Widgets Magazine

Thread: Free OKC EMBARK bus rides all day, Friday, May 15th.

1. Default Free OKC EMBARK bus rides all day, Friday, May 15th.

Free OKC EMBARK bus rides all day, Friday, May 15th.

There is now bus route planning on the EmbarkOK.com web site. It's your chance to try out riding our Oklahoma City buses to a mall, the VA, downtown, or just visit a friend.

Embark's free days for this summer are May 15, June 19, July 17, Aug. 21 and Sept. 18. Source: Embark

Have fun.

Default Re: Free OKC EMBARK bus rides all day, Friday, May 15th.

I've done extensive research into riding the bus. No matter what I do, I just can't make it make sense for me which is really disappointing. The least amount of time it would take me to get to work 7 miles away is 58 minutes.

3. Default Re: Free OKC EMBARK bus rides all day, Friday, May 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I've done extensive research into riding the bus. No matter what I do, I just can't make it make sense for me which is really disappointing. The least amount of time it would take me to get to work 7 miles away is 58 minutes.
    Someday, if we can get bus route frequency down to 15 minutes & all routes extended to late evening & Sunday, bus rides will make sense to many more people. But there are many people who are sight impaired or cannot financially afford a car who are dependent upon the bus system in spite of their trip travel times.

I'm retired & enjoy Embark's free bus ride days. It gives me a chance to explore Oklahoma City without wasting gasoline or wear & tear on my car.

I am fortunate that the bus stops at my house and then 6 blocks from my office. It takes about 5 minutes longer to ride the bus to work as it does to drive. The ride home on the other hand is another story. I usually don't leave the office until after the last run and since the bus does not go north on my street only south it takes twice as long to get home as it does to get to the office. So therefore I drive to and from work.

I can't justify driving to the bus pickup, about 3.5 miles away, then riding for an hour. The walking almost a mile to work.

I guess I could ride a bike, but that still leaves the hour ride to the bus depot.

It takes me 15-30 minutes to drive depending on traffic.

I don't think I'm the target demo though.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH_in_OKC View Post

There is now bus route planning on the EmbarkOK.com web site. It's your chance to try out riding our Oklahoma City buses to a mall, the VA, downtown, or just visit a friend.

Embark's free days for this summer are May 15, June 19, July 17, Aug. 21 and Sept. 18. Source: Embark

Have fun.
    This is really sad. I went to the website and there is nothing on the front page about Free Bus Ride Day (except) when a picture rolls by and when you click on it - nothing. Under "News" - nothing. Last update was April 21 about how riding the bus is good for the environment (it was Earth Day). Under "Alerts" there is detour information for May 11th. Before that, the latest "Alert" is the Winter 2015 and Holiday 2014 schedules!

The Twitter feed is updated often - but nothing about the Free Ride Day. The last tweet was early this morning about a "How To Learn to Ride Public Transit" class they offer. With a Twitter hashtag - misspelled - as #publuctransit"

Just looked at their Facebook page and it's front and center. But, I stay far away from Facebook - I hate it.

Most people, for info like this, would go to their website and It's in bad shape.

I had high hopes with the re-branding and outreach, but it's not off to a favorable impression for me. Maybe I'm being too harsh. But "Alerts" on the front page still showing the Holiday 2014 schedules?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH_in_OKC View Post

Have fun.
    free day reminder.

Embark is doing the Third Fridays Free program again this year, and also extending the program to include Spokies downtown bike share. Today - May 20th - is the first free day of 2016; June 17, July 15, Aug. 19 and Sept. 16 are the other free days this year.

More info: http://embarkok.com/connect/news/bre...tching-the-bus

Thread Information