Pride.
    +1 Awesome!

@guru - I asked to rename the thread a LONG time ago but no action. You have more pull on this forum than me. lol

Default Re: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

A big loss was the Gay Rodeo and the business it attracted for 39th & Penn some years back. While not as big as Gay Pride, it was probably the only other major gay event in the the city. However, it is going to hopefully come back in 2022 after covid canceled its return in 2021.

https://www.greatplainsrodeo.org/2021

That would be awesome!

14. Default Re: NW 39th Street LGBTQ District

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    A big loss was the Gay Rodeo and the business it attracted for 39th & Penn some years back. While not as big as Gay Pride, it was probably the only other major gay event in the the city. However, it is going to hopefully come back in 2022 after covid canceled its return in 2021.

https://www.greatplainsrodeo.org/2021
    This is a great event, and not just for NW 39th.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    This is a great event, and not just for NW 39th.
    Hopefully, the District Hotel will be ready for it, because for now the country bar there remains gutted after one year. I know the pandemic sure hasn't helped matters, but it appears to be getting over with.

Looking good! Are they not going to do the other side? I wish someone would develop that patch of grass into restaurant and retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Looking good! Are they not going to do the other side?

Thanks for the pics! It's really hard to get a sense of the streetscape in person with it only half complete. I think adding the trees is what will really make it inviting. Hope this is just what's needed to spur more investment (already getting one additional upscale cocktail lounge, which is a good sign).

This is great! The cocktail lounge is going to be called Indigo. They are currently working on the inside!

OMG What? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    OMG What? Where?
    2215 NW 39th Street.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 11.32.34 AM.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	17056

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 11.32.54 AM.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	17057

That's the building right west of Tramps, and right across the street north from The Boom. It was going to be called LuLu but they changed the name to Indigo. I think they are even considering doing outdoor seating facing 39th.

Fantastic!!!

Thread Information